Twitter plug-in for Moodle

Twitter plug-in for Moodle

by Leang Chumsoben -
Number of replies: 61
Hello all,

Anyone here heard about the possibility to integrate Twitter into Moodle? I found a blog post about Twitter plug-in for Moodle (http://elgg.jiscemerge.org.uk/annj/weblog/1253.html) but I couldn't get contact with the blog author and I couldn't get further information on Moodle forum.

I totally agree with that author. Twitter might be able to bridge communication. The service is lightweight enough to hopefully not deter people from contribution.

Example of Twitter usage in Moodle course:

- There's a course named "Understanding Web 2.0". There's a Twitter block in that course
- A student is at her computer at home and is playing with Facebook. Then she can update her Twitter status to "now playing with facebook" by using Twitter client or typing directly into the Twitter block.
- Teacher is at his office. And he can see that status message on the Twitter block. "What's a active student", he thought. Then he reply to that message saying something like "great play. would be also great if you can share detail information about facebook in our forum"
- Communication keep going....

With these kind of interactivity and communication, there will be more fun with online learning.big grin

Soben
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Leang Chumsoben

Re: Twitter plug-in for Moodle

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
im keen to test this one - so ive contacted the blogger, developer. will keep you posted here if i hear back.

in the meantime...how about using the 'HTML' block to embed twitter code or 'RSS Feed' block to pull tweets from your twitter account?..
In reply to Chad Outten

by Jared Stein -
I've worked with the Twitter API a little bit and it would be pretty easy to get messages and posts from Twitter. The only thing is that you have to pretty well refresh or resubmit the Twitter call to get new msgs (similar to how you do it in a Web browser on Twitter), but I can see the block having an AJAX "refresh" button also.

In such block you could store user information on individual's twitter accounts in a table so they don't have to provide their credentials each time.

But to make it work, what would be a good strategy for connecting students to their classmates through Moodle? I suppose the Twitter block could also have a "List Classmates" function that checks the stored credentials and displays Twitter usernames matched to class members.
In reply to Jared Stein

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
ive been communicating, testing blocks with the developers. vry sweet but not quite fit for public consumption!
  1. Twit2RSS - bucket feed for displaying the friends feed from a single Twitter account.
  2. Twitter Post block - solely for sending messages to any Twitter account.
  3. Twitter Update block - lets you read the tweets from any feed, and includes a tweme search.
  4. Geomap block - can centre on a chosen location, and shows your Twitter friends.
  5. Photo block - looks for Twitter friends and show their pictures.
there may be a call for testers & contributors, soon - watch this space! wink
In reply to Jared Stein

by A. T. Wyatt -
Add twemes to the list of helpful uses. If people are posting info of interest to the class, they might use the #coursenum or something like that.

The problem with using twitter academically (if you WANT to use it that way) is to filter the messages coming through. Hash marks can help.

atw

by Paul Vaughan -
My 2p worth:

I would love to see a Twitter block for Moodle, as I think Twitter is a very valuable resource indeed. Something along the lines of Twitterfox (my main use is through that Firefox plugin) would be exceptional.

Regards,

Vaughany.
In reply to Paul Vaughan

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Only of use, of course, if Twitter isn't banned by your LEA wink

by Will Cunningham -
I am not a coder but have been researching this. I've been trying to to find a solution to implement within Moodle. I looked a micro--blogging solution but couldn't find anything I could use.

If someone just made a block that was similar to a chat box, but storing the information. Then it would be limited to registered users.

Just a thought.
In reply to Will Cunningham

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
latest news from the developers...

twitter plugins for moodle being updated to use ajax. no eta at this stage. feedback & ideas welcome. check out the great work that has been done so far @ http://m3.jiscemerge.org.uk

note: im not the developer or maintainer - just the messenger! wink

Cheers, Chad
In reply to Chad Outten

by Ann Jeffery -
Hi everyone,

I'm the developer of the blocks and Chad suggested that I join in with this conversation. (He's said nice things about you.)

