Linux/DB suggestions for home 1.9 server

Linux/DB suggestions for home 1.9 server

by greg mushial -
Number of replies: 3

I'm looking to use an available Via C7 fanless itx server to host 1.9 for my wife to develop her teaching materials (and not be held hostage of a flakey broadband connection to her day-in-day-out server). I'm 99% a software type and come from the Windoze world. I'm planning to install a Linux and the associated/required other software. But I'm clueless w/re which flavor has the best trackrecord for "it keeps on running and running and running etc" and ease of installation for a noob. Low bucks is also a requirement. The server is an ITX C7 1.7ghz, 1gb and 1 IDE 250gb. The home net is standard cat-5+ and runs at 100mbps.

many thanks,

greg

Average of ratings: -
In reply to greg mushial

Re: Linux/DB suggestions for home 1.9 server

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Your hardware is perfect for a "silent" server. It can handle much more than a single Moodle user. In the long run you can make it the home router, file (music) server, etc. and even access from the Internet using dynamic DNS. With 1 GB RAM, it could even be a Linux Desktop.

About the Linux distribution. For such a low traffic home use it won't matter. Take whatever you like. The usual starting point is http://distrowatch.com/

Or you might have a local Linux community, a LUG. Do a forum search here to find out what is common in the Moodle community.
In reply to greg mushial

by Tariq Adel Al Ammadi -
For those new to the Linux world I always recommend Ubuntu. It comes in many flavours and is simply brilliant.

As your web and database servers won't be doing much I'd suggest adjusting their memory usage downwards. If you are using Apache and Mysql take a look at a low memory guide.

Good luck!
In reply to greg mushial

by Kent Villard -
Ubuntu is always a good suggestion. I use Debian myself but that's just me. Ubuntu has all the benefits of Debian and all the "shiny" that makes it great!