Windows server: How to install moodle in windows server 2008?

Windows server: How to install moodle in windows server 2008?

by Stephen Cezar -
Number of replies: 15
Hi!

Can anyone guide me in installing moodle on windows server 2008? I am using xampp, apache and mysql.

I first installed xampp and its working, I can create a database for the moodle, I also created a directory for my moodledata and set the appropriate permission, but when I run the moodle installation, it hangs on the portion where it will start creati the database. Blank page will appear.

Appreciate your help very much!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephen Cezar

Re: Windows server: How to install moodle in windows server 2008?

by Richard Enison -
SC,

Sounds like you've done everything right, so far (I'm assuming you have checked the version numbers of PHP and MySQL and confirmed that they meet Moodle's requirements, as well as the other requirements, etc.). Also, XAMPP is generally not recommended for use on a server for security reasons. Here are a couple of FAQs that might help:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Why_is_a_particular_page_blank_or_incomplete.3F
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Installation_hangs_when_setting-up_database_tables

RLE

by Jonathon Hile -
Hey have you installed php you dont want to use xampp it will cause to many complications. I used php apache and mysql and it runs fine for me.
In reply to Jonathon Hile

by Tim Clayton -

Hi Jonathon,

We are about to migrate over to server 2008. Are you using moodle on server 2008

In reply to Tim Clayton

by Heather P -
Hi

we are looking to upgrade to Windows 2008 Server from Windows 2003 (32 bit server). Have you made your move yet and if so do you know whether you are using 64 bit or 32 bit and whether or not you are using standard or enterprise versions of Windows 2008 server.
Thanks

by Jon Wong -
I get the same problem. I get a blank screen. It seem to get part way in the installation, then you get a blank screen
I am using windows server 2008
XAMPP

by Ashley Sands -
Hi,

I am also having the same problem with XAMPP on Windows Server 2008.

Has anyone found a solution?
In reply to Ashley Sands

by Larry Elchuck -
Check to see what the MEMORY LIMIT is set to in your php.ini file. The MEMORY LIMIT to should be set to at least 40 MB.

http://docs.moodle.org/en/PHP_settings_by_Moodle_version

memory setting

You will then need to restart XAMPP, if you change this value.

In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Ashley Sands -
It has been set to 40 M. I am using a 32 bit O/S so that should be enough.
In reply to Ashley Sands

by Caroline Sturtridge -
Hi,

Not sure if its related, but came across this thread as I was having similar problems trying to install Moodle 1.9 on Vista 64-bit with WAMP.

Looking at the apache and PHP error logs, it turned out the problem was due to the location of the data directory. I put my moodle and its data directory in a different place to wamp/www, but even though I'd specified the location in the install when prompted, the install was still trying to use :

c:\wamp\www\moodledata

and was hanging when it couldn't find it or files it expected to be in it. Changing the data directory to the location it required got me onto the database screen which is futher than I had got before.

Hope that helps.

Caroline
In reply to Caroline Sturtridge

by Ashley Sands -
Thanks for the post Caroline, but unfortunately this did not solve my problem.
In reply to Ashley Sands

by Caroline Sturtridge -
I have had to tweak the install.php file a few times to get through the installation - whats the last screen you see before you click Next and it times out/goes blank?

by Ashley Sands -
The screen where I set the data directory and those two other parameters.
In reply to Ashley Sands

by Caroline Sturtridge -
Thats as far as I got until I changed the data directory location and that was the only thing I changed which got me onto the next screen which is the database screen.

Is there anything in the PHP error log that might have a clue as to the issue?

C

by Richard Enison -
CS,

Whoa! You had it right in the first place. Are you using that Vista box as a server for other users? Then the data directory absolutely needs to be outside the web-browser-accessible area, for security reasons, like you originally had it. If the system was looking for it in the wrong place, it is probably because you had $CFG->dataroot configured wrong in config.php.

RLE