The successor to the HotPot module

The successor to the HotPot module

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 74
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear HotPot Moodlers,

as you may know I have been working away for the last couple of years on the successor to the HotPot module. The programming challanges have been significant, but the question of what to call the new module has also proved to be mighty tough.

The aim of the new module is to allow any interactive online exercise, made outside of Moodle, to be adminstered through Moodle, using the original quiz creation software and quiz player for that kind of quiz, but storing the results in the Moodle database

Of course the new module can adminster Hot Potatoes 6 exerices, but it will also be able to adminster for example HP5 quizzes, Qedoc units, Examview quizzes, etc, just as they are.

Another major feature of the new module is the use of pre-conditions to control access to any quiz, and post-conditions to control what quiz a student sees next once they have finished a quiz.

I have also put a lot of work into making it very easy to insert sound and audio using a new square bracket notation. You don't have to worry about <object> or <a> tags at all any more. Instead you can use something like: [mysoundfile.mp3] and the new module will insert a suitable player at the point in the quiz.

And to speed everything up, I have completely rewitten the PHP and javascript code, and built-in a cache to store the browser output for each quiz so it is not remade every time.

Finally, on top of all this, the new module will have commercial add-ons which I hope to sell to find the developement and maintenance of the open-source core of the module

So now you know a little of what it does, we should be call it?

The two leading contenders for names so far are:

1. the QuizPort module
  2. the ExternalQuiz module

Number (1) is catchy, I like it a lot, but it has been pointed out that the name clashes somewhat with the Quiz module. Number (2) is very clear but not really suitable for a commercial product.

If you would like to see the new module in action, please have a look at the following site, which has been the main testing ground so far for the new module. It is free to use but for the purposes of full disclosure, please be informed that I helped to build it:

Notice that each QuizPort activity is actually a series of Hot Potaotes quizzes, and your path through the quizzes depends on your scores. Also, those audio players and Flash movies have all be inserted using the square bracket notation.

thanks in advance for your ideas!
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: The successor to the HotPot module

by Marc Grober -
How 'bout TranzPortor, TranzEx, or TranzPozer as you are providing a transport for exam/quiz/assessments/posers? LOL

WIll the new module have a) a spec so that for those formats that are not apparently supported one can make a determination about what to do; b) the ability to manage images fully and if so, how is the image store in moodledata managed; c) reverse processing (i.e. will it be able to export as well as import such that for example the hotpot repository will be unnecessary because we can tranzpoze these to a Moodle format seamlessly so there is no argument that hotpots are not specifically moodle so they should be stored elsewhere .... d) have SCORM-like (for lack of a better way to talk about it) architecture i.e. manifest etc

WIll print formatting options be provided?

WIll it run afoul of asciimathml.js or other justintime js display technology like quiz.js does?

And, because there always has to be a little time for selfishness, since I have to deal with Diploma 6 and EZTestOnline, will these be addressed?

WHere do I sign up for commercial products (is it advertisding is someone asks?)

thanks gordon.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Marc,
I knew you would come up with some cracking names! Please keep them coming.

The new module has a spec of sorts which lays out the database fields and report structure. I am also very mindful of embedding phpdoc comments into the code so that a lot of documentation can be produced automatically by phpDocumentor.

You will not be able to "fullly manage" images with this module. The images. sound files movies are inserted using a glorified filter system. You can add your own filters if you want.

There's no importing or exporting. The point is that you use the quiz files as they are. It will be possible to cross-port them, so that for instance you have a quiz file made with Hot Potaotes, but you want to display it view Qedoc ro via a new Flash player. That will be possible.

The information that a SCORM manifest maintains is stored among the database tables that the new module maintains. You can view the list of quizzes in the unit, switch the order around, add pre-/post-conditions, delete/add quizzes all via the pages that the new module provides.

By print formatting options, you mean print the quizzes? That would be handled by the software you use to create the quizzes. It will be possible to downlaod and print reports, as the current HotPot module does.

I don't know how it works with asciimathml.js or justintime.js but if you could send me a couple of Hot Potatoes quizzes that use those, I would gladly include them in my bank of test materials.

There are no plugins yet for Diploma6 and EZTestOnline, but it is good to know about them andif I can find funding I will certainly be glad to investigate them further.

I'll let you know about the commercial side of this module at a future date (because I haven't got the details straight yet)

all the best
Gordon

by Marc Grober -
Gee, I thought I hit a century with TranzPozer © 2008 - LOL!

Image wise here is the continuing problem: Professor Paul is required to use a text from Big Time Publishing Inc, is an hourly employee and is not paid for prep, test setting or correcting/marking, so he relies on Big Time Publishing's test bank. However, BTP does not use asciimath or jsmath or Tex, so all the Math problems are done as gifs..... BTP s app will export this testbank to half a dozen different flavors of WebCT and BlackBoard (Prof Paul gets dizzy just thinking about it) but no matter what he has tried the gifs do not transfer to Moodle. The best he has been able to do is manually move al images to a directory and then provide the export utility with a URL (which can be problematic using Moodle). Will your module make his life easier (he could certainly use a break.....)

Package wise: In trying to deal with the above Prof Paul realized that seemingly nothing is packaged or imported the same way. Some packages require reference to dat files, some to xml manifests, some to a resource in a folder, some outside the folder and no matter what he does there seems to be a fifty per cent chance he will get the dreaded "pink bar". Hot Pot units are easy, as everything is inside the native hotpot file..... but what about these other formats?

Printing: Yes, Student Stan will not have access to his Moodle for a week and wants to explore with Prof Paul his options for doing some quizzes. Will he be able to print the quiz out from the Moodle without printing the entire web page (apparently not?) But, will you have commercially available tool so that he can download the quiz and do it offline?

Asciimathml or other equation display technology (justintime.js is makebelieve and I used it as a placeholder for any filter like application that parses and displays in realtime): Sending you something won't serve to test unless you have asciimathml etc available to you on your test system. If you are interested in testing this out it only takes a few minutes to look at this and I will happily help you with this if you are interested. Some of the issues here have been that the Moodle quiz module uses quiz.js which apparently conflicts with some other js scripts that are run at display time, such as asciimathml. If there is no runtime js, then there is no issue. I have tested the current hotpot module with asciimathml and it works without a flaw.