This is a brief history of the blocks

Our original plan was to just make one block for Moodle a la Twitterific and so on, but we realised that we could make more use of the Twitter service if we broke it up. First we created a simple set of send and read blocks (Twitter post and Twitter Update). We added an Twitter RSS feed in the summer to act at a 'bucket' for class tweets. We've been using an account that is connected to the class rather than the teacher so that it's re-usable so to speak.

In June, we added the ability to highlight Twemes and direct messages to the Twitter Update block. We created the Geomap because we were working with distributed communities and one of our foci has been creating presence for distance learners. The Geomap would make a nice module at some point, or fit nicely into the banner at the top perhaps. I'm interested in the idea of using them as modules in general.

There are Photoblocks in the pipeline, I can't promise that they'll be anything other than simple. We had big technical issues with the Flickr and Twitter services for this one. We're hoping to create something useful using tags and to have two versions, with and without a map, though they might just be Flickr blocks due to problems with the Twitter refresh. These have been really painful to develop!

We did actually think about AJAX in the early stages, but we're a tiny project with no money, so we chose to explore ideas rather than create just the one simple AJAX Twitter block with the money. We didn't know if Twitter in Moodle would work at the time.

This means that we are re-writing them all to use AJAX because of the usual problems with latency and updates; something you'll encounter on the demo site. We've started on the Twit2RSS block which can now refresh, but the Twitter XML has gone peculiar again. Hopefully we can upload the new version soon. The aim is to get a first releases of the new blocks out by Christmas, but I'll know more next week.

I've kept pedagogy etc out of this post, so this is really just the technical side. Happy to answer any questions. If anyone's interested in the blocks in any way, shape or form then please let me know!

Ann

List of M3 Project blocks m3.jiscemerge.org.uk

Twit2RSS - bucket feed for displaying the friends feed from a single Twitter account.
Twitter Post block - solely for sending messages to any Twitter account.
Twitter Update block - lets you read the tweets from any feed, and includes a tweme search.
Geomap block - can centre on a chosen location, and shows your Twitter friends.
Photo block - looks for Twitter friends and show their pictures.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ann Jeffery

by claire browne -

Hi,

I am interested in the twitter plug in for moodle.

Where can I get the download from?

In reply to claire browne

by Ann Jeffery -
Hi Claire,

We have the blocks newly updated, and they are due to go on the repository website soon. m3.jiscemerge.org.uk

In the meantime, feel free to email me on acj1 at soton.ac.uk and I'll send them on to you.

Ann

by Darryl Pogue -
I would be interested in a plugin that allows a user to specify a Twitter account, and then Moodle changes the user's description based on the Twitter status.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Darryl Pogue

by Paul Vaughan -
Having thought about it, I would love to see a box in the user profile area for Twitter, just as there are boxes for MSN, Yahoo, Skype etc. Anyone like to hazard a guess where on the Tracker such as request goes? May have to go in 'other'. smile

EDIT: Just added to the Tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-17593 Go vote for it if you like the sound of it. smile

by Al Hammel -
I think this is what I want, too.

When I update assignments (or add activities or resources) I would like students to have the option on opting in on a tweet to their cell phone regarding the changes/updates.

I find my students no longer rely on e-mail, but are quite dependent on texting from their cells...

by Ann Jeffery -
Hi all,

The blocks have been updated if anyone is interested? We've just AJAXed them, and would love to hear thoughts etc from any willing testers? The repository site for them is here is m3.jiscemerge.org.uk BUT if they're not yet showing the new ones, then feel free to email me and I'll forward them on.
acj1 at soton.ac.uk

Cheers!

Ann

PS As they're open source if anyone would like to contribute to them and share the results, we could love that!
In reply to Ann Jeffery

by Neil Birt -
Hi Ann

We would be really interested in trying this out. We have an active community that actually has requested this very feature.

