Performance issues with a fresh 1.9 install

Performance issues with a fresh 1.9 install

by Kent Villard -
Number of replies: 4
Hi Folks,

I have a Pentium Xeon system with 2GB of RAM and Postgres on Debian Linux that we were using to run out 1.8 install. It was quite snappy and performed very well. We recently went to 1.9 and chose to go with a fresh database and new install.

1.9 performance is poor compared to 1.8 in general and at times it is really slow. For example, if you go into the settings page in a course, when you click "Save Changes" it will take a full minute to complete. Creating coures is painfully slow. When you do the save settings or course creation it is pretty much impossible to do anything else on the Moodle site because it gets so slow. I still have the 1.8 version on this server (although it is not being accessed by students) and it runs pretty well (it ran better before 1.9 went on the server).

1.9 ran slow before we even gave access to the students now it is much worse.

We have done some Postgres optimization which has helped (we didn't have to do this wtih 1.8 to get good performance)

Does anyone know any caveats with 1.9+ or have any suggestions as to what may be wrong. I was under the impression that they were some great performance improvements in 1.9 but so far I'm seeing the exact opposite.

thanks In advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kent Villard

Re: Performance issues with a fresh 1.9 install

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
1.9 is generally more streamlined than 1.8. In your case something has gone wrong. With your hardware Moodle shouln't need a full minute to save a course!

You have to debug! Luckily it is a Linux box, you have command line access, I guess. Start with activating performance figures on Moodle and using Firebug to check from the client side.

You can also increase the log level of the db and watch it live. There are many other methods discussed in this forum.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Kent Villard -
We did some Postgresql optimization and added a PHP cache software (APC) and it has made things pretty fast but my concern is why it was so slow in the first place. With very little optimization and no PHP cache 1.8 ran very well. Why is 1.9 so slow in comparison on the same system with the same user load?
In reply to Kent Villard

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Kent - Are you using the latest version of 1.9? Some performance issues were addressed. From what I recall performance is actually better in 1.9 than 1.8 so I am surprised to read about your experience and curious as to what might be causing it. Could you ensure you are using the latest version of 1.9 and do some comparison tests on performance and report back? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The way that Moodle 1.9 was speeded up was by shunting more of the hard work onto the database, which is suppose to be optimised for mangling data. So with a really badly tuned DB I suppose 1.9 could be slower, but it seems unlikely.