Moodle Mobile for iPhone

Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Kamil Walas -
Number of replies: 123
Hello All,

Just getting started here, but i'm wondering if anyone has tested Momo (http://www.mobilemoodle.org/momo18/) for iPhone and if so, did you use the Standard version client or the Minimum version client?

Thanks, any help or tips are appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kamil Walas

Re: Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Jamie Pratt -
On modern phones such as the iPhone Moodle will work great through the inbuilt browser, I wonder if it is worth developing a custom interface for Moodle if you are targeting users who have iPhones or any of the other modern phones that have excellent in built browsers.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Bryan Williams -
Good question Jamie. I've been exploring this for several months with my iPod touch. Right now there are two show stoppers I've noticed using the Safari browser when accessing course content. One is lack of Flash support with Safari (Adobe is supposed to be working on this), and the second seems to be problems loading a SCORM activity. I've been working with the folks that make ToolBook recently to see what can be done with their latest version to support SCORM. So far, no joy.

Recently I've started wondering what a separate Moodle interface for mobile activities might look like. I'm wondering if more activities in Moodle could be RSS enabled, would a Stitcher or Digg like aggregator work. BTW, there was some interest shown at the MoodleMoot Developers event in San Francisco last June for mobile learning. Any thoughts you have on this topic are most welcome.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Jamie Pratt -
Hi Bryan,

Are you aware of the Moodle for Mobiles project? This made a parallel interface for Moodle available through Japanese mobile phones which support a limited sub set of html - CHTML (which is a W3C standard).

I would think that as mobile phones become more capable there will be less need for a special interface for mobile phones. Moodle already does great adhering to standards such as xhtml which more and more phones in the future should fully support.

Jamie
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Bryan Williams -
Yep, Moodle does a good job adhering to xhtml, don't think that's an issue. I'm inclined to agree with Kamil's post. Although something like the iPhone/touch does a great job loading Moodle into the Safari browser (looks ok in my Windows Mobile phone also) there is still the form factor to contend with (zooming). When you visit for example the New York Times (from App store) on your iPhone it doesn't look like this, it loads something much more readable in the form factor. You don't have to zoom on anything. I believe there is a growing consensus on whether to develop mobile app's for the phone or the browser, with the browser coming out ahead as you suggest.

by maddula harish -

Hi This is harish. i'm using moodle for iphone. I'm developing the moodle in xcode tool. What's my problem is I'm not getting notifications what i have to do. can u please give me any idea regarding notification. Thanks in advance.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Kamil Walas -
While I do agree that mobile browsers are getting better and can properly display most pages, a user interface that is specialized for a smaller screen still provides an end user with a better experience.

It is possible to scroll and zoom into the areas that you need to see, but I find that having to hunt around for an area you are looking for, or worse, not having familiarity with a site on a mobile browser can make for a cumbersome experience.

I also find that the closer we are to the technology, or perhaps the more experience we have with it, we make exceptions for it's shortcomings and tend to overlook what we can live with. A first time user however, may become frustrated with the experience and is likely to want to use it.

In reply to Kamil Walas

Updates not coming up

by Priya Krishnan -

Hi there,

I have installed standard version of Momo client application on Windows mobile Xda Stellar. I have created contents (mainly MLOs) in Momo playground and accessed it over the phone. I could acess them initially.

I did some changes in those i have created and again checked it through the application, the recent changes (updates) were not coming up..

I uninstalled and then re-installed the application. It dint work !!

The problem still persists ..

Could anyone tell me why it happens ..

Please help

Thanks

In reply to Kamil Walas

by Jonathan Konrad -
I understand that a browser based Mobile Moodle will have a larger appeal. However, I would love to somehow support development of a native iphone/ipod app for Moodle. More and more of our schools are using Moodle, and the same can be said for students owning iPod/iPhones.

I really like the University of Saskatchewan's iPhone campus app iUSask.

If we could have a fast, native app for logging in, finding courses, checking due dates, posting to forums, perhaps even taking quizzes, that would be amazing.

Has anyone out there started a Moodle for iPhone/iPod project? How can I get involved!
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

by Jonathan Konrad -
Whoa. Did you guys see that Blackboard has an iPhone app? Yikes. That's bizzare that there is one on that plateform and not a Moodle app. Moodle is way more hip.

Here is a link for the black board one, if you have not scene it;

I also found some amazing work by Lewis Carr. Check out his website,

or look at a slide presentation he did about his Moodle/iPhone work.