Diploma and EZTestOnline: These are college level test banks apps from Houghton Mifflen and McGraw Hill .... they both export to several flavors of Web CT and BlackBoard, but it is almost impossible to figure out what will get you the most bang for the buck. In other words, if I want to export to an intermediary format, what would be the best choice for your new module? BTW, If you are interested let me know and I will ship you some examples so you can look at the native as well as exported formats.....

A rose by any other name.......... : As a behavioralist (oh NO!) I see everything as a trial, so from my standpoint there is arguably no diff between a "lesson" and a quiz, and I think, that is what you may be intimating in your description of the branching and navigation capabilities inherent in your module...... Am I on the same page with you here?

In reply to Marc Grober

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear Prof. Paul,
I hear from cricket-loving colleague of yours that you want to use mathematical equations in quizzes dished up via Moodle. Have you tried Moodle's Tex filter? It works pretty well in the standard Quiz module. Usually it works OK in the HotPot module too, but there may be sometimes problems in JCross and JMix (see here and here for details). Rest assured, the Tex filter will work fine in the successor to the HotPot module - I have already checked! In fact ALL standard Moodle filter's will work with the new module, including the Glossary filters (if that's what the teacher wants).

If, like me, you think that "Hot Pot units are easy", then you will love the successor to the HotPot module because you can just upload your unit of Hot Pot quizzes a few clicks later they have been added to your Moodle course as a single unit. You don't have to worry about importing/exporting to another format, because it is not necessary.

Stan,
I understand you wish to take paper copies of your quizzes away with you on the brainstorming session with Prof. Paul. Probably your quiz creation software (Hot Potatoes, Exam View, whatever) has a print function, so you could use that. The successor to the HotPot module doesn't have a print function built-in. However, because the browser output for a particular type of quiz is generated by its own PHP class (=distinct program module), then it is very possible to add print functions, or jingly-jangly, tinsel-tangly jump-up-and-down-and-dance-the-mambo functions, anything you like, as long as you can find a programmer to implement it once, it will be there for ever more.

Similarly for Diploma and EZTestOnline, to make these formats work with the new module would require writing a PHP class that knows how to do at least (1) and (2) and possibly (3) in the list below:
  1. display a quiz:
    accept an input file, folder or URL, and optionally a configuration file, and generate suitable content for the browser/device that is trying to view the quiz

2. store the quiz results:
    receive the quiz results from the browser and store them in either the standard database tables or some tables used only by this type of quiz

3. display a report of the results:
    compile the quiz results into reports for the students and teachers
Regarding horticulture and the new module, I would say that "yes", it does things that other modules do, and vice-versa. It's unique point is that it allows content to be edited outside of Moodle yet used within Moodle. As a result, teachers can use their favorite quiz editor to generate content, and their favorite quiz player to view it. Generally, these editors and players are more user-friendly (=elegant, engaging, understandable and manageable) than the static HTML interface offered throughout standard Moodle.

Sometimes I think the relationship between Moodle modules is like the relationship between the components of MS Office. Each of them started out solving the problem of storing and presenting data from a different standpoint, but gradually they have evolved to the point where you can create worksheets with PowerPoint and presentations with Word and text documents with Excel. Which one you use depends which you are familiar with and how your brain works. So it is with Moodle modules. The HotPot module, and its successor, is there to help folks familiar with other software, and make their transition to Moodle as smooth and positive as possible.

One further point is that I think there must be tons and tons of non-Moodle material that teachers around the globe have generated. It is just sitting there waiting to become part of a Moodle course. Mobilizing that mountain of educational resources is the grand aim of this new module.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Marc Grober

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

I have been trying to further familiarise myself with Quizport.  I have been using your presentation at the Developers' Meeting.  In the Elluminate format it is very difficult because if you want to watch a particular point again, when you rewind it takes several minutes to buffer again.  The presentation is excellent and seems to contain most things one would need to know.  But for the hard of understanding, like myself, who need to see things several times, it is very difficult to maneouvre.  I wonder if it would be possible to make available a recording of the presentation in a more user-friendly format? (I did try to record it on my computer in Camtasia but only know how to get sound when using a microphone sad).

I did manage to get pre and post conditions to work as I wanted them on the fourth or fifth attemptbig grin.  In your presentation you make 100% a post condition and then you add "same quiz" as a second post condition so that Quizport returns to the same quiz if the student doesn't get 100%.  Adding the "same quiz" as a second post-condition seemed very un-evident to me and I only picked it up after re-running that part of the presentation a few times. 

Two questions regarding Quizport:

1.  It is great that one can include HTML pages in a unit of quizzes.  I want to make it a pre-condition that my students watch a presentation in HTML format before they can do a quiz.  How do I get Quizport to detect when they have watched the presentation and then move them on to the next quiz?  If I add a URL link to the next quiz into the HTML, it moves to the next quiz but the quiz is no longer a Quizport. 

2.  When you add a folder name, Quizport makes all the quizzes in the folder into a unit. But when I tried to choose one quiz in a folder to be the start of a quiz chain, Quizport only added that one quiz, even though the quiz was linked to a series of quizzes.  Maybe I did it wrong? (I have many quizzes in my folders and don't necessarily want them to be all one unit).

It's certainly very exciting.  I can't wait to become fully proficient.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
sorry the only tutorial available at the moment is that demo I did last Sept. I intend to create some better support videos with Camtasia and Captivate - indeed I have them installed on my PC waiting for action, but I need a few more hours in the day smile

Regarding your questions ...

1. You can add an HTML page as a "quiz" in QuizPort. I think QuizPort inserts a continue button at the bottom of the page for students to click when they are ready. If you set the post-condition on the HTML page as "Next quiz" (with no score), they will be shown the next quiz (an HP quiz?) after they click the "Continue" button in the HTML page. You will also need to set the HTML page as a pre-condition on the HP quiz.

