Accidently added global/system role to users and not able to remove it

Accidently added global/system role to users and not able to remove it

by Lisa Handley -
Number of replies: 7
HI,

I had a look through the forum questions and was not able to see if I could get an answer for my dilemma.

I am new at using Moodle and am playing on a test Moodle server our school has (so no repercussions for staff!). I have full access rights in terms of I am an administrator within Moodle. Before I fully understood about local and global or system wide roles I added some of my users to system roles when they should only have been assigned to roles local to the course. When you add a user to a system or global role Moodle gives you a start date value from which date the role will take effect. Well I came back after a few days and I removed these users from having these system/global roles. The date displayed for the effective date was the current date. So they were removed but they still showed in all my courses despite no longer having these system roles attached to their profiles. I think it has to do with the effective date when I was in the remove/attach system roles form. You cannot edit this date and it defaults to the current date. So even though I removed these roles the effective date of removal was after the effective date for the initial granting of these roles. The only solution I see if to be able to set the effective date back to prior to or equal to the start date I initially set up the system roles but I am not able to edit the date.

Is someone able to tell me a work around to removing users who no longer have system roles from showing in my courses and/or tell me if there is a way to edit the effective date for system roles???

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!
Lisasmile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lisa Handley

Re: Accidently added global/system role to users and not able to remove it

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Lisa,

Just wondering what version of Moodle you are using? I tried to reproduce the problem you describe in Moodle 1.9.2 and failed - everything worked fine. When I unassigned users from their system roles they no longer showed up in every course.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Lisa Handley -
Hi Helen,

I am using Moodle version 1.9.1+ (unsure if the plus means anything?). So I am assuming it is one behind 1.9.2.? I will be contacting my sys admin and getting him to update the Moodle to the latest version and I will see if my problem goes away (which by what you told me will or at least won't re-occur!).

Cheers
Lisasmile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Lisa Handley -
Sorry to bug Helen-one more quick question....when I am looking through the moodle web site I can determine that there is 1.9 available but cannot see where I could direct my sys admin guy to get 1.9.2...is there a link or section of the Moodle site you can direct me to where this information resides? I am assuming that 1.9 is the version and anything after (ie 1.9.1 and 1.9.2) are the updates....pardon my lack of knowledge here I have only been using Moodle for a very short time (couple of weeks?).

Anything you can tell me will help!
In reply to Lisa Handley

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there Lisa smile This is the download page
http://download.moodle.org/
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
And I'm sorry I know this isn't actually any help but - I've got a Moodle 1.9+ and I tried to replicate it too, but it worked for me too sad
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lisa Handley -
Thanks Mary-I am hoping when I upgrade I can prevent myself from getting into this loop again (it has provided me with a healthy respect of what not to do!).

much appreciated,
Lisasmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lisa Handley -
Thank-you!!

much obliged,

Lisasmile