Does Moodle care what you call uploaded files?

Does Moodle care what you call uploaded files?

by Anne Nicolson -
Number of replies: 3
Is moodle put off by long file names or files that contain a full stop in a funny place? e.g. 'ncea achievement standard 2.3 Mechanics.doc'? We are running under a windows server and an attempt to upload such a file ended in disaster - a white screen in IE6 that was cured by a restart of the server. black eye
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Nicolson

Re: Does Moodle care what you call uploaded files?

by Michael Penney -
smileI doubt it was the name.

More likely something else wrong with the server  that happened to come to a head at about the same time as your upload?

Did your sever logs show  anything at the time of  the  crash?

In reply to Michael Penney

by Timothy Takemoto -
big grin

But, on a different topic, that could easily have the same thread name, I was surprised to find that changing the name of uploaded files broke the resource links to them. Hardly surprising perhaps, but I had presumed that the links were linking to some sort of index (number) of the file rather than directly to the file name. So in that sense Moodle does care what you call uploaded files. I think that it would be nice if it did not.

Tim
In reply to Anne Nicolson

by Anne Nicolson -

Maybe just a warning to other newcomers.

Moodle is mostly pretty clever in that it underscores most spaces in filenames, but if you add a zipped folder to moodle, and then unzip the contents you may end up with spaces in your file names. This is an issue if they are web addresses.