The only problem with this work is I cannot find the files anywhere. Must have been custom - for - pay stuff.

Again I ask, is anyone out there working on an iPhone/iPod app for Moodle? Thanks,
In reply to Kamil Walas

by Jonathan Konrad -
Does anyone know about Moodle Web Services? This youtube looks like it might be another way to adapt moodle to an iphone

I would also like to see more of Lewis Carrs work, but so far I have found no source code or anything. To see it, you can visit his Moodle at

http://moodle.parklane.ac.uk/

It's interesting to go there on the ipod and then on the computer. Good work. Wish we could use it.

by Carlos Kiyan Tsunami -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hiroki Inoue from http://www.learningdesign.jp/ is working on it as well.

just part of his mail...

"I've found it's possible to switch Moodle style sheet(css) by detecting
HTTP-USER-AGENT variable and it works very well until now. There are
still many rooms to be fixed but already works great for me."

Sorry but the site is in japanese.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hiro_inoue/20091229/1262066746

Greetings

In reply to Carlos Kiyan Tsunami

List of the current Moodle Mobile so far:

MLE moodle
demo: http://elibera.com/moodle//blocks/mle/browser.php
user/password: student/student.

Lewis Carr

Moodbile

iLite's Weblog
website: http://ilite.wordpress.com/2009/10/21/ilite-mobile-learning-for-the-iphone/

Hiroki Inoue
website: http://d.hatena.ne.jp/hiro_inoue/20091229/1262066746

Does anybody knows any other initiative?

by Joe K -

I was looking for a solution for quite some time, I like Lewis Carr's solutions, instead of creating a dedicate app that needs to maintain and not compatible with other mobile devises. This solutions is pretty usable with minimal hacking on the backend. One benefit of having an app is that you can have a dedicated icon on the iphone that points to the server without navigating through the browser

Regards
Joe K

by Jonathan Konrad -
I too am warming up to the idea of a server side solution so that there is no app to install. Lately I've been enjoying the way Ning, or Youtube, or DIGG, and so many others reformat their sites to fit so nicely on the iphone.

How is that done? How can I be part of a movement that does that for Moodle on the iphone? That would be incredible.

The fastest growing browser on our Moodle servers? Safari for iPhone! Seriously, our kids love their ipods and iphones. I really must support this now.

I have installed MLE and it offers some interesting benifits like offline flashcard work. However, it is difficult to change the layout and does not look new like the sites mentioned above. Any ideas out there.

Oh, and I liked the screen shots of Lewis Carr's work, but I have never seen any way to download or build on the effort. Does anyone have a like for that work too? Thanks.

...to update the list, I just found it today (sorry sad )

Urs Hunkler
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/user.php?id=25214&course=55

Moodlerooms and DubMeNow Partner to Provide New Mobile Campus Application for Smart Phones

"Baltimore, MD —Moodlerooms, Inc., provider of education solutions wrapped around the world’s most widely used open-source LMS Moodle, has announced a partnership with DubMeNow, a leading mobile platform company. Together the two companies will enhance DUB’s Higher Ed mobile platform to integrate with joule™, Moodlerooms’ enterprise learning management platform...."

http://www.moodlerooms.com/company/news/news__node/72/
In reply to Kamil Walas

by Jonathan Konrad -
I just noticed that the new MLE version (http://mle.sourceforge.net/mlemoodle/index.php?lang=en) Allows for themes. That is awesome! However, I'm graphically challenged, so if there is anyone on out there that has made some MLE themes? OR knows where to get them, that would be a good thing to share.

Thanks.

Dear all
we are trying to develop a Moodle Mobile version for the iPhone.

Here we share some screen shots.

IMG_1048.PNG

Display detailed information about the course
IMG_1047.PNG

menu

IMG_1041.PNG

menu2

IMG_1043.PNG
IMG_1044.PNG

IMG_1045.PNG

lightbox,

IMG_1046.PNG

Soon, we will share it here. Those are not mockups. this is a real moodle.

Kind regards

Carlos
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Carlos,

Let me just say that this project looks AMAZING. I can't wait to see a finished version available (and I don't even own an iphone). Any plans for hitting up Android?

Also, is this an app or simply a new theme?

Best and keep up the great work,

Joe
In reply to Joseph Thibault

Hello Joe

According with WPTouch plugin it works with iPhone, Ipod touch, android or BlackBerry Storm

http://www.bravenewcode.com/products/wptouch/

I didnt try with any android, but I hope that soon we will try one.