2. This sounds like the same problem you reported in the follwoing thread:
The very latest QuizPort will fix that problem, but since I don't think you are able to easily update the QuizPort on your Moodle site, a workaround for you would be to insert class="NavButton" into <button> tags of that first quiz.

If you try that for the first quiz and that allows QuizPort to detect the button and follow the chain, then you know what the problem is and can either change all your other JMatch Intro quizzes or ask your server admin to update QuizPort.

Alternatively, please upload the quizzes to my server and I will investigate.

cheers
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

I recorded your presentation. It is much easier to use. The sound is a bit soft but perfectly clear. I could send it to you if you wish.

I have uploaded a file to your site and put two Quizports on it. In the first one, deb_test, I added the whole folder which is three quizzes and an html. You said:

1. You can add an HTML page as a "quiz" in QuizPort. I think QuizPort inserts a continue button at the bottom of the page for students to click when they are ready. If you set the post-condition on the HTML page as "Next quiz" (with no score), they will be shown the next quiz (an HP quiz?) after they click the "Continue" button in the HTML page. You will also need to set the HTML page as a pre-condition on the HP quiz.

The first "quiz" is the HTML g_presentation (sorry you will have to forward to next page at botton). It doesn't appear to have a "continue" button (my one is there but that's irrelevant). When I did the same on my site I got a navigation bar at the top, which I don't see on your site curiously. When I clicked on the name of the next quiz in the navigation bar it repeated the presentation. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Secondly, regarding adding one quiz as the first in a chain rather than the whole folder. You said:

This sounds like the same problem you reported in the follwoing thread:

The very latest QuizPort will fix that problem, but since I don't think you are able to easily update the QuizPort on your Moodle site, a workaround for you would be to insert class="NavButton" into <button> tags of that first quiz.

I don't think it is the same problem because I specifically didn't use a customized file. When I chose 15.e on your site, Quizport added 15.e and 15.f but not 15.g, even though it is linked to 15.f. When I did the same thing on my site it only added 15.e. I haven't tried the tag workaround yet - I would like to work out what I am doing wrong first.

And finally, you mention the very latest version of Quizport. My server only added Quizport a under two weeks ago. Is there something new in the last few days?

Sorry to be so lengthy, Gordon, I am determined to master this and use Quizport with my next course.

Thanks so much in advance.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
thanks for uploading the files to my server.

You can make the Continue button appear by modifying the following line in your h_presentation.html file:
  • OLD: <script type="text/javascript" src="fixprompt.js"/>
  • NEW: <script type="text/javascript" src="fixprompt.js"></script>
I will try to modify QuizPort so it can handle the "OLD" version of the line, but in the meantime please use the "NEW" syntax as a workaround

The chain is not being added because the first quiz file, 15e.jmt, has a next file of 15f.htm but there is no such file in the folder. If you use the html files instead of the jmt, jqz and jcl files you can probably add the chain work in one go.

It might be possible to make QuizPort look for 15f.jqz if it sees the next quiz should be 15f.htm, but I will have to think about the repercussions of that for a few days.

And lastly just note to say that I am working on QuizPort everyday now, so it evolving at a very fast rate. Once a week or so I update the downloadable zip file. As a result, the QuizPort on your Moodle site, is probably not the very latest.

out for now
Gordon

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I was one of the people who was concerned about there being two modules with a name very like 'Quiz'.

But I have not yet thought of a better name. One thought though is that the new module can links to lots of different types of activity, not just quizzes. Then there is the fact that these are activities that are normally external to Moodle, but this module integrates them into Moodle - how well does Port convey that bit? It is like portal, so it is not bad. Anyway, I think those are the two concepts that we want to convey in the name.

Quiz, Activity, Excercise, Lesson, Task, Workout, Assignment...

Port, Remote, Integrated, Integrator, Link, Linker, Linked, In, Inside, ...

I'm struggling here, the best combination I can think of so far is the LinkedLearning module, which at least has alliteration going for it.

But ultimately it is up to you. It is your baby, so you should have the final say over the name.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gordon Bateson -
Tim,
thanks for the suggestions for names. All very welcome.

Your understanding is right, that the new module can administer not only single page "quizzes", but any browser content: static html pages, full-blown courses delivered by a Java applet (as in the case of Qedoc), pages intended for mobile phones, anything, as long as there is a PHP class to generate appropriate device+browser content from the source file for the activity, and then receive and process the "results".

"Port" seems to nicely capture the idea of allowing one thing to flow from where it usually is through into a new space. But how to describe the things that flow through the port, that's the question. qPort, mPort, xPort, and so on are already used as the names for other pieces of software or commercial products. The domain names are already gone.

still thinking ... thoughtful
Gordon
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there,

Out of the blue I can't think of a suitable name for this new activity. However, may I add one further consideration which is that of "translatability" of the new name into various languages. The history of the various names which have been given to the "survey-type" activities in Moodle was an example of what should not be done, as it leads to lots of confusion amongst users, and this is not helped by their translated names into French (pace, Nicolas). We now have: Survey, Choice, Questionnaire and Feedback to choose from! Actually, the "Lesson" activity was not a much better name, and there has been some discussion about the validity of the Quiz name recently on the Quiz forum...

Joseph

What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet. WS.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gordon Bateson -
Joseph,
I see your point. "QuizPort" or "TranzPort" could be difficult to translate into Moodle's 78 languages. On the other hand, it could be very easy if we just leave use those words as they are.

From a translation point of view, "ExternalQuiz" or "ExternalActivity" or "ExternallyCreatedActivity" or "ActivityCreatedOutsideMoodle" would be better right? How do you feel about the "ExternalActivity" module? Is it ExAct-ly what we have been looking for?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon and everybody,

I would prefer a title that does not include the words "quiz" or "test" because I don't use Hot Potatoes (I haven't explored all the other tools that can now be included) for making quizzes or tests, but for creating learning activities. So "ExternalActivity" is fine by me but I've no idea about the translation problems.

Taking into account the points Joseph made, how about a name that does not describe the content but is just memorable in the way "Hot Potatoes", "Google", "Moodle" or "Macintosh" are? And no translation would be necessary. Sorry, I'm not good at coming up with suggestions.

