Naming conventions for images

Naming conventions for images

by Anne Nicolson -
Number of replies: 9
We are a science department working with moodle. In all 8 teachers uploading images to their respective course. Even though we are just beginning I can see that naming conventions are going to be useful. Has anyone got a foolproof one for images?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Nicolson

Re: Naming conventions for images

by Tim Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers
I would reccomend avoiding spaces in file names, they can cause all sorts of problems when writing links if you don't use the correct escape sequences. The same goes for any other non alpha numeric characters.
In reply to Tim Williams

by Anne Nicolson -
Thanks - we need information this basic.cool

by N Hansen -
Unique numbers, sign out a sequence of numbers to each teacher to use.
In reply to N Hansen

by W Page -
Hi N!

1. How would you assign a name to an image of a scientist working in a lab (generic) for example from teachers A, B and C.
  2. How would you instruct the teachers how to name images.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by N Hansen -
I'm not talking about "naming" the pictures at all. I've worked on two image databases, and this is how we have "named" all our images, with unique numbers ONLY. In the latest case, we had several digital cameras being used in the field and images being produced on a daily basis. Each camera assigns a number automatically to the image, but rather than have 4 images with the same number, we designated a prefix for each camera. So one camera had the prefix 50, which meant that the image assigned the number 0363 by that camera became 500363. Another camera with the prefix 30, the image assigned the number 0363 would be 300363, and so forth. If you use sequences of numbers, it also makes it very easy to rename a series of images with renaming software. You do not need to name each file, the computer can do it for you. Names, in the sense of something describing the content of the  image, are metadata and that doesn't need to be part of the file name itself.

by W Page -
Hello Anne!

I hope Martin moves this thread to the "Teaching Strategies" Forum.  This is a very interesting topic.  Already I am getting good ideas from it for Site Management of files.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Jan Dierckx -
What is this about? I don't get it. Shouldn't each teacher make out the name of pictures for his own course? Then again ... blush I'm not a science teacher, so maybe I'm forgetting something here. You must have a lot of pictures, symbols, experimental setups, to show ...  
Anyway, I once forgot to tell a not too tech savvy user, it would be better to convert all of his *.bmp-files to *.gif !!!! (Most of his pictures turned out to be around 1 Mb)
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Anne Nicolson -
I like the idea of each staff having a number at the beginning of their filenames. This would then file their images together. From there it is probably an age old problem.  Thanks

by Jeff Wood -

Here is an idea.

When moodle 1.4 is operational (stable release) why not use the Resource: Directory feature.

Create a Director for each course E.g grade 9 general science

Place this folder on the MAIN page (this allows ALL teachers/students to access the files)

Use subdirectories for each unit. (Physics, chemistry, biology)

Use a good general name.

Likes can always be copied from the main page and inserted as required in a course.

** Not useful if you want courses locked and only available to registered users**

Thoughts?

Jeff