At the beginning we wanted to make a new theme. But later on we have modified some php as well.

If you want I can you give access to our server. Just send me an email

ckiyan@itg.be.

Well, the idea of our team it is just to start a discussion with this web application. We made it in 1 month, and we believe that there is still a lot to do.
We have plans to make a native application, but first of all it would be better to receive comments from the moodle community.

Greetings

Carlos

Here are some more screen shots

IMG_1049.PNG
Login/select language

IMG_1050.PNG
Jump to a different topic

IMG_1051.PNG
Quiz, paging, timer

IMG_1052.PNG
Combo box to select page number of the quiz

by Jonathan Konrad -
Please consider some kind of release of this project. Your work looks fantastic and the shots just make it painful for me and my students to use our Moodle everyday the way it is.

I've tried some other solutions, but this looks very, very slick.

Thank you for this work, and for sharing it here so we can all be insanely jealous.

smile

Thank you so much.
As soon as we have it ready we will share it here.

Now, just some screen shoots...

IMG_1054.PNG
chat
IMG_1056.PNG
List of participants
IMG_1057.PNG
Online student

by Melissa Benson -
Saweet. I'm excited.
In reply to Melissa Benson

hello Melissa
thanks for your reply smile
we are so excited as well, but to be honest I have to confess that we are a bit nervous. That is why we are double checking if all runs smoothly.
thanks for posting.
Greetings
c

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Carlos,

Looks superb!

I wanted to see what the Wordpress plugin looked like but do not have an iPhone, so found this simulator for the PC - http://labs.blackbaud.com/NetCommunity/article?artid=662 - and thought you might find it useful for testing.

Cheers,

Gareth
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Dear Gareth
Thank you so much and Thanks for the link

Did you install safari browser?
http://www.apple.com/safari/

if you activate the developer option, you can use the "User Agent" and select the iPhone option (for windows and mac).
Cheers
c

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Carlos,

I installed Safari version 4 on Windows 7. Is the developer option on the install?

Cheers,

Gareth

Dear Gareth

Please, may you check this link.

http://weblogs.asp.net/joelvarty/archive/2008/03/27/safari-3-1-windows-developer-tips.aspx

Just let me know if you have any problem.

Cheers

C

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Carlos,

That's superb - thanks smile

Gareth

Your welcome smile
c

by Joe K -

Hi,

I would be happy to test it and I have some hardware resources as well....

Joe K.

In reply to Joe K

Hi Joe K
thanks, which hardware resources do you mean?, different kind of mobile devices?
Kind regards
C

Desktop and iphone version...
DHIQeYoO7HXpP2WpK8KMig?feat=directlink

Screen%20shot%202010-03-02%20at%2007.39.43.png
From moodle iphone
Slide1.png
From moodle iphone
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Bryan Williams -
Carlos, this is starting to look interesting; I'm in your corner and let me know if you need resources to continue your work. List of things I'd like to see:
  • Dashboard
  • Calendars
  • Forum digests
  • Notifications (Assignments, Quiz)

Hello Bryan.
thanks for your mail.
I will share with you the calendar and the grading book

We wanted to have the same iPhone calendar style but we didnt manage.
here is the calendar we made, the green dots means an event. If you click that area you will get a pop up with the detailed information of the event. (second picture below).

At the end you will see the grading book. In order to read the feedback the student has to click over the icon (arrow) on the right side . "Blue icon" represent the quiz, "green disk" represent an assignment.

Greetings
C

IMG_1062.PNG
From moodle iphone
IMG_1063.PNG
From moodle iphone
IMG_1064.PNG
From moodle iphone

by Joe K -

I have some mobile devises and have some Server Hardware, which I am setting up different version of Moodle to test some of our courses...

Joe k

In reply to Joe K

thanks for your offer Joe. We are working with the team now, as soon as we have any news we will let you know it
thanks again!!!
Greetings
c

by Julian Ridden -
I am in awe. Great work. Good re-use of the WPTouch code. I wish I thought of it.

I look forward to see how this progresses.

Julian
In reply to Julian Ridden

Thank you very much Julian

the top bar is WPTouch, but re used some codes from several places.
Greetings
C

by John Andrewartha -
I am with the rest. WooW! & WooW again. The iPone looks so smooth.