Cheers,
Glenys

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Gordon and all,

What a nice module you made. For me, it's an Integration Module.

About the translatability of the module: I've found it always hard to translate a module name and for some modules, I literally translated the module name to Dutch by lack of a better idea. That is not always the good approach.

So I think you should not care too much about the name being translatable, but try to describe in the name what it does. It is then up to the translator to come up with a good name in the translated version, which can mean something different then the original English name.

An other possibility is a nice acronym, like the GIFT-filter for uploading questions. That solves for a lot of languages the translation problem in one go smile.
  • PQLOM: Port Questions and Learning Objects to Moodle
  • PENCiL: Port quEstions learNing objeCts to moodLe
  • LIAISOn: Link quIzes And learnIng objectS mOodle
more acronym ideas at http://ac.epfl.ch/cgi-bin/ac.cgi

In reply to koen roggemans

by Gordon Bateson -
Thank you very much Koen for your insight and impetus. The acronym chooser is a nifty piece of work!

Putting together the ideas on this thread so far, I am currently thinking of calling the new module the xActivity module.

The full name would be:
  • Moodle's xActivity module powered by the QuizPort elearning integration engine
Internally the code would be stored in the "mod/xactivity" folder, the tables would start with the "xactivity" prefix, and the variables to hold the objects for these instances of these activities would be $xactivity and $xactivities.

On the Moodle user interface the actvities would be refered to as "External Activities" in the plural or an "External Activity" in the singular.

If someone asked "How do I add my Hot Potatoes/ExamView/Qedoc activity to Moodle?", they would be told, "add it to the course page as an External Activity".

It could even be that on the "Add an activity" under "External Activity" there would be a sublist of activities that could be added, similar to the list of assignment types.

How does that sound? Does that seem to capture the way we all think about it?
Gordon

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sounds like we have a winner!

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hmm ... sorry but I can see a problem with "External Activity" is that it might get confused with the new Simple LTI stuff coming down the pipe ... LTI is clearly more about arbitrary external activities and is also more standards based.

More info here on Pigui's blog: http://blogs.dfwikilabs.org/pigui/

I do like "External Quiz" (externalquiz) the best so far for a default name. Remember people can rename it locally using a custom language if it doesn't work for them ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks for that information Martin. I hadn't heard about that.

I listened to the blog and visited the test site, but all I ever saw was a YouTube video being embedded in a Moodle page. From what I have seen, I wouldn't say that was an Activity - it just looks like a way to embed External Resources and give the host of the external resource some control over who can access the resource.

After the initial identity check, there seemed to be no interaction between the external site hosting the resource and Moodle, and there seemed to be no mention of the external site or the resource returning results to Moodle.

I think the "External Resource" module or the "SimpleLTI" module would be better names for what I saw on the video. Or maybe no seperate module at all, just a different "type" of resource.

However, I take the point that the External Activity may sound like you have to go out of Moodle to do the activity, when that's not really the case. It would be more accurate to say that the successor to the HotPot module allows you to take pages of educational content created outside of Moodle and mix them together within Moodle and serve them up via Moodle. The end result is something like a SCORM package, but has richer input, output and reporting facilities.

So I guess we are still searching for an answer ...

by Marc Grober -
btw (he whispers with his fingers crossed) will the new module support a range of Hot Potatoes versions or just 6+?

by Jeroen Kleijn -
QuizLink
In reply to Jeroen Kleijn

by Gordon Bateson -

Marc,
yes, it will be possible to distribute HP 5 quizzes through the successor to the HotPot module. In theory it will be possible to distribute HP4, HP3 and HP2 too. As with the current module you can use the html files or the xml files as the source. You can also define configuration files making it easy to have several quizzes take the same attributes without the need to edit each quiz individually.

It is also possible to set settings for multiple quizzes at once via a page specifically for that task; you select the fields and values you wish to set, select the quizzes you wish those values to be applied to, and then click "Go".

If you use the xml files, and you can view them all through their original Javascript+CSS output formats, or create new output formats. For example, I intend to create Flash based formats for both PC's and mobile phones. The teacher will not need to re-edit the quizzes and the module has the ability to choose to some extent which is the "best" output format for the device+browser that is viewing the content.

The intention all along is minimum effort for the teacher in getting the material out through Moodle.

Jeroen,
thanks for the name idea. Keep 'em coming !

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear HotPotters,
at the Moodle Developer's meeting yesterday, I gave a demonstration of the successor to the HotPot module. The new module was well received, and even drew (written) gasps of "Wow" and "Fantastic" at certain points.

The pre-/post-conditions were particularly appreciated, as were the vertically expanding tables for the reports. Many thanks to all those who sat through it smile

You can view the demonstration for yourself by following the link to Recording of the meeting (password moodle) on the Developer meeting September 2008 page. The demonstration starts from about 50:00 and runs for about 40 minutes. You can fast forward the player by pressing the >> button, or maybe just dragging the vertical bar on the timer.

Over the last few days, I have continued mulling over the name of the module and currently I am thinking of the following:
  • Collage:
    captures the notion of many different parts making up a coherent whole.
    Could be an acronym for "Collection Of Linked Learning Activities Generated Externally" ?

• MeltingPot:
    retains the "Pot" part of the HotPot module, indicates various things are included

• Moodlette:
    because each of these new activities is actually a kind of mini-Moodle course

• MoodlePort
    because the module is port into Moodle for many kinds of externally created activities

• MultiPort
    because you can port a multitude of different types of activity in Moodle using this module
And of course the names that have been suggested already are still there
  • Liason
  • Pencial
  • QuizPort
  • QuizLink
  • TranzPort
I think it is time for a vote. I will see if I can ask Moodle HQ for help in organizing a site wide Choice activity.

best regards
Gordon

by Marc Grober -
Gordon....

