CORRECTION TO: How I omit grades (crude and primitive)

CORRECTION TO: How I omit grades (crude and primitive)

by Paula Edmiston -
Number of replies: 2

I messed up on the post titled "How I omit grades (crude and primitive)", dated Thursday, 17 April 2003, 01:49 PM so please ignore that. My mistake was to completely comment out the "Administration" box. That meant that I, the administrator could not see the Admin box!!

I believe the following code is better. It prevents students and guests from seeing the admin box that contains the link to grades, but when you are logged in as the admin you will see the admin box that contains all the other important links!!

I am so very sorry I posted that bad information and wish there was a way to delete it from this forum so no one can be hurt by it. I did post a reply to that incorrect post stating that it wasn't a good approach and I hope that will be effective in protecting people from my error.

Here is the corrected post

I'm using moodle to teach continuing education to K12 teachers. These teachers have to accumulate a certain number of continuing education credit per year in order to keep up their certification. These classes don't have grades. They are "pass/fail" in that if the teacher completes the assignments they get the credit.

I didn't want to use grades so I modified two files.

1. Prevent students and guests from seeing the Administration box (located in the left column) containing grades link on the course home page. But allow administrators to see this Admin box.
    1. Open moodle/course/lib.php
    2. at about line 679 I replaced

print_side_block(get_string("administration"), "", $admindata, $adminicon, "", $width);

with this:

// paula blocking student and guest view of course Admin box
      // see also moodle/mod/assignment/view.php line 69

if (isadmin()) {
      print_side_block(get_string("administration"), "", $admindata, $adminicon, "", $width);
      }
      }

2. Removed assignment due date and grade from view of an assignment
    1. Open moodle/mod/assignment/view.php
    2. at about line 69 I commented out the following lines:

// paula commented out lines that display grading information on
      // view an assignment
      // see also moodle/course/lib.php line 679

// print_simple_box_start("CENTER");
      // echo "<B>".get_string("duedate", "assignment")."</B>: $strduedate<BR>";
      // echo "<B>".get_string("maximumgrade")."</B>: $assignment->grade<BR>";
      // print_simple_box_end();

I know this is a very crude and primitive approach. It means that no course will see references to grades, not just this one course. Ideally, when creating a course, there would be an on/off flag for "Use grades" but I don't know how to do that.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paula Edmiston

Re: CORRECTION TO: How I omit grades (crude and primitive)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can delete posts, using "Delete" at the bottom - I've done it for you on the other thread.

A "use grades" flag is a good idea ... you should file a feature request on http://moodle.org/bugs smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: CORRECTION TO: How I omit grades (crude and primitive)

by Paula Edmiston -
You can delete posts, using "Delete" at the bottom
I was in such a frantic-panic I did't even see the delete option!

A "use grades" flag is a good idea ... you should file a feature request on http://moodle.org/bugs

I followed this link. I thought I'd made an account before but couldn't log in. So I selected to make a new account and it didn't work. I put in my name and email address and clicked ok and nothing happened. The screen erased what I typed but kept the form. SO I coulnd't get logged in to make this entry.