I have a user requesting a fix for what may or may not be a bug in Moodle 1.7.x; I'd appreciate the community's view on this use case:
1. an assignment is created out of 100
2. a student submits, and is graded 80 (80%)
3. for some unknown reason, the teacher/tutor realizes the assignment should really be out of 50 and edits/updates the grade for that assignment
4. the gradebook now shows that the student got 80/50 (160%)
5. instead of the teacher now adjusting the student's mark, I am asked to make the gradebook automatically change the student's grade to be 40 so that the student still gets 80%....
Intuitively, it seems to me like there are two practical solutions: either the assignment activity should lock out editing the grade after at least one assignment has been submitted, or perhaps this should just be a human workflow issue related to the flexibility of the tool: if you make a mistake and decide to change things later, you may have to go back and adjust where necessary.
So does anyone know if the 1.9+ version works differently than 1.7+ in this regard, or could anyone please provide a couple of good reasons that the tool works this way that I could pass along? My gut tells me that there are a zillion ways I could get in trouble by making the gradebook substitute marks in mid-stream when assignments change.