allow students to edit & share files in a directory or an upload assignemnt

allow students to edit & share files in a directory or an upload assignemnt

by Matt Halvorson -
Number of replies: 4

I have a project that the whole class is working on together. They need to be able to see files and pictures other students upload, make changes to them and then re-upload them. I tried the upload assignment and advanced upload but neither allows students to view and edit each other’s work. What would be ideal would be a resource that displays a directory, but allow all students to upload (edit files) instead of just me, the teacher.

Is there any way to make it so students can edit files in a directory resource? Or any other ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Halvorson

Re: allow students to edit & share files in a directory or an upload assignemnt

by Markus Mostert -

Hi Matt,

I'd be interested to know why you are not considering using the Moodle Wiki for this collaborative project? The only real "disadvantage" of a Wiki is that students have to edit online, (i.e. editing online would be problematic only if access to computers is problematic), but nothing would stop them from working off-line and then simply copying and pasting it into the wiki. Also, they would be able to add their off-line constructed documents as attachments to their wiki-pages.

Markus

In reply to Markus Mostert

by Matt Halvorson -

I am unaware of a way for students to upload pictures. I need the to be able to upload lots of pictures and publisher documents. They will download the pictures edit them and then upload the edited version so the other students can view them and reedit them. Basically I need a shared directory. As far as I have used Wini it has only been with online text, but if there is a way to do more with it I would be interested.

In reply to Matt Halvorson

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Matt,

What about the Database module?

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Matt Halvorson -
Thank you I will look into the database module. I hadn't though about using it because I haven't used it yet. The best I have come up with so far was to use the files resource to display a directory and then override permissions for the students to be able to manage files for that course. The reason I still don't like this idea is because I can't limit the override to a specific folder which gives the students access to the root folder for the course. I will look into the database to see if that will work for me. Thanks again.