JA
In reply to John Andrewartha

Thanks John smile
c

by San-Ho Correwyn -
I'm a colleague of Carlos and just wanted him to congratulate him (and his team) for the great work allready done on this amazing project. Keep going on this! It can become a great step forward for the accesabilty of online courses around th world, mostly for those people in the lower recourse areas! Carlos as you know I have a lot of other work.. but if I can be of any help... you know where to find me smile Design some catchy icons perhaps?
In reply to San-Ho Correwyn

by Lewis Carr -

Brilliant!  I LOVE IT!

It looks far better than what I've developing.  Keep going guys it looks really good, I can't wait to see it in action.smile

In reply to Lewis Carr

Hello Lewis

Would be possible to develop it together with you?

I think that you have much more experience than us. You were the one that started this project, and Hiroki Inoue gave me the idea of the WPtouch

Greetings

Carlos

by Lewis Carr -
YES!! Let's do this.
I'd love to work on it with you, maybe we can get it in the Moodle Tracker and rope Julian in as well!!!

In reply to Lewis Carr

Thank you very much smile

I will give you access to the server quite soon.

About the Moodle Tracker and to rope Julian in, it is up to you. I trust on your decision.

We are here to learn from you.

by Julian Ridden -
Consider me well and truly roped. Whatever I can do to assist with this project development please let me know.

I would certainly like to help test and can also assist with css if needed. WOuld also, when your open to it, would like to move this into CVS as well.

Feel free to contact me directly if there is any other ways you think I can assist.

Julian
In reply to San-Ho Correwyn

hey San-ho,

Thank you so much San-ho, but it was done with your help as well.

Greetings
c

by jennifer nelson -
Fantastic on so many levels.
Thanks for working on this
Thanks for sharing
I'm sooo looking forward to helping test
(or anything else we are capable of helping with!)

~J
In reply to jennifer nelson

Your welcome Jennifer.

We hope to count on you, to help us to improve the application for the whole community.

well, if you have any suggestion please let us know it.

Greetings

c

by Andrew D -
this looks great, I'm also very keen to help test this when available.

Nice one.

Andy
In reply to Andrew D

thank you so much Andy. we will really need your help!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/carlos.kiyan/MoodleIphone#

Greetings
C

by Mari Cruz García -

Hello Carlos,

Thank you very much for the list and thank you for the screenshots of your amazing development. Mobile computing seem,s to be one of the key trends in the development of learning technologies.

However, I always find a sort of oxymoron when discussing this topic (LME/VLE  platforms running on mobile devices). Moodle is an open source software project and the software for mobile phones is completaly propietary, which means the opposite. How can both tendencies be armonized?

This is an aspect that was also mentioned at the iMoot, as I can recall, as Martin Dougiamas mentioned some developments for the iPhone (because this seems to be the most used mobile phone at the Australian HQ).

Are we not at risk of making Moodle a new iPhone apps (and therefore a propietary standard de facto) with this new developments?

I just wandered...

Regards

Mari

In reply to Mari Cruz García

Hello/Hola Mari
Your welcome

Probably web-based applications (web apps) are those which will enable what you call “harmonization” (open source projects and software for mobile phones)...We will see in the future if some companies will be more flexible to approve any application.

You made me recall a discussion about the approval of a Google Voice application.

Google Voice to be retooled as Web app for iPhone. Available at:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10305716-37.html. August 7, 2009

Google Voice finally on iPhone--in the browser. Available at:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10440880-265.html. Published January 26, 2010

There are some commercial companies that they are planning to develop Moodle native application. But from our side is the moment to start strengthening the moodle open source mobile community to warranty to keep it open for the future.

One of the most interesting examples in Moodle’s history was when Blackboard mentioned that they are the proprietary of some patents (if I am not wrong).

Right or wrong, my impression is the strength of the Moodle’s community has had an effect on the decision to issue this statement by Blackboard

Blackboard Announces Patent Pledge in Support of Open Source Software and Home-Grown Course Management Systems. Available at:

http://www.blackboard.com/Company/Media-Center/Press-Releases/Archive.aspx?releaseid=956876

Well, we still have to continue working to keep it open

Greetings

C

In reply to Mari Cruz García

by Ryan Chadwick -
I think it's silly to think of it as an us Vs them scenario. The two can and are coexisting and working together very well.

Both open source and closed source have advantages and disadvantages and they both benefit and learn from each other to create better, stronger solutions that everyone benefits from.

I don't see how iPhone OS being closed source (or the managed nature of the App Store) hinders or detracts from the open source nature of Moodle in any way. You are still free to make apps for WinMobile, Android, Symbian, Maemo or anything else that comes along in the future. None of them are dictating that you can only talk to them or that you must change Moodle in any way either.

