Copy grade book structure from one course to another

Re: Copy grade book structure from one course to another

by Rod Spears -
Number of replies: 0
I have just tested this on one of my 1.9.5 sites. You would need to test it on 1.9.2.

I backed up the first course and only included the Activities, Resources, etc. I did not include users/user data. I then restored it as a new course and the Gradebook categories, weights, etc. were all copied to the new course.

Course Activities were all copied to the correct category.

The faculty member may have a problem, since the second course is in progress. It would be better to wait until the end of the term. However, they could try these steps IF they really want to do it in the middle of a term.

Course #1 is the course in which this faculty member has configured the gradebook to their satisfaction.
Course #2 is the course in which they would like to copy the gradebook settings.
Students have completed activities in both courses and this data must be preserved.

1. Partial backup of Course #1 that does not include users or user data. It will only include the Resources and Activities. You could also NOT check the activities that have already been completed by the students in Course #2.
2. Use this backup to Create Course #3. This new course will be a copy of Course #1 without users/user data. The Gradebook in this course should retain all the categories, weights, aggregation methods and activities from Course #1.
3. Partial backup of Course #2 that only includes users and user data. If you want to bring the grades for activities that have been completed, be sure to select those activities also - along with their user data.
4. Use this backup and restore it to Course #3. Select the option - existing course, adding data. Then you will need to select the name of Course #3 from a list of existing courses and complete the Restore process.

If you included all the activities from Course #2 that were completed by students, their grades should appear in the Gradebook. However, you will probably need to move these activities to the proper category in the Gradebook.