Numbers in Farsi

Numbers in Farsi

by Mina Comailian -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I am developing a Moodle site in Farsi (Persian). I am able to use the editor in Farsi, but when typing the numbers, the numbers appear in English. Is there a way for me to set the numbers also in Farsi? Is it something I can do or is it related to the language pack?

I appreciate your help!

-Mina, 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mina Comailian

Re: Numbers in Farsi

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mina,

are you able to insert numbers elsewhere with your browser, e.g. into the web forms, username fileds of login forms etc.?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Mina Comailian -
Yes. I have activated the Farsi/Persian language in my computer so I am able to type in Farsi using Word. When I copy and paste the Farsi text into my Farsi Moodle, the numbers change into English. So my guess is that the numbers are not translated in the Moodle language pack for Farsi. I wonder how hard/easy is to change/translate numbers in my language pack.
Any ideas?
m,

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
My guess is that the problem is you copy and paste from Word. Moodle uses UTF8 and I Word doesn't (I have no experience with recent versions of Word).

The language pack has nothing to do with it - it is the way you input your text.

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mina,

are you able to insert numbers somewhere else than in Word? I can imagine you have installed some sort of special Word plug-in handling numbers. IMHO you will need to insert numbers by typing Alt+XXXX where XXXX is UTF-8 code of the number character.
In reply to David Mudrák

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The unicode numbers are U+06F0 ... U+06F9

You can find info on how to type them on various systems on http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/06f0/index.htm up to http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/06f9/index.htm (mind the changing number in the url, which is similar to the unicode number)

You want the HTML entity, which gives you ۰ ۱ ۲ ۳ etc.

Hope this helps.