Moodle documentation: Instructions for using RSS newsfeed block

Moodle documentation: Instructions for using RSS newsfeed block

by Jon Bolton -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Can I draw your attention to the first draft of the instructions for installing and configuring the rss newsfeeds block. Comments welcome.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10245#50072
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Bolton

Re: Moodle documentation: Instructions for using RSS newsfeed block

by Jennifer Burke -

Jon,

I have admin rights on the moodle course i work on.  I recently trained staff here on 'what is new in Moodle 1.5' and was blabbing on about how great these rss feeds are.  The staff loved them and left the session wondering what feeds they might use.  Because i have admin rights on the site, when go to set up an rss feed, i see a screen that has a ' Configure this block ' and ' Manage All My Feeds', the teacher see this also.  Where my problem is is that when a teacher ie. only teacher editing rights, tries to 'manage a feed' and add one he/she gets an error message saying 'sorry, guests are not allowed to post.  You are not allowed to manage feeds at this time'.

Have i installed the rss block featuring incorrectly?

Can people with teacher editing rights manage feeds, if so, how do i as admin enable this feature.

I would really appreciate your opinion on this.

Regards

Jenn

In reply to Jennifer Burke

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Jenn

You can change this setting in admin -> blocks -> RSS: you can choose for admins or teachers and admins. Is default on admins only
In reply to koen roggemans

by Jennifer Burke -

Thanks for that.

Jenn

In reply to Jennifer Burke

by Heather P -
Did changing that setting work for you?
I've made the change but still get the same 'Guests cannot make these changes' or words to that effect even though the person is logged in as a teacher.
Possibility we might be caching somewhere but I don't know where or why.
Thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Mark Stevens -
I just upgraded my site last night to the latest stable (1.5.2+ 2005060224) and all is well with my RSS feeds for teachers.
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Paul Andrews -
Ello.

We've put a few bits and bobs together re: Rss feeds.

Feel free to steal!

http://vle.gloscat.ac.uk/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=126

big grin

In reply to Paul Andrews

by Heather P -
Interesting. Had a look at your PowerPoint tutorial but it only goes as far as a tutor selecting from a list of already entered feeds.
Can your teachers add their own news feeds or only select from the list that the administrator has already added? Do they get a message about Guests not being allowed to do that?
Thanks
In reply to Heather P

by Paul Andrews -
Admins only!

Not sure about the message I'd need to check.
big grin
In reply to Heather P

by Mark Stevens -
Heather-- I've got a step-by-step screenshot tutorial for teachers to add feeds at:  http://moodle.snevets.com/mod/resource/view.php?id=1142.  For this to work, you'll need to upgrade from version x220... there was a patch somewhere, but you might as well wait for 1.5.3 which is due any day now...
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Heather P -

Hi there

I think I would rather have the patch as I don't particuarly want to upgrade production systems mid term - I might be shot if it all went wrong! That and I have about 16 of them!
It was in the testing of a tutorial (we have a trial copy of Captivate that we were trying out - I have to say I like it even if it isn't open source!) that we discovered that the teacher can't do it, only an administrator.
Many thanks it is always good to see how others do things.

Heather

In reply to Mark Stevens

by Heather P -
Thanks, I'll check what version I'm on.

My Moodle is 1.5.2 (2005060220) - does anyone know if it works on that one?

Thanks