Open source claims to be about freedom and offering people a choice. If you start telling people that they shouldn't mix and match certain products in ways it seems many want to then aren't you effectively removing choice?

In reply to Ryan Chadwick

hello Ryan
thanks for joining to the discussion

I am not against to any commercial initiative. I agree that from both sides (open source and closed) they have a lot to learn from each other and benefit as well.

Right, nobody is dictating what we have to do.

I am not planning to remove the freedom of choice.

If you check my previous post I wrote here a link of a company that is planning to do a commercial application. I am searching everyday and trying to find all the people or companies (open and close) that are trying to develop an iphone application in order to let the people know the variety of the options out there, because I do agree that we have a lot to learn from each other.

Sorry, my english is so bad, I am not a english native speaker. may be that is why my message was not so clear sad

what I meant is that it is important to keep the open source option for mobile devices to let the people decide at the end. and take into account some strategies from a business company.

Concerning the sustainability the "closed option", the business model is clear, but in open source projects is much more difficult some times.

I do apologize for my bad english sad

and thanks for joining to the discussion. I am here to learn from of all you in order to improve what we are doing by now

Greetings
c (sorry I am a bit lazy to write my complete name smile )

Moodle iPhone App and iPhone Theme - Mobile Learning for Higher ..
Moodle on your mobile phone! Have your students access the university's Learning Management System from their mobile phone.

http://moodleiphone.com/

by Bryan Williams -
Thanks for the additional screen-shots Carlos, looking really good. smile

Ryan, you're right of course. Sometimes OSS is a good choice and sometimes a commercial solution is. Lots of times people chose mix solutions to get the results they need. There is plenty of commercial software that has been integrated with Moodle.

Your welcome Bryan.
Thanks for keep the discussion going

The Moodle Mobile team is bigger now.

here is our logo.... Thanks to one of the members of the team. I cant reveal the names of the members by now.

moodleiphonelogo.png
From moodle iphone

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Carlos -

We are very interested in your project. Let us know how we can help... Test, developers, anything.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

Hi Mike
You are helping us joining here.
We will let you know it how can you help us in the future..
for the moment we are trying to organize how to work in our new team.
c

by Chad Outten -
Thanks for the heads up, Carlos, Lewis, JR et al. Looks like a great project. You have an army of willing and able testers ready to assist. Pls keep us posted.

Hello Bryan
thanks for raising the issue... mix solutions. (open and commercial ones)..

here is an example with Mobile Moodle.

we were looking for an option on how to store files from moodle mobile.

at the itunes store there are some commercial solutions:

Screen%20shot%202010-03-02%20at%2010.02.36.png
From moodle iphone

...we can open the mobile moodle webapp with one commercial application

IMG_1075.PNG
From moodle iphone

we select the file we want to download, (pdf, movie,...)

IMG_1080.PNG
IMG_1079.PNG
From moodle iphone
From moodle iphone

and we can play or read them (offline) wherever and whenever we want
IMG_1095.PNG
From moodle iphone
IMG_1083.PNG
From moodle iphone
IMG_1096.PNG
From moodle iphone

please, I just want to say.

Our project doesn't have any relationship with this url

http://moodleiphone.com/

I just wanted to share with you that this company that is planning to develop mobile applications, but I am not linked with it.

I do apologize for this misunderstanding.

c

official moodle4iphone

Dear all
this is our official website
http://iphone.moodle.com.au/

http://www.youtube.com/moodle4iphone

Have a good weekend
Kind regards
Carlos

Re: official moodle4iphone

by Andrew D -
Hi Carlos

This is looking great from the screenshots we have seen, and i am really looking forward to trying this out

I just wondered, if you are able to set any kind of expectations with regards to availability of this?

Please don't get me wrong, I am not looking for any kind of commitment here, heck your doing us all a massive favour even doing this. I just wondered if we are talking weeks, months, or more, though before it's available and we can give it a try.

Any idea you can give, no matter how vague, would be really helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Andy
In reply to Andrew D

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Andy,

i have become an unofficial spokesman for the project and Carlos asked me to quickly respond to your post.

The answer on release is really a "it will be ready when it is ready". A demo will be up next Friday for people to play with, but the code is still a but rough.

At the moment it involves hacking a fair bit of code. We would like to get it in a better shape to make it easier to deploy before release.

When the demo is up, the more who can help us test and provide feedback, the faster we will get it released.

