How to remove a Hot Potatoes quiz

How to remove a Hot Potatoes quiz

by Bill Click -
Number of replies: 5
I have a teacher who recently left our Middle school and a new one inherited the previous teacher's moodle class page setup.  The original teacher had built a hot potato quiz and had her students use it.  The new teacher doesn't plan to use this quiz but we can not take it out of the grading.  How do I completely delete a hot potatoes quiz from our Moodle (1.8.4)?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Click

Re: How to remove a Hot Potatoes quiz

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bill,
> How do I completely delete a hot potatoes quiz from our Moodle (1.8.4)?

I think you just delete it from the course page - did you do that already?

Or are you saying that after deleting the HotPot from the course page, it is not deleted from the gradebook?

Gordon

P.S. I just tried deleting a HotPot on a Moodle 1.8 site, and the corresponding gradebook entry was removed. Hmm ...
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Bill Click -
I'm not exactly certain how they accessed the hot potatoes quiz.  Looks like they linked to a htm within the course files area.  We deleted the link and the file but it still remains within the gradebook which throws off the grading.  So, how do I get it out of the gradebook.  There were no scores for it.
In reply to Bill Click

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you deleted the HotPot activity from the course page, then it shouldn't be in the gradebook.

However, for one reason or another it seems you have a HotPot in your gradebook that you no longer want to include in the course grade, in which case you could try one of the following:
  • for the HotPot grade item, set "curve to" to zero, then it won't count towards the course grade
  • in the Grades preferences set "Show hidden items" to "No", and then hide the HotPot on the course page. This will prevent the HotPot item from appearing in the grade book - I think
There maybe other things we could try depending on how willing and able you are to access the Moodle database directly.
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Bill Click -

Ok Gordon, we have somehow removed it.  I was able to open to edit the hotpotato quiz from within the grades area and set it to hide.  Since we do not show those hidden this is a quick fix.  We do need to figure out how to remove it.  The only thing that I can think of is to do a backup, excluding hotpotatoes, then restore it.  Someone needs to find a better way.

But thanks for your help on this.

bill

In reply to Bill Click

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Bill,
well done - glad you have found a workaround approve

I am not sure from the tone of your email whether you want to keep working on this or not, so if you do want more help, please continue posting ...

all the best
Gordon