Weighted Grades in Moodle 1.9 Gradebook

Weighted Grades in Moodle 1.9 Gradebook

by Mike Brinkman -
Number of replies: 6

One of our instructors is having a problem with using weights in his gradebook. He's used Moodle in the past and says he knows how to do it, but from what I've read here on the forum, it's another 1.8 -> 1.9 feature downgrade. I've looked over several other postings and been unable to figure out how to do it in 1.9. We have tried by assigning a number to the category totals, but that doesn't seem to have worked. He is grading 75% on tests, 25% on attendance. The total grade is adding up only out of the attendance category. Is this a bug in my gradebook, or is this a known issue with 1.9, or is he simply doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your answers.

In reply to Mike Brinkman

Re: Weighted Grades in Moodle 1.9 Gradebook

by J m -

I can't envision what you mean by your statements.  Do you have weighted means of grades at the topmost level and simple weighted at the individual categories?

So, at the course level in categories and items the aggregation is Weighted and each category under this (your 75%, 25%) one has the aggregation set to simple weighted?

In reply to J m

by Myriam Legault -
I seem to be having the same problem... I have a course with 2 categories, Quizzes & Essays. Moodle calculates the total for my Quiz category, but not the Essay category is just blank. Very frustrating... can't figure it out! Any ideas? I'm attaching a screenshot because it's too big to post here.

moz-screenshot-5.jpg

moz-screenshot-3.jpgmoz-screenshot-4.jpg
In reply to Myriam Legault

by Marc Grober -
I think I saw something similar when the categories were not simple....
Cmpare your set-up to this:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_%22Weighted_Mean_of_Grades%22_to_weight_categories_containing_assignments
and let me know what you find.... or just start fresh paying close attention to the diff between weighted as to the course and simple as to the sub-categories....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Myriam Legault -
Thanks, Marc. Reading through that article helped me figure out the issue: I had to add a weight under "Item weight" when setting up the category. An important step! Thanks for helping me out.
In reply to Myriam Legault

by Marc Grober -
Actually, thanks should go to AT for pursuing the notion of cases and Jason for doing the case before I could get to it.....