One of the long time perqs of building or finding something is naming it....
And while your efforts to elicit, massage, develop, nominate and elect a proper and appropriate name are certainly worthy, I have to suggest that you simply name it after something that means something to you (I mean, after all, if "Hot Potato" is acceptable why not Purple Marrow....?????) and have done with it! Or maybe DemingDrang (a longing for quality management in assessment....) - LOL

OK, I am only half serious (but which half) though the last time I think there was voting, while it was more well-mannered than what I have seen of English practice and certainly more substantive than anything that one might hear when talking about an election in the U.S. the polling was interminable..... LOL

by David Berry -
Gordon.

That demo was very, very impressive and I am looking for it to be released soon. Even better is the fact that you have it running on Moodle 1.9 !

Just to put in my 'apenny worth on the name. Blue Mink sang "What we need is a great big melting pot". Even though the lyrics seem a little trite it does remind me of the way Moodle is developed. So my vote goes for "Melting Pot".

Dave Berry

PS I have just checked when the song was released (1970) - probably before most Moodlers were born sad
In reply to David Berry

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi David,
thanks for the encouragement. I was 8 years old in 1970, but I'm afraid I haven't heard of Blue Mink before. Interesting to know about their song called Melting Pot - thanks !

If anybody would like to play with an "alpha" version of the new module, you can download it from here:
Please be aware that it is not yet ready for a production environment. It's for experimentation and play. In particular it does not have backup or restore scripts yet, so anything you create with it cannot become part of a Moodle backup.

You are also very welcome to come and experiment with it on my server:
If you have any any feedback, error messages, suggestions about the module please post them on this forum.

enjoy!
Gordon

by Josep M. Fontana -
Gordon, following up on the conversation we had in the Hot Potatoes forum, I went back to your demo site and I tried to upload an HP quiz to do some testing with the new module. I got the following error message:

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: extra in C:\Inetpub\Moodle\19\mod\quizport\lib.php on line 704
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Gordon Bateson -
Thanks Josep.

I have fixed that immediate problem. The "Open the QuizPort in a new window" option is not quite perfect yet, but I will work on it today.

cheers
Gordon

by Chris Jackson -
Hi Gordon,

I'm fairly new to HotPot in Moodle so I haven't followed this thread too closely. However I do find navigation easier if you can open exercises in a new window. I can't see a way to do that in the Module. Equally I can't find a Walk The Chalk bar at the top. Is this a Moodle thing or can you include them in the Module?

Cheers

Chris
In reply to Chris Jackson

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Chris,
I'm afraid I wasn't sure if your feedback and questions were about the HotPot module of its successor - the QuizPort module for Moodle 1.9, so I will try to give answers for both.

> However I do find navigation easier if you can open
> exercises in a new window. I can't see a way to do
> that in the Module

The Add/Edit a QuizPort page has settings to open in a new window similar to those for a Resource. On the other hand, the HotPot module has no such settings, so unfortunately you can't open a HotPot activity in a new window.

> I can't find a Walk The Chalk bar at the top

I think you mean the navigation links along to the top of a Moodle page. Could you attach a screen shot of what you see on your screen, and explain what you would like to see instead?

thanks
Gordon

by Chris Jackson -
Hi Gordon

I'm glad to see the new module will be able to open to a new window. I don't see Navigation Links for Hotpot, but that may be a local implementation issue. I'm looking into how to send a screenshot.

Chris

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Chris,
> I don't see Navigation Links for Hotpot

I was referring to the horizontal list of links to the Site page -> Course page -> Hot Potatoes Quizzes -> somename, at the top left of a Moodle page. There are some settings which remove these altogether, but usually they look something like the attached screen shot'

> I'm looking into how to send a screenshot.

On Windows, there is usually a key near the F12 key, that is marked "Print Screen". If you press that then a copy is taken of what is currently displayed on your screen. Then you can open Paint (in the Windows Start -> Accessories menu) and paste screen shot in there, and save it as a jpg.

I'm not sure how to do it on a Mac - but it is probably easier and more elegant smile

all the best
Gordon

by Chris Jackson -
Hi Gordon

It's not the PrintScreen that's the problem, it's how to put it into the forum. I've attached it anyway. Curiously my last post shows a screenshot when I read it in email, but not when directly in the forum. It looks as if the masthead the college inserts may be masking the navigation bar. I'll try to get an answer on that.

Chris

by Gordon Bateson -
Ah yes, I see what you mean. If you switch themes to one of the standard Moodle Themes, can you see the Moodle navigation links then?

by Gordon Bateson -
attn. Glenys, Joseph R., Vince, and other Moodle 1.8 users,

I have fixed up QuizPort to work on Moodle 1.8 as well as Moodle 1.9. You can get it from here:
As before, this version of the software is for experimentation and play. I have not included the backup or restore script, but everything else is there. Please feel free to download it, try it out and post feedback and comments on this forum.

much obliged
Gordon

by Gerald Grow -
Gordon,

How does one use QuizPort? After downloading and unzipping it, what then?

Do I upload it to the Moodle server's mod folder (v. 1.9)? Does it replace the hotpot module?

How does one implement the QuizPort folder of code in order to try it out? (I could not find installation instructions anywhere.)

Thanks,

Gerald Grow

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Gerald,
thanks for downloading QuizPort!

> Do I upload it to the Moodle server's mod folder (v. 1.9)?
Yes.

> Does it replace the hotpot module?
No. It goes in a new subfolder of the "mod" folder called "quizport"

> How does one implement the QuizPort folder of code in order to try it out?
  • Login to Moodle as an administrator
  • Goto to the "admin/index.php" page (click "Notifications" on the Site Administration menu)
  • the install should proceed
  • check that all the messages say "Success"
  • goto Site Administration -> Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities
    and enable the QuizPort module by clicking on the closed eye
  • now you can add a QuizPort activity to any section of any course
It may be helpful to think of a QuizPort activity as a set, or unit of Hot Potatoes quizzes. You can define the path through the quizzes on the Edit Quizzes page by adding pre- and post-conditions to the quizzes.

> Also, just out of curiosity does QuizPort operate without Moodle?
No. The QuizPort module needs Moodle in the same way that the HotPot module needs Moodle

good luck!
Gordon

by Gerald Grow -
Thanks, Gordon, that got the Quizport module loaded into Moodle 1.9.3.