I know that is not as specific as you want, but at this point it is the best we can do.

The moodle4iPhone team

by Andrew D -
Hi Julian

That's fair enough there was no harm asking.

I can't say I blame you, any hint of a date and people start holding you to it. smile

Thanks

Andy
In reply to Andrew D

by Roger Emery -
Hi All,

Just catching up on this thread.

I agree that a browser based solution is probably a better road to go down. An App will potentially require centralised maintenance by one organisation and would be difficult to customise to local needs.
A browser solution offers localised customisation and much wider further development across the community.
I did look at the options of producing an App last year to combine the alerts and updates from moodle and other functions from our portal (intranet) but as both keep developing, it would have been a maintenance nightmare.

This solution you've outlined above looks very sweet - it'll make mobile learning a much more streamlined activity with the interface you suggest.
My colleague ran a 'learning on the go' project using ipods which was good - but linking back to moodle was cumbersome should we have wanted to offer quizzes etc. This looks like it would much streamline that process.

Looking forward to the test release - I can offer testing and feedback from those in my dept should you need it.

Regards
Roger

In reply to Roger Emery

by Bryan Williams -
Totally agree with these comments Roger. Think most mobile developers decided some time ago to develop for the browser rather than the device. Since Apple is unfriendly toward open source and has become a major bully in the mobile space it really reinforces that the browser is the way to go. Who wants to be stuck under Apple's thumb. sad

by Mike Summers -

Fabulous project- I am looking forward to testing this on my schools VLE!

Pardon my ignorance on these matters, but will this mean that further work would need to be done on courses in order to accommodate the phone display- or would existing courses, resources and activities be sufficient (format restrictions taken to one side).

In reply to Mike Summers

Dear Mike,
Thank you very much

it depends what kind of contents do you want to deliver, the activities (quizzes, forums, chat) are working like the desktop version. at the moment it is not possible to upload any kind of content from the iPhone or iPod touch.

I would suggest you to try first the moodle4iPhone webapp and then if you want we can discuss about it.

greetings

C

http://www.youtube.com/moodle4iphone#p/a/u/0/9d0rY8Sg86k

by Mike Summers -
Hi Carlos!

Thanks for the response! My school uses Moodle as its primary delivery tool for about 40% of its curriculum.

Most of our classrooms have access to wireless networks- so students being able to access information in a non linear way via mobile has very exciting possibilities in terms of how students fundamentally access their learning.

Mike
In reply to Mike Summers

Hi Mike
thanks for your response..
do you have examples of the materials that you deliver?
Greetings
c

by Pavel Gonzalez Garcia -
Hi Carlos
Congratulations for your excellent work!!!

Dear Carlos, we are trying to develop and implement an iPhone application that interact with moodle but not like a web.

We planning to develop a webservice in PHP to serve as the interface between the application installed on the Iphone and the moodle database.
But when developing a webservice that would make our iPhone application was not standard for everyone in the world. Because this webservice should be installed on servers and
this would be complex for administrators.
We want an application that is standard for all.

how do you make the interaction between moodle and iPhone application without using browsers?.

We are interested in developing a moodle for Iphone and standardize it for moodle ver >1.9.

Thanks for your time,
Ing. Pavel Gonzalez
Fundacion UVirtual
www.uvirtual.org
In reply to Pavel Gonzalez Garcia

Hola Pavel
muchas gracias, are you planning to develop a native app?

if that is the case Hiroki Inoue wrote me:

"in case of iPhone App you should develop WS server program to send the
data to the client via "XMLRPC", for css you should add the code to
course/index.php to put the data retrieved by the query mentioned
above."

Im sorry sad I really don't know how to help you.

Mucha suerte en tu proyecto

Saludos

Carlos

by Pavel Gonzalez Garcia -
Hello Dear Carlos.

As you said we want to develop an application pure for Iphone what interacting with any moodle > 1.9.x and could be standard.

Could you explain how you are working now? You're using only CSS?

Do you speaking spanish?
If you want could be have a meeting way skype or phone.

thanks for all.

Best regards,
Pavel

In reply to Mike Summers

by Mike Summers -

Hi Carlos!

Nothing too glamorous- quizzes, presentations, assessment, surveys and a few web pages!

Our PE department is using online text to allow students to submit homework- this maybe useful in order to get work from course participants?

I can create an account for you if you want to have a look?

