Firefox 3 password remembering gets confused by Moodle

Firefox 3 password remembering gets confused by Moodle

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Has anyone else noticed, and been annoyed by, the way that Firefox 3 seems to be over-enthusiastic in using your stored password in all sorts of other Moodle forms. For example, if you create a new course, it automatically puts your personal passwork in the Enrolment key field of the from, and if you create a new quiz, it puts it in the quizpassword field. (That is how this was brought to my attention: MDL-15174, in addition to encountering this myself.)

Googling around, I have failed to find any other mentions of this problem, or how we can avoid it in Moodle.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Firefox 3 password remembering gets confused by Moodle

by M. N. -
I have experienced this problem in Moodle as well. Doing a search on Google for "firefox autocomplete html field" I found quite a few useful links in the first page of results. This is definitely not a Moodle specific issue and unfortunately there is not perfect solution to the problem but the search results provide many different possible workarounds.
In reply to M. N.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Most of the pages found by that search are posts from a few years ago when auto-complete was new. I am interested in newer issues specific to Firefox 3 which seems to lead to many more false positives. That is what I cannot find any information about.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Süreç Özcan -
I have also experienced this (when ever editing the quiz-options, it saves your above mentioned password and I have to delete it before saving) annoying password issue.
I have noticed that I am using Firefox 2.0.0.16 (Firefox->Help->About Mozilla Firefox) and that I have this issue in Moodle 1.9.beta and 1.9.2+. In Moodle 1.8.2+ I don't have this problem!
In reply to Süreç Özcan

by Tim Hunt -
Oh, so it was a change in Moodle, not a change in FF. It helps to know that. Now, I wonder which change it was that caused the problems?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tim Hunt -
Ah, it looks like MDL-16108 might fix this problem.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marc Grober -
btw, I get a permission violation if I try to look at that tracker item.....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Howard Miller -
Try again... now it's resolved you should be able to see it. I think mixed
In reply to Marc Grober

by M. N. -
I also get a permission violation but I just wanted to add that I experience the problem with Moodle 1.5.4 with FF3 but I don't remember if I had it with FF2
In reply to Süreç Özcan

by Michelle Moore -
This auto-fill also happens in several places in the Admin settings. For instance, the Site Policy URL auto-fills with my username anytime I visit that page and the cron password fills with my Moodle password. I don't recall having these issues with 1.9 and the previous version of Firefox.
In reply to Michelle Moore

by Nicolas Dunand -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

Well, I couldn't access this tracker.moodle.org specific page, either ...

But looking into cvs.moodle.org (specifically this page: "MDL-16108 force autocomplete off for unmaskable password fields") gave me this hint, which made me able to resolve this issue (at least for the course enrolment key form).

What I had to do in my case was to add the following line to the lib/form/passwordunmask.php file :
.>getAttribute.

In reply to Nicolas Dunand

by Tim Hunt -
You can't see that issue in the tracker because it has been marked as a (minor) security issue - it will be hidden until 1.9.3 is released. That is probably a bit overzealous on someone's part. Still, it looks like you correctly found what needs to be changed.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
i also experienced this issue sad

we use FF 3 addon "stealther" to help students and teachers surf Moodle and other CMS in schools. the addon is disabling all personal information being saved or displayed in situations where students switch computer sits quite often.

it also prevents auto-complition and you can configure it for much more...