Here's something that may save others some time -- how to get the actual QuizPort activity to display, instead of a label for it.

I used QuizPort to choose a Hot Potatoes file from the Course Files.

It appeared on my First Page list of exercises.

But when I clicked on it, instead of getting the quiz itself, I got a text screen displaying the name I gave the quiz plus a line or two of information about it.

I discovered that, to make the actual quiz appear, I had to be logged in AS STUDENT, not as administrator. When I click on the quiz name as administrator, I get what looks like a summary of its usage.

After a student finishes a QuizPort item, the acknowledgment page contains some VERY nice features. Thanks for them! -- The choice to Retry the quiz, go to an Index of Quizport activities, see Grades, or return to the main Course page. Very nice!

I'm sure this will become clear in the documentation.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Gerald,
great to hear you got QuizPort installed - good for you!

As you have discovered, when you are a teacher, you always see the "Introduction" page of the QuizPort first. This page shows your previous attempts if any and allows you to get to the Edit Quizzes page without actually starting up a quiz.

If you want to see what quiz looks like, just click the "Preview" tab - or I think there is a "Start a new attempt" button too, isn't there?

Thanks for the gentle nudge about documentation smile I have in mind to do this in March. I intend to add help pages to the module itself, and also to add pages on the Moodle docs wiki, and with luck there will be videos showing what to click in what order to make it all very clear.

By the way, I am going full pelt on QuizPort at the moment, so it may well make big improvements each day. For example, today I added a new "Exam" output format for JQuiz activities (no feedback, autoadvance questions, even autoplay sound files if you have the right kind of media player) and I fixed up the forms for Moodle 1.6 and 1.7 so that look and behave like the forms in Moodle 1.9 (even 2.0!)

To enjoy all these new goodies, please download the latest version when you have a chance:
best regards
Grodon

Ang: Re: The successor to the HotPot module

by Morten Brydensholt -

Gordon,

The mod-form.js is missing.

But I added the one from the hotpot-module into the quizport module, and it seems to work

Best regards
Morten

In reply to Morten Brydensholt

Re: Ang: Re: The successor to the HotPot module

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Morten,
thanks for the feedback. I just checked the zip file on the server and it does contain mod_form.js, so it is rather puzzling that it doesn't seem to be in your zip file.

Could you possibly try downloading once again but this time be sure you clear your browser cache before the download. I have been puzzled in the past when I thoguht I was downloading a zip file but actually my browser was giving me a file from the cahce sad

cheers !
Gordon

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: The successor to the HotPot module

by Morten Brydensholt -

Hi Gordon

Yes - now the 'mod-form.js' is there. I was also missing the 'hp.js' file, but it is there now also in my new download.

Thanks.

Morten

In reply to Morten Brydensholt

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: The successor to the HotPot module

by Morten Brydensholt -

Just to straighten things out.

My server didn't want to extract the 'js'-files for some reason. Must be a security issue somewhere on my system.

Best regards
Morten

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gerald Grow -
Using Moodle 1.9.3 here.

I have a folder of Hot Potatoes quizzes on the server. I want to use QuizPort to import those same quizzes into different courses, without actually importing each quiz into the Moodle course folder. My hope is to be able to duplicate a course into many sections, each of which draws upon the same folder of source materials.

So far, I am having mixed results when I try to do this.

First, I can't get the quizzes to import as a chain. I've even tried putting a few at the time into their own folders, but only one gets imported at the time. No chain.

When I import the quizzes one by one, some of the Hot Pots show up in the gradebook; some do not. I can't figure out why. All the quizzes show up on the Front Page. I can take them. But some do not appear in the gradebook.

If I mess up the URL when I import an HP quiz via QuizPort, I can't find a way to correct it. I have to delete that one and start again.

Sometimes when I try to edit a Quizport item, the grade category drop-down does not show; sometimes it does. Sometimes the only way to edit the grade category is to do so in the gradebook itself.

Every time I try to add a QuizPort item, the options come with a password inserted, and I have to delete it every time I open that screen. Is there some way to make "no password required for this quiz" a default?

That's where I am so far. Let me know what to do differently and I'll continue!

Gerald

P.S. Gordon, I've set you up in a teacher role in this course and I've emailed you the URL.

In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear Gerald,
thank you so much the detailed feedback. I am fascinated to read about the ways you have tried to achieve your goal.

There seem to be two things blocking your path to success:
  1. how to create a central repository of quizzes which several courses can access
  2. how to import a whole quiz chain at one go
There are two ways to achieve goal (1)
  • if you are Moodle administrator, you can put the quizzes in the Site files area (Site Administartion -> Front Page -> Site Files). Then when you add a QuizPort (or a quiz within a QuizPort) you set the source file location to "Site Files" and navigate to the required folder/files within the Site Files area

• alternatively you can set up the quizzes outside of Moodle, either on the same server or a different server, in a place where QuizPort can access them via a public http:// url
There are also two ways to achieve goal (2)
  • when you are adding a QuizPort (or a quiz within a QuizPort) specify the folder path, not the file path, in the "Source file" field. QuizPort will then add all the files that it recognizes in that folder. The files will be added in alphabetical order. This method only works if the folder is in the Course Files or Site Files areas, i.e. it will not work if the folder is spcified as http:// url

• alternatively, you can set the "Source file" to be the first quiz in the chain, and QuizPort will try and follow the links or "Next" buttons within the quiz to follow the chain. Generally this works best with HTML files, because the "Next" buttons usually point to an html file. The quizzes will be added in the order QuizPort finds them in the chain. This method works with local files or urls.
Whatever you enter in the source file field, you MUST set "Add quiz chain" to "Yes". You may have to click the "Show advanced" button in order to make the "Add quiz chain setting visible.

hope that helps
Gordon

by Gerald Grow -
Thanks, Gordon, I will try what you suggest. Being able to chain quizzes is a really important feature!

Meanwhile, I located the pre and post conditions settings. To get there, you click the actual quiz from the Front Page, then click the tab "Edit Quzzes."