Mike

In reply to Mike Summers

HI Mike
that would be nice if we can try it out.
of course, I would like to have a look,
Thank you so much!!!
Kind regards
C

Hello Bryan
Please, take a look of these pictures

IMG_1128.jpg
From mobile moodle
IMG_1129.jpg
From mobile moodle

by Bryan Williams -
Carlos,

smile smile big grin smile smile

Today I went to the store to try out the web app with a HTC Legend

The pictures are blurry, but you can have an idea how does it work when you want to jump to a different topic. The wptouch bar is not working yet.

IMG_1139.jpg
From mobile moodle
IMG_1138.jpg
From mobile moodle

We are inviting everyone to create an account at http://iphone.moodle.com.au on Friday 19 we will give access to test the application.

by Julian Ridden -
Hello all, i thought it way past overdue for you to get an update from the team. Please excuse the fact I am copying and pasting this from our own Official site. I can be lazy at times ;)

Firstly, a big thank you to everyone for the kind words of encouragement and offers of suport. this means alot to us and will help us move forward more quickly than ever before. But it is time now for us to ask YOU for your help.

This Friday (19th March) we will finally be letting our live demo loose on the web. You have seen the movies, heard the talk, now you can see it in action for yourself. But we need YOU to tell us what works and what doesn't. This is a big step for us before releasing the code to the world for download.

Please click here to enter our Community Zone and let us know what you like, don't like and bugs you find so we can keep this project moving forward.

While we are more than happy to encourage ongoing discussion in this forum, I would appreciate any bugs, feature requests and ideas to be posted on our site so that we make sure we dont miss out on what you have to say

Regards

Julian
Attachment moodle_iphones.jpg

by dan attwood -
This apps looks pretty cool.

I wonder if any one had tried this:

http://www.appcelerator.com/

Looks like it could be a way to build both the iPhone and Android apps at the same time and off the same code base.
In reply to dan attwood

by Julian Ridden -
I had not seen that before. Downloading now and having a look.

Julian

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
There was an article in a Belgian newspaper about the project. Congrats!

Just a shame they didn't mention it is based on Moodle.
In reply to koen roggemans

We have sent the same press release to different places. it seems that they have edited that part.

http://www.medicalfacts.nl/2010/03/19/e-learning-via-iphone-aan-instituut-voor-tropische-geneeskunde/

http://www.mo.be/index.php?id=63&tx_uwnews_pi2%5Bart_id%5D=27868&cHash=7d38eeecef

Thank you so much on behalf of the team. the team has grown , and here is the list of all the members

Lewis Carr UK
Hiroki Inoue/Learning Design-Japan
Julian Ridden (aka Moodleman)-Australia
Michael Penney /Remote-Learner.net-USA
Ludo-Marc Alier-Spain
Instituto de Medicina Tropical Alexander von Humbolt-Peru
Institute of Tropical Medicine Antwerp-Belgium

by Mike Churchward -
Hi Julian -

Where can I "see it in action for myself"?

mike

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
point your iphone to http://iphone.moodle.com.au

or check out the moodle4iphone youtube channel.

by Mike Churchward -
But, that's just videos again...

Julien's post said:
"You have seen the movies, heard the talk, now you can see it in action for yourself"

I assumed that meant I could see it live, no?

by Joseph Thibault -
you are correct. It is live at that site. It's a web app which means that it will render differently on your iphone (or android for that matter) using the WPTouch foundation.

You can also use Safari or Firefox to check it out with a plugin (I think it's inherent in Safari) to view sites as if you were using an iphone.

I think registration may have closed as of 3/19 for testers, but the outer site is definitely "live"

Hello
we are still allowing everybody to register.

If you don't have the iPhone or iPod touch safari, you can use the Safari user agent
here is a video that shows how to activate the user agent

windows

by Mike Churchward -
I have an iphone, and I registered on the site, and enrolled in the course. I can't seem to find where the "web app" is?

mike

by Mike Churchward -
Okay. I'm a little slow...

Now I understand. If I view that site from my iPhone browser, I'm seeing the Moodle site re-formatted and optimized for my iPhone.

Got it.

mike

by Joseph Thibault -
You got it. Note that there are 2 additional apps that I know of on the market for mobile Moodle (mle.sourceforge.net and www.moodletouch.com). I've checked both out, Moodletouch is a comparable solution, but it's native rather than web based (meaning you'll be able to download the app from the store and use it on any Moodle site instead of accessing a site with Moodle4iphone and then saving hte bookmark).