What do we do from here?

Neil
In reply to Ann Jeffery

by Trevor Cunningham -
I would be pleased as punch to be a guinea pig for these blocks.  You have anything similar for Edmodo?  Could it be easily translated?
In reply to Ann Jeffery

by Faren Heit -
Hi Ann,

Ive tried emailing but have yet to receive a response/reply, i have also tried looking for the plugin on m3.jiscemerge.org.uk but nothing.

Im running out of ideas sad
In reply to Faren Heit

by Chris Stones -
I haven't seen anything to download either. And I searched the plugins database and couldn't find anything after searching "twitter"
In reply to Ann Jeffery

by Donna Hrynkiw -
Ann,

I'm test installing your Ajax Feed module and have run into a hitch.

The module installed successfully.
Following the README instructions, I've added the installation path of the block.
I've added my Twitter username and password (but no Tweme, is that important?)

When I click "Update Feed" I get an error message: "The requested URL /[instancename]/blocks/ajaxfeedlib.php was not found on this server."

I don't see a file ajaxfeedlib.php anywhere in the distribution. Oh! -- Could it be in one of the other modules? (A couple of minutes pass as I download and unpack the other two modules...) Nope.

Suggestions?

Donna Hrynkiw
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

In reply to Donna Hrynkiw

by Claire Browne -
Hi.

I have the ajaxfeed lib.php if you need it.
In reply to Claire Browne

by ETH Zürich -
In reply to ETH Zürich

by corprew reed -
Amr, do you have a plan to migrate this to the Twitter OpenID setup? It seems like that is required now.

Thanks,

Corprew
In reply to ETH Zürich

by Chandima Cumaranatunge -

Does this block work? I'm getting an "Error in Password and/or Username". Looks like the curlQuery on getUser() is returning an error.

In reply to ETH Zürich

by Doris Johnson -

Is there any installation instructions for this twitter block?

In reply to Doris Johnson

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.

by Colin Matheson -
I was thinking it would be cool to have a Twitter like status update feed on our Moodle site. The status updates would be like blog posts (collected on a users profile and aggregated for the whole site). However, the posts would be limited to 140 characters and the aggregate could be displayed on the front page. Elgg has something called The Wire and The River, which would be cool to have in Moodle.

I am a PHP and MySQL idiot, but I might try to hack around on this.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Twitter is cool, but to me (from K12 perspective), it lacks desirable features (or maybe I'm twitter challenged) for LEA's that control/filter content a student accesses/uses/sees.

There is more than one microblogging service. Anyone check out Yammer?
https://www.yammer.com/
(enterprise microblogging)
The basic Yammer service is free. Companies can pay to claim and administer their networks.
Apps: Desktop app, Blackberry, IPhone, Firefox extension, and a bookmarklet
Third party: Android, Ping.fm (which simultaneously updates Yammer, Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin), and Gabble (fully functional native Mac OSX Yammer client).

Screenshots of features/tools offered:
https://www.yammer.com/about/screenshots

Check out the pricing:
https://www.yammer.com/about/pricing

For K12 LEA's am wondering if Yammer isn't a better way to go to get up and running right away?

However, there is also something called open microblogging (OMB)
a distributed, standards-based open source microblogging engine
http://openmicroblogger.com/
http://openmicroblogging.org/

Been tinkering with it ... http://sos.tcea.org/omb/

What if Moodle pursued development using OMB (or something like it) in the Moodle network, like Mahara?

Yours, in the "spirit of sharing",
Ken
In reply to Ken Task

by François Marier -
There is an Open Source micro-blogging product called Laconica (http://laconi.ca) you may be interested in.

Like Moodle, it runs on PHP and MySQL and it uses the same API as Twitter.

This code is used to power the Identica service (http://identi.ca) and a hosted service based on the same Open Source codebase will be available soon at http://status.net

Cheers,
Francois
In reply to François Marier

by Brian Hendrickson -
Hi, I'm the author of http://openmicroblogger.org and i'd be happy to help anyone doing Moodle-related microblogging stuff.