One thing that confused me was that, at that point, the bottom of the screen can take a few moments to appear, and it contains the settings for conditions. Apparently, I had not waited for it till this morning.

by Gerald Grow -
Here's a dumb question I'd really appreciate an answer to.

I see two ways to upload quizzes to the site files area.

One is to go through Moodle's Add Activity, and upload singly or as a chain.

The other is just to FTP a folder of the files into that part of the moodledata folder on the server.

My question: Does going through Add Activity do anything different from FTPing a folder of files? Does it update the database or create an index or anything?

Will both methods work equally well?

FTPing is a lot simpler and quicker. If it works.

Thanks.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
> Sometimes when I try to edit a Quizport item,
> the grade category drop-down does not show;
> sometimes it does.

I am not exactly sure why this would happen, but it may be that if you set the QuizPort "grade limit" or "grade weighting" to zero, then the grade item (in the Moodle gradebook) is not created. I am still investigating that.

> Every time I try to add a QuizPort item,
> the options come with a password inserted,

It is not supposed to work like that. Are you using a PostgreSQL database by any chance?

> Gordon, I've set you up in a teacher role in this course
> and I've emailed you the URL.

I can't seem to find the email. Could you send possibly send it again please?
gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen ac dot jp

> the bottom of the screen (on the Updating: Quiz page?)
> can take a few moments to appear

That's odd. I wonder does it ALWAYS take a long time to appear, or just sometimes?

> Does going through Add Activity do anything different from FTPing a folder of files?

No. Except that if you FTP the files they might have a different owner and permissions than if you upload the files through the Moodle interface. To avoid that, I usually upload a zip file via Moodle and then click on the "unzip" link that Moodle adds in the file list.

> Does it update the database or create an index or anything?

Basically "no", but perhaps there is an entry made in Moodle's log table. Of course, in Moodle 2.0 it will add a database entry, but your site is Moodle 1.9, right?

FYI, I have made several more key improvements and changes to QuizPort module in the last few days, so please download the lastest version of QuizPort when you have time.

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Gerald,
I had a look at those grade items for QuizPort and I realized that there were some problems with the way that QuizPort creates and deletes grade items. I have fixed those issues now so please download the latest version when you can:
I have added a little utility into the most recent download that will sort out the grade items for you - adding and delting them as necessary. The utility is in the "mod/quizport/db" folder, and to run it you need to install the lastest version of QuizPort and then access something like the following URL:
all the best
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I have put that grade fixing utility into the upgrade scripts for the QuizPort module so that it will happen automatically if you download the latest version and log in as Moodle admin.

thanks for pointing out the problem approve
Gordon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there Gordon and others! Just to say I have finally got round to playing/practising with QuizPort (which I am liking very much btw) and already a couple of my questions have been answered simply by my reading through this forum thread - so keep up the good work and I am sure I will be back with other questions and/or feedback smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Mary, good for you for taking the plunge!
QuizPort needs your feedback so please don't hesitate to send in comments, suggestions and questions.
Gordon

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Gordon,

Wonderful news! I don't subscribe to this forum, so I learned of it as others talked about it on Moodle Lounge. First of all, I like the name QuizPort. Clear and not confusing with the Quiz Module in my mind.

I really love the aim you have set forth...
"...there must be tons and tons of non-Moodle material that teachers around the globe have generated. It is just sitting there waiting to become part of a Moodle course. Mobilizing that mountain of educational resources is the grand aim of this new module." Very exciting. And I hope the commercial side works out so you have time to devote to continuing this effort.

Help with one question. As I read through this thread, I could not be sure how media files are handled. Normally, with Quiz, we upload .jpg .mp3 .mov files into a directory (and have all sorts of permission and import problems to deal with). Will QuizPort do the same? How are the media files handled?

Thanks! Don smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Don,
thanks for the feedback !

> How are the media files handled?

They are handled the same as in the HotPot module - but a little bit better smile

What I mean by that, is that generally media files go in the same folder (or a subfolder) as the quiz file. However, you can additionally use "%sitefiles%" and "%coursefiles%" in your urls to specify that a url is relative to the site or course files folder respectively.

Also, remember that the new module has a filter which recognizes a [square bracket] notation. This means that instead of inserting an <object> or <a> tag for your media, you can just insert something like one of the following:
  • [mysound.mp3]
  • [mysound.mp3 hbs 0 0 center]
The first notation will insert a moodle mp3 player. The second notation will insert the hbs (Half-Baked Software) mp3 player, and what's more the player will be centered on the screen.

So I invite you to play around with the new module and see for yourself, using the download link or access details for my testing site listed above.

regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon

When you explained in a recent post what pre and post conditions do I realised I had to learn how to use Quizport.  The pre and post conditions concept is just perfect - exactly what I was hoping for from a learning management system.  Using your presentation at the Developers Meeting as a tutorial I have been playing with Quizport.  I am blown away by the power of the Quizport module.  I am new to Moodle and have so far only created two large courses, using the Hotpot module.  I have spent hours adding navigation buttons with links to html pages - work that Quizport does away with one fell swoop, and further offers superb options like pre and post conditions.  The results display in Quizport is far, far clearer too.  I'm sure there's a lot more Quizport has to offer but that's as far as I've got.

However, I have a problem which at the moment precludes me from using Quizport with the material I have created so far.  As you know I have used Michael Rottemeir's customisations in my courses.  The Intro customisation works in Quizport, but the second page comes out on a transparent background.  In other words the drag and drop items are workable but they are seen with the Moodle home page as a background so it looks very odd.  And the JMemory game doesn't seem to work atall:  using the jtm file it comes out as a normal drag and drop and using the html file it is completely broken.

I know you mentioned that you intend to make JMemory workable with Quizport, and hopefully Intro.  Are you able to give any indication of when this might happen so I can plan how to proceed with the material I have and with material I want to create?

Thanks so much Gordon.   

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
thanks for giving QuizPort a test drive !

> ... make JMemory workable with Quizport, and hopefully Intro.  
> Are you able to give any indication of when this might happen

If things run their natural course that work is probably several months away at the earliest. If you can raise some funds to sponsor the work - it would probably take 5-10 hours of my programming time at $50 per hour - I could do it sooner.

cheers
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hmm I'd love to but I'm a shoestring startup.....

