Grading across courses

Grading across courses

by colin melville -
Number of replies: 21
Is it possible to track student progress across multiple courses? thoughtful The idea is that a tutor could pull up a view of all progress of a particular learner, rather than by course. Does the gradebook currently track only by individual Course? mixed

Colin Melville
In reply to colin melville

Re: Grading across courses

by Sascha Beh -

I'd also be very interested in this feature... if anybody has any idea please let us know. Thanks!

Sascha

Grading across courses

by Markku S. -
I am also interested about this function. It would be very practical to see all the courses and grades by student. Now you can only see student grades only by individual course.

by Tony Ruggiero -
We have a strong need for this feature. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Tony
In reply to Tony Ruggiero

by Macky Chauhan -

We really need this feature urgently

In reply to Macky Chauhan

by Mike Wilson -

This functionality would be amazing. It would be really handy for a student to be able to see all their grades from all courses. Possibly linked to their profile?

Seems like this has some merit to go it into a later version of moodle?

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Dan Jeffries -
Yes we really need this feature too - from the perspective of both students AND tutors!

Moodle - make it so!!

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Colin - There certainly seems to be interest. I would suggest adding it to the tracker as a feature request. With the work being done on the gradebook it seems like an opportune time. I would envision the student being able to select from a drop down list a list of his or her classes and then looking at the grades. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Mike Wilson -

I'm confident Moodle will develop some increased functionality for the gradebook along the lines discussed. There seems like a real need for it.

I was a bit impatient though, so put together something to use in the mean time.

I hope to add this plug-in to the Moodle Plug-ins and Modules section early next week, but here's a sneak preview.

Feel free to download and use:

AllMyGrades.zip

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Dan Jeffries -
This doesn't want to download!

Any chance you could get this working? Intrigued to see it!

Ta smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mike Wilson -

Oops, sorry about that. This link should work ok:

AllMyGrades.zip

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Andrew Chow -
Hi, Mike,

the instructions in the Readme file look promising.

I may want to incorporate some of the features into the Completion Report block. What you have created is only a small step away from having a Transcript for a student, and then another small step to issue a Certificate of Completion in PDF format.

I am excited to try your code.

Thanks,

Andrew
In reply to Andrew Chow

by Mike Wilson -

Cool, that's the first time I've heard about the completion report block. It looks interesting, I'm gonna take a look.

Cheers,

Mike

In reply to Mike Wilson

by Andrew Chow -
Hi, Mike,

it is still work in progress so please let me know when you have any comments.

I try to update the bug list online as soon as I can, but you know how it is with time constraints. sad

I am working on adding the Excel download feature at the moment.

Andrew
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Andrew Chow -
Hey, Mike,

I finally got it installed on 1.8 for testing, and it looks great. I have some trouble with the code, but once I converted $CFG->prefix and a few other little things, it works fine. I will test it using a number of test users and let you know the result.

Thanks again,

Andrew
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Andrew Chow -
Hi, Mike,

I set up two students and a teacher, in a course with a couple assignments in Moodle 1.8.

Your code rocks!

I made a couple minor changes to allow an administrator to see all the assignments from all the users in all the courses. I plan on doing the same for teachers, so they can see only the grades from their courses, and no one elses.

Does the new gradebook in 1.9 have your features? It takes so little to get so much. By the way, I changed your single line in the core code as well:

Instead of the code in README.txt

Print "<a href=http://www.southampton-city.ac.uk/moodle/grade/allmygrades.php target=_blank>All My Grades(across all my courses)</a>";

I used the following:

echo '<a href="allmygrades.php?course=' . $COURSE->id . '" target="allgrades">All My Grades(across all my courses)</a>';

This allows me to pass along the course id to the allgrades.php file, and to open only one new window called allgrades, instead of open a new one each time. I would prefer to use the Moodle function to open the pop up window, but that can be added later.

This will get me started learning how to generate the new functionalities that so many people seem to want, namely displaying grades from different courses. I will try to format the result into a kind of transcript for individual students and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Andrew
In reply to Mike Wilson

by Tom Hogan -
Mike,
This is a great plugin! We do need something like this, but even more we need something similar for teachers:
  • On our site, each student gets a personalized course. This means that a teacher who teaches 50 students, for example, has 50 courses to teach.
  • 90% of that teaching is providing feedback on essays written using the online assignment module.
  • This means that the poor teacher must go into 50 separate courses, select the assignment, and then grade the single submission therein. Then go out of that course, and into the next. Rinse and repeat.
Is there some way to modify your plugin so that a teacher can see all assignments in all his courses (preferably filterable by graded/not graded, but not essential)?

I realize this is a completely different kind of functionality, but I'm a bit desperate, and asking never hurt anyone, right? wink

In reply to Tom Hogan

by John Bangali -
Hi,

This is a very important issue. Also we are trying to implement such a personalized course with 10 students. We are in the design phase. Do you have any link in helping us to implement such a system? My understanding is that you need a Course with the name of each student so 10 curses in total. May be this post is outside the scope of this thread, but any help will be appreciated smile.

Thanks

John
In reply to John Bangali

by Tom Hogan -
Hi John,
I don't have any link, as I haven't seen anyone else doing this, but what we do is:

1. Create a template course with all the content and activities that students may need to use.
  2. Back up the template course.
  3. For each student, restore the template course to a new course with the new student's name ("Math Level 1 for Nathan", for example), and assign the student and teacher roles.
  4. The teacher modifies the content and activities as needed for this particular student, hiding what will not be used.
The drawback, of course, is that the template course must be finished before you can give it to all the students. Adding something later means importing it into every single course.

By the way, my request above has already been met by another block! big grin
In reply to Tom Hogan

by John Bangali -
Tore,

Thanks a lot for your info. I will try your system
Regards
John
In reply to John Bangali

by Mark Tyers -
Hi
Maybe this block will solve your problem big grin

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=917

There was a small bug that stopped the links working correctly but this has now been fixed (hopefully).

Make sure you download the latest version (uploaded on 31st July).

Enjoy

Mark
In reply to Mark Tyers

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Mark

This link doesn't appear to lead anywhere! And whose problems would this solve - as there are quite a few people on here with different ones!

Thanks for any help you give smile

Dan