How can teacher get a Guest view of course?

How can teacher get a Guest view of course?

by Konstantin Etkine -
Number of replies: 4
In this bug report:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10216

three users make an excellent argument that the ability to switch roles (i.e., see what their courses look like to another role) should NOT be contingent on their ability to assign such roles. However the developer disagrees. фу!

My teachers need to see what their courses look like to guests. This is very important for my site, since we have no students, only guests.

According to the developer, you must do what it says here:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/moodle/role:switchroles

I do what is required, even though it is quite silly in my case:
  • I give Teacher permission to assign roles to others
  • I give Teacher permission to switch roles
  • I check the Guest box in the Teacher row of "Allow role assignments"
But when teacher goes to course, there is no Switch roles dropdown!

How to fix?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Konstantin Etkine

Re: How can teacher get a Guest view of course?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Konstantin,

Thanks for raising this issue. I've reported it in the tracker - MDL-16349. Please vote for it to indicate that you would like it to be fixed.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Konstantin Etkine -
Pointless to vote. Issue will be not be "fixed" because developers will say "not broken." Developers are probably correct, since anything with guest role is impossible to say whether "broken" or "correct."

Correct solution is to re-open MDL-10216. Ability to view as should be separated from ability to assign. Anybody who carefully read comments presented by three real users cannot fail to be persuaded, unless head in sand.
In reply to Konstantin Etkine

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No, it is not pointless to vote. You are treating one thing, written by one developer over a year ago, as if it was some kind of unchangeable law. It isn't. With polite, rational arguments, delivered politely, you will be able to change people's minds, if you are right. However, the roles system is a complicated beast, and some of the design decisions are compromises. Just because you can see flaws in the current approach does not necessarily mean that another approach has fewer problems - as I say, you will have to convince us.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Konstantin Etkine -
For polite and rational response, read comments made by others in tracker. But ah, now I see issue is not dead, but only changed to new issue 11313 "Removing role assign as requisite for switch roles" which lives for 1.9.3.