OMB has partial support for Twitter API, it's simpler to set up than Laconica, doesn't have the XMPP/IM features yet. but the neat thing is that they are 100% compatible with each other because they both implement the http://openmicroblogging.org web-microblog protocol.

OMB has a full RESTful architecture and privacy can be controlled throughout the app. The Web layer consumes the same API that any other client can.

Drop me a line if I can help with Moodle/OpenMicroBlogger smile

Brian Hendrickson
brian@megapump.com
In reply to Brian Hendrickson

by patrick Mathieu -

Bonsoir,

Je souhaite utiliser un outil de microblogging dans me dispositif de formation (formation d'infirmiers en Guinée Conakry) de façon à constiruter une communauté de pratiques.

Les infirmiers ayant accès à internet utiliseraint la plateforme moodle et ceux sans accès à internet utiliseraient des cours papier et communiqueraint pas SMS avec leur tuteur.

Nous aimerions ausi que cette population puisse rédiger des txeets et receboir des réponses par SMS.

POuvez-vous m'en dire plus sur votre plugin.

Patrick.

Good evening,

I want to use a microblogging tool in my training system (trainingof nurses in Guinea Conakry) to built a community of practice.

Nurses with Internet access will usest platform moodle and those without access to Internet uses of paper and will communicate with SMS with their tutor.

We would like  ​​that people can write tweets and receive answers via SMS.

Can you tell me more about your plugin.

Patrick.

by Manuel García -
I have been researching about this, and i think that a wonderful option would be that moodle have the capability of automatically send notifications to twitter. Maybe things like sent assignments or forum responses. We have to considerate that at this moment sometimes twitter is a faster way of communication that traditional email.

This idea could be some cu-cu but moodle should have a standard interface to interact with current and future popular applications, web 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 or anything else that we use to communicate with our students. The idea is to prepare a moodle API to connect with any other API. I know that it is easier to say it than to do it but a would like to try, and if this is possible now, please get me some light about it.

Manuel.-

by Darryl Pogue -
I have written a block for Moodle 2.0 dev which fetches and displays the latest Tweet of a specified user. It uses AJAX and currently only works with JavaScript enabled, but I will look into a non-JavaScript fall-back if there is interest.

This is not compatible with Moodle 1.9 or lower, I wrote it mainly to get a feel for the API changes of Moodle 2.0.
In reply to Darryl Pogue

by Heidi Peter -

Hi Darryl, i installed your twitter-block but when i add the twitter-block to my moodle i only get a blank page. What`s wrong? I use moodle 1.9.5+

Heidi

by Pedro Luján Martínez -
This is the plugin of M3 proyect. There are 3 blocks and one rss. One blocks originally has a bug (twitter_update), but now is solved. The es-utf8 are incluyed.
They work in 1.9 and lower.
In reply to Pedro Luján Martínez

by Chris Creed -
Hi

When I try to decompress the file it gives an unknown file type "unnamed.dat"

Is this the correct file that you uploaded?

kind regards

Chris

by John Andrewartha -
Hi Pedro,
A quick comment. You may like to consider using a different archive format.
A tarball is probably going to confuse the Microsoft users, and a few Linux people as well.
Most when doing a mod install just copy the archive into the correct spot and do a unzip.
John

In reply to John Andrewartha

by Mashael Maashi -

Hi every one

I've added ajaxupdater to my moodle

It has been installed successfully but when I trying to post a message .

It gives me this error message .

"You don't have permission to access /mymoodlehttp://127.0.0.1/mymoodle/blocks/ajaxupdater on this server."

I wrote in  path to feed blockbox  http://127.0.0.1/mymoodle/blocks/ajaxupdater

Is that  written incorrectly , any help ??

