Error in IE when opening uploaded files

Error in IE when opening uploaded files

by Michelle Moore -
Number of replies: 7
Wouldn't you know it--MoodleMoot US is in two days and our Moodle server is acting up!

Here's the problem--
When I (or other users) try to open uploaded files in Internet Explorer I receive the following error messages:
First, "class not registered" then I click okay and see a second error message that states "The software installation data in the Active Directory is corrupt."

I can open the same files in Mozilla Firefox without any problem and these same files used to  work in Explorer.

We are running Moodle 1.3.1.

Any help would be appreciated. smile

Thanks,
Michelle
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michelle Moore

Re: Error in IE when opening uploaded files

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What changed? Is this just on one machine, on one network, or from anywhere to your server. Which versions of IE are affected? What sort of files - any uploaded file or just certain file types?

Strangely I couldn't find that error in a Google search, which is odd. *Somebody* has normally seen just about everything before - it sounds bad though

by Bryan Williams -

Michelle,

This isn't a  problem with Moodle. Active Directory is the term Windows 2000 and XP use to refer to their file system. Class not registered means that whatever this uploaded resource is, its file extension name is not recognized in the Windows registry. That several people are reporting this on different machines indicates that possibly the file associated with this resource on your Windows server has become corrupted or somehow dropped its association from the registry. Check to see what happens when try to open this file directly on the server. This is where I would  start to look.

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Patrik Nilsson -
It almost sounds to me that the program that should open the file is remotely installed from Active Directory. Maybe try install the program on the local computer or check the install file in Active Directory.. not sure what sort of file you try to open but try install the program on the local computer first, not sure if the AD remote install will mess with the installation so you might have to remove that in AD while testing locally. thoughtful
In reply to Patrik Nilsson

by Michelle Moore -
I am consistently having problems with Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents. I was able to open a video file, an uploaded webpage, and an image without any trouble.

Thank you all for the suggestions--I'll do more poking around--with the MoodleMoot upon us I was just hoping for a quick fix. ;)  At this point it looks like our solution might be that new Moodle server we are preparing to set up. smile

Thanks again!

by Patrik Nilsson -
A new Moodle server will probably not fix the problem.. video and images doesn't use the office package so thats why they work.. its your microsoft office installation that seems to be the problem.. if you have a techy.. tell them to fix the microsoft office installation or if you can do it yourself, or get a microsoft office cd and install from that on your computer.. the problem isn't on the moodle server its on the computer you are working at that has a problem.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Michelle Moore -
If I try to open the file from the Files area on my Moodle course, I see the same errors.

I also tried to add a new resource to see if the "old" resources were the issue or if it was a more general problem. I was able to upload the resource as normal, but again, when I try to open it--errors.

by W Page -
Hi Michele!

The computer folk (IT ??) at your University/College should be dealing with this and correcting the problem. If they do not, I suggest, you find out from the AudioVisual staff if you can plug a overhead projector into a computer or laptop and run your Moodle Presentation from there.   Install your
Moodle from one of Floyd's installer programs at ,  http://goohio.com/moodle/

WP1