Thanks for the guide anyway - it helps me to plan.

Deborah

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

Thanks very much for the code for the "continue" button.

I see now how I caused the confusion by mixing up htm and jmt/qz etc. files. blush

Thanks so much for helping me with that.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,

I have fixed QuizPort so it can follow an HP chain in a situation like this, where although a non-existent html file is specified in the next URL field, the source file (jcl, jcw, jmt, jmx, jqz) does exist and can be use to continue the chain.

I would like QuizPort to be as intuitive as possible, so where possible I try to make it behave according to the Do What I Mean principle smile

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Deborah,
it seems the self-closing <script ... /> tags, of which there is one example in the g_presentation.html, are problematic for browsers. Both IE and FF seem to expect a separate closing tag, i.e. </script>, and will often ignore content that follows a <script ... /> tag.

If have fixed QuizPort so it will convert any self-closing <script ... /> tags to the more generally acceptable form, <script ...></script>

cheers
Gordon

by Gerald Grow -
Gordon,

Do you know whether Quizport can be installed in the desktop version of moodle, such as Moodle4Mac?

I have experimented with this a little, but I'm getting some inexplicable results, so I wanted to ask before going any further.

Thanks,

Gerald

P.S. I could not figure out how to start a new topic on the discussion board, so this message is tacked onto another one and may be out of context.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Gerald,

> Do you know whether Quizport can be installed
> in the desktop version of moodle, such as Moodle4Mac?

Can't say definitely, because I have never tried, but I can say almost certainly, since QuizPort only accesses the database reads from the course files folder, which all Moodle modules should be allowed to do.

> I'm getting some inexplicable results

Could you give a short description or a screen shot of your experience?

> I could not figure out how to start a new topic on the discussion board

For future reference ...
all the best
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi again Gordon,

I am wondering whether to ask my host to update their Quizport version? Would you advise that now would be a good time or are you expecting to make more developments in the next couple of weeks? Sorry, I am sure it's not a straightforward question.....

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,
I just made some important changes, so I suggest you wait a week for things to settle down a bit.
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

I don't know if this is a viable request, but could you let me know when you think it would next be appropriate to ask my host to update Quizport? It is apparently about 30 minutes testing work each time they update, so I don't want to keep asking. Meanwhile I think I'll take a short break with my Quizport experimentations so that I don't end up bombarding you with queries for things that have already been resolved.

Thanks so much.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,

> could you let me know when you think it would
> next be appropriate to ask my host to update Quizport?

OK, I will let you know. It will probably be around June 1st. In the meantime, if you want to keep experimenting on my server you are welcome. It always has the very latest version of QuizPort.

QuizPort actually resides in a Subversion repository (Subversion is system for controlling software version). In the future I intend to arrange for QuizPort to be available either directly from the Subversion repository or via the "contributions" area of the Moodle CVS repository.

Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon

I've just notice something strange. When I log into my site as a student, the Quizport shows up on the Course Page under the name of the course the student is enrolled in. It also gives grade and status information.

If you wish I can enrol you as a student so you can see what I mean.

Thanks.

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
I think you are talking about the "MyMoodle" page. When Moodle displays this page it asks each activity module if there is anything it wants to display on the page. The HotPot module doesn't display anything, but QuizPort does.

You can check if your website has "MyMoodle" enabled as follows:

• Site -> Administration -> My Moodle
  • the url of the site page will be http://something/moodle/my/

... or do you mean something else?

Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Yes Gordon, well deduced, it is My Moodle. I set it up because I only want the students to see the course they are enrolled in when they enter the site. But I think it is confusing if they see the Quizports on this page.

by Gordon Bateson -
> But I think it is confusing if they see the Quizports on this page

I see. Perhaps we could put a switch somewhere, although I don't think any of the other modules have such a switch, they either print something (assignment, chat, forum, lesson, quiz, quizport) or they don't (choice, exercise, glossary, hotpot, journal, lams, resource, scorm, survey, wiki, workshop)

The two places that QuizPort could put a switch are:
  • Site administration -> Modules -> Activities -> QuizPort
    this would affect all QuizPorts on on the whole Moodle site
  • Course page -> click any QuizPort -> Update this QuizPort
    this would control the display of a single QuizPort on the My Moodle page
If any one else reading this message has ideas about the display of QuizPorts on the My Moodle page, or the non-display of HotPots, please add a comment or two to this thread.

thanks
Gordon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Gordon; you talk about the "successor" to the Hotpot module and I was just wondering when/how Quziport will eventually fit in with Moodle 2.0? I know it is compatible with it as I read you made it on Moodle 2.0 but will it still remain an additional extra module -when do you hope or see it becoming part of the standard install?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Mary,

> I was just wondering when/how Quziport will eventually fit in with Moodle 2.0?

I think, hope and believe it will be a standard module in Moodle 2.0. It is unlikely that it will be called "QuizPort", or even "Quziport" smile, because that name would clash with the current Quiz module. I have a name in mind, but I need to clear that with Moodle HQ before I make it public.

Once the name is decided, I will fix up the module so that the internal functions, constants, classes, strings and variables are named appropriately and release the new module as contributed module for Moodle 2.0 available via the "contrib" section of Moodle CVS repository.

I envisage this work being done over the next few months, so that it will become available from Moodle downloads some time September or October. ... maybe wink

> I know it is compatible ...

Yes, the QuizPort module is certainly compatible. It is compatible with all uptodate versions of standard Moodle, from 1.0 through to Moodle 2.0. I know for sure that it works equally well on MySQL, PostgreSQL and MSSQL databases. I have also personally confirmed that Hot Potatoes quizzes work in all major browsers including IE6, IE7, IE8, FF2, FF3, Safari 3, Opera 9, on Windows and MacOSX operating systems. The Qedoc quizzes will work on any computer with Java 6 (a free download). I have done my utmost to make the the QuizPort module fast, robust, secure and flexible. I believe it is industrial-strength software, ready to use out-of-box but supremely flexible and infintely extendable.

all the best
Gordon