P.S

Currently I working on a local server (Apache)  and  Im connected to internet

In reply to Mashael Maashi

by Heidi Peter -

Hi,

i installed Twitter Feed Ajax updater. It works not right, look at the posted picture. What am i doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Heidi

Attachment Twitterfeed.JPG

by Heidi Peter -

Hi, i like this plugin very much. Is it possible to fill in a twitter-favicon oder a twitter-picture? That would be nice.

Cheers,Heidi

In reply to Heidi Peter

by Alexandre Marinho -

I installed the twitter block, but appears only blocknam.

What´s the next step?

Thanks

In reply to Alexandre Marinho

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just a general word of caution, there are a variety of twitter related blocks. It will be important to be clear about which one folks are using to avoid confusion. I have tried to encourage those submitting such blocks to CONTRIB to use more descriptive names so that it is easier to distinguish between the various blocks by focusing on their particular functionality. Sometimes the best way to be clear is to provide the link to where you downloaded the block you are referring to as that helps make clear what code you are using. Peace - Anthony

by Eugene Voevodin -
I have resolved a "userandpassword missing" problem to myself. Check if you are using a firewall or proxy. I am using a proxy and modified a file "blocks\twitter\twitter.class.php" to use it.

1. Find the string

[code]

// Execute the cURL-query
$response = curl_exec($transfer);
[/code]

Replace it with this

[code]
// Configure proxy host
curl_setopt(
$transfer,
CURLOPT_PROXY,
'http://yourproxy:yourport'
);
// Configure proxy userpass
curl_setopt(
$transfer,
CURLOPT_PROXYUSERPWD,
'proxyusername:proxypassword'
);

// Execute the cURL-query
$response = curl_exec($transfer);
[/code]

Where

yourproxy: proxy host
yourport: proxy port
proxyusername : username for proxy access
proxypassword : password related to username above

But I am still having problem with sending tweets - the answer from twitter is 403 forbidden. Digging through Twitter API got me nowhere - everything seems to be alright and in place but still 403. Any suggestions?

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi,

Tried to install this in Moodle 2.0 RC1 (says it should work in 2.0 on the download page and got the following error:

"Default exception handler: Plugin "block/twitter" is defective or outdated, can not continue, sorry. Debug: Missing version.php file."

Any clues?

Mark.
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Colin Wheelhouse -

I cannot even get the block to install. I have unzipped the folder in moodle/blocks run notifications and nothing happens. The required profile fields have been created but zilch. Anybody got any ideas?

Wheelie

by Joe Griffin -

Hello folks

I have read this thread and being new to twitter etc I may sound a bit stupid with my question. Anyway here goes.

I have just started to experiment with a Kindle 3 and some e-textbooks. Kindle allows me to share passages from ebooks easily posting to a twitter account. I've just set up one (my first) especially for a course I teach.

What I'd like to be able to do is to 'feed' my twitter posts to my Moodle course because I suspect that many of my students get too many tweets and may miss mine from my Kindle. Any ideas as to the best way to achieve this? (Of course their may be a simpler solution by extracting the material from my Amazon Kindle website and I'm off to search on Moodle to see if this has been done yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

In reply to Joe Griffin

by Jim Judges -

For quick and easy display of your Tweets try these widgets from Twitter. You can use your twitter name or a hashtag etc in the search query.

http://twitter.com/about/resources/widgets

This means that Teachers can just copy and paste the HTML code that is generated when you click "finish & grab code" in to either an HTML block, label or page . A course could add its own unique hashtag and then any updates will be displayed in your course.

This will provide a quicker and simpler way of achieving the same end result and at least it doesn't rely on installation of yet another non-standard module. It also means that the functionality won't break when moodle is upgraded!

Hope this helps

Jim

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jim Judges

by Teresa Mackinnon -

Hi Jim, I have been testing this and it is just what we need but I cannot get it to display in moodle 2.0.3. Any ideas?

