Groups/groupings and attendance

Groups/groupings and attendance

by Frederic Nevers -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

thanks for a great module. I have been using it for a few months without any problems whatsoever, until today, when I tried to use reports smile

Here is the problem:
  • I have a course which is shared between 2 teachers.
  • Each teacher teaches 2 groups each.
  • Teacher 1 teaches groups A and B and Teacher 2 teaches groups C and D.
  • Groupings and groups are set up and it shows in the drop down box when I take the attendance.
  • So, when Teacher 1 take attendance for group A, he only sees students from group A.
  • Groups A, B, C and D do not have lessons on the same day
  • Group A has a lesson on Monday, group B has a lesson on Tuesday, group C has a lesson on Wednesday and group D has a lesson on Thrusday. So I set up 4 sessions per week.
  • So far, no problem.
  • But, when attendance is taken for members of a group (say, group A), others members (even though hidden - groups B, C and D) are still "expected" to be here by the attendance module, when really they're not supposed to be here (as they don't have a lesson).
  • This means that the reports are all false e.g. in a normal week, any student from group A, will have an attendance score of 25% (1 lesson/4), as the attendance module "thinks" that he/she should have attended every session for this given week (4 different sessions for 4 groups).
Is there any way to omit sessions that should not be taken by certain groups?

Or can anybody think of a workaround? The only one I've thought about so far is having "weeks" rather than actual dates, but it's a little bit of a pain to setup.

Should I add a feature request for better group support?

I hope this explanation was clear enough.
Thanks a lot,
Fred
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frederic Nevers

Re: Groups/groupings and attendance

by Carina Martinez -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have a similar problem. And I think the "foreground" and common question is:

Had somebody find the way of share the same activities and recurses of one course (without replies for maintennaince reasons) for distinct groups of people who take the course not at the same time?

Attendance can take groups separated, but the problem is that reports (grades) will follow saying that people was'nt there in some sessions: all of them will never have a 100%.

Maybe, when create a new attendance session it could have the option of assign it to 1..n groups exclusively? then, grades could consider not all sessions for all people, but only that sessions that had assigned to them?

Thanks Dimitry and every who make Attendance possible and better!

by Filzah Alwi -

I'm encountering similar problem. Any solution? Your input is greatly appreciated.

by Steve Copley -
I'd love to see this additional functionality too.

I've just installed the module and have come to a screeching halt as I've realised that my groups can't have separate attendance sessions.

At the moment I'll just bodge things by scoring 'present' as 3 if a group only attends 1 out of 3 of the total sessions for all groups.

Thanks for the module though - it's great!

All the best

Steve C.

by Geoffrey Brewster -
This could be solved in part if we could have multiple instances of the Attendance module in a course. Then, in theory, you could restrict certain instances to a grouping.

What I do hope is that in addition to having more than one version in a course that parameters can be set on a group by group basis. We ran into this when teaching a course with 20 sections, and the Attendance was being taken by undergraduate interns; I think it took me a couple of days to figure out how to set that up, and it could have been so simple.