The community has really stepped up for mobile learning.

by Mike Green -

Hi Mike - Web app on iphone is basically just a shortcut to a website (usually one that's optimised for iphone, as in this case) dropped onto your apps screen. Browse to the site's homepage in Safari, Click the + on the options bar at the bottom of the screen. and choose Add to Home Screen. Voila - one web app.

I've just tried it, and it looks pretty cool: and browsing the demo course on the iphone, I see that it includes a link to instructions for creating the web app link: http://www.moodlemonthly.com/2010/moodle4iphone-look-and-feel-sneak-peek-ckiyan/ 

In reply to Mike Green

by Joseph Thibault -
note that it also works for Android...I've tested it on a HTC myTouch. The shortcuts system is a little different (but comparable).

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Mike, sorry I am late to respond.

That website IS the demo. Point your iPhone/iTouch or Android device to it and you will see the code in action. It is a model of "practice what we preach" :D

Julian

by Jonathan Konrad -

I was so excited about this project a year ago when it was under hot development. Does anyone know what happened to this? Was the code released? Did it turn into something else? Where should I go for the latest information?

Thanks to anyone who is around.

by Ali Hastie -

I too would love to know what happened and where i can find any downloadable code/apps??

Ali

In reply to Kamil Walas

Ynt: Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Ali Ozgur -
Hi All,

We are about to publish MTouch, the first and only native IPhone application for Moodle. MTouch does not require server side changes and is directly usable by the students.You can check details or download the "Try before you buy" free Windows version
In reply to Ali Ozgur

Re: Ynt: Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Jean FRUITET -
Links don't work sad
In reply to Jean FRUITET

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Ali Ozgur -
In reply to Ali Ozgur

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Jean FRUITET -
I have tried this app with Windows 7, not iPhone.
It uses HtmlAgilityPack lib to parse moodle site, displaying pages in text mode.
When you access to a Moodle page, all pictures are discarded (or can't be loaded : plugin error), title font can't be zoomed out...
Browsing on such a display is very tedious.

You can't test it on https servers nor localhost moodle server nor url like :
http://moodlemoot2009.insa-lyon.fr/login/index.php?authCAS=NOCAS

Even http://iphone.moodle.com.au/ with a correct login + password you get an error sad

I think the browser approach is more flexible.

In reply to Jean FRUITET

Re: Ynt: Re: Ynt: Moodle Mobile for iPhone

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Jean,

I think there are rooms for both approaches and both will have advantages and disadvantages. There are obviously some things we cant do on the web, but at the same point it is easier to implement.

I am looking forward to seeing how both projects progress and seeing where the differences will take us.

In the end the student/teacher will win by finding the tool best suited to them.

Julian
In reply to Kamil Walas

by Mike Kruger -
Hey guys,

Interesting posts. I have just developed an application which creates iphone aps out of GIFT format questions, it is very simple to use. Most questions in moodle can be easily converted to GIFT format using the Questions>Export tab.

The resulting ap looks really good. You can easily customize it yourself:
  • Ap Icon
  • Home screen picture
  • How many exams (up to 20,000)
  • How much time per exam
  • Feedback via hash key
  • Much more!

To publish it to iTunes you need a license ($100) of you could send it to me and I will publish for you.

I would like to eventually make this open source but I need to recoup my costs to start with as it cost me a few grand to develop. So any one interested please email me at krugerone (at) gmail.com

Thanks!

Mike
In reply to Kamil Walas

by Paul Raper -

I have just taken a quick look through the threads to see if there is anything on using the Mobile Application with Moodle 2.1 or higher. Thus far I haven't found anyone who appears to be using it with current versions of Moodle, or else there are no reported errors.

I have just tried to set up the application with Moodle 2.2.3, but am getting an error that says that the App requires Moodle 2.1 or higher, but since I'm using 2.2.3, I am using a Moodle version higher than that stated by the App.

Has anyone else had this message, and how did you work around it?

Many thanks in advance for your support.

Paul

In reply to Kamil Walas

Dear all

It has been more than 2 years that we have released the Moodle4iPhone project http://iphone.moodle.com.au.  Unfortunately it was not ready to be officially released.

We kindly request you to go to http://m.ideas4ict.com/ and enroll to the course and give us some feedback (at the social forum http://m.ideas4ict.com/mod/forum/view.php?id=4) in order to improve this theme before to make it public for the whole Moodle Community.

We will release 2 theme, 1 for mobile devices and the second one for tablets.

Looking forward to see you around

Thanks in advance on behalf of the team