In reply to Teresa Mackinnon

by Teresa Mackinnon -

thanks to your help Jim we have made some headway. After you pasted the embed code using firefox, our existing embeds started to work! We have been able to tweek the code of those that are working to get them to display our search but we still cannot get them displaying when using IE9 or Chrome, even though the code updates. There seems to be a differnce in the way the browsers copy the html that then effects the embed.

In reply to Teresa Mackinnon

by Isabelle Langeveld -

Is there a sort of standard comprehensive solution for a Twitterblock in the course? Reading this thread it seems that every contrib module or plugin is problematic, even the widgets from Twitter dont just work! We probably just have to start experimenting with all the above mentioned options suitable for 2.0. But if anyone has the GOLDEN EGG??

Let's say you want a block in your course with these options:

• following tweets posted with the hashtag #coursename or #coursename-assignment
  • posting tweets with the same hashtags
  • following tweets posted by co-students and teachers on non-courserelated subjects in the Twitterblock in the course (so without opening your Twittersoftware)
  • posting tweets with your own Twittersoftware on your mobile device with the above mentioned which appear in the Twitterblock in the course
  • reading tweets on your mobile device which are posted in the block in the course (or posted on Twitter), without entering the LE

Personally I still am not very much into Twitter, but for a course on 'The New Working and The New Learning' I have to provide something Twittery.

In reply to Isabelle Langeveld

by Mike Walters -

Good evening smile

I just wrote a blog post about this subject because I have been having the same headache with the Twitter widgets and the fact that they break all kinds of things in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Essentially there is a problem with the way the Twitter widget calls the javascript to the page.  It prevents the rest of the page loading properly or starts the script loop to soon or something.  Anyway, the way to fix it is to create the widget as a stand-alone html file on your server and then pull it into the page using an iframe.

You can read the full post about it here > http://www.redtwenty.com.au/integrating-twitter-into-moodle-pages/

Hope this helps...

Mike

In reply to Mike Walters

by Jeremy Woodham -

I have tried that, however all I that seems to display is the html code in the frame.

Any ideas?

The code in my twitter.html is 

<html>
<!-- code from http://www.redtwenty.com.au/integrating-twitter-into-moodle-pages/ -->

<head>

<script src="http://widgets.twimg.com/j/2/widget.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<script>
new TWTR.Widget({
version: 2,
type: 'profile',
rpp: 4,
interval: 30000,
width: 'auto',
height: 300,
theme: {
shell: {
background: '#333333',
color: '#ffffff'
},
tweets: {
background: '#000000',
color: '#ffffff',
links: '#4aed05'
}
},
features: {
scrollbar: false,
loop: false,
live: false,
behavior: 'all'
}
}).render().setUser('WGSB').start();
</script>

</body>
</html
and the HTML block is 
<iframe src="https://moodle.wirralgrammarboys.com/blocks/twitter.html" frameborder="0" height="420" width="100%"></iframe>
In reply to Jeremy Woodham

by Jeremy Woodham -

Sorry forgot to mention, opening twitter.html in IE and Chrome shows the same code but works in dreamweaver!

Code...

new TWTR.Widget({ version: 2, type: 'profile', rpp: 4, interval: 30000, width: 'auto', height: 300, theme: { shell: { background: '#333333', color: '#ffffff' }, tweets: { background: '#000000', color: '#ffffff', links: '#4aed05' } }, features: { scrollbar: false, loop: false, live: false, behavior: 'all' }}).render().setUser('WGSB').start();

In reply to Jeremy Woodham

by Dave Emsley -

Did you ever solve this?

Worked for me, with your code.

In reply to Dave Emsley

by gaston perez -

Hola muy bueno su aporte!!

le cuento que yo realice todo ese procedimiento. De principio a fin.

Pero mi version de moodle es 1.9.5.

y surgio el siguiente error:

como puede ver la ventana de twitter se ve repetida dos veces.

Si alguien sabe mas que yo de programacion puede decirm donde está el error.

Muchas gracias