Removing outcomes when updating assignments

Removing outcomes when updating assignments

by Paul Ganderton -
Number of replies: 5
I want to remove outcomes from an assignment. It can't be done via updating and the Moodle docs page suggests it can be done:

"however they can be removed via the gradebook edit categories and items page".

Could be I'm doing something dumb but I go there and can't find any mechanism to do it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
In reply to Paul Ganderton

Re: Removing outcomes when updating assignments

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Paul,

After spending ages looking for it myself, I agree with you that it's difficult to spot! wink Please see the assignment module FAQ and let me know whether the instructions help.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Helen,

Thanks very much for this. Outcomes could be removed and reorganised. I'll need to investigate further when I have the time as removing an outcome in one assignment seemed to uncheck it in others as well. I had reached the right page but was confused when the outcomes and assignment shared the same icon and my initial attempts hadn't worked. Perhaps outcomes need a separate icon.

I must say I find the gradebook the least intuitive of all the features in Moodle. Obviously highly complex and customisable but not straightforward.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Paul, thanks for your feedback. approve I also found it confusing that the outcome had the same icon as the assignment, and so I created an improvement issue in the tracker - MDL-16103. Please vote for it if you'd like it to be implemented. (You'll need to create a tracker account and login in order to vote.)

If you have any further suggestions for improving the gradebook, please post about them here in the gradebook forum and/or create another improvement issue in the tracker. Any help in making the gradebook in Moodle 1.9 easier to use is much appreciated. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Paul Ganderton -
Helen, Thanks. Duly noted and done smile. My main problem is getting Moodle better established in my school and the docs. site doesn't always help. I'm not a developer but an end-user trainer (i.e. virtually no coding but years of trying to get people to understand and use ICT in schools). Currently, I'm trying to mesh Moodle into an e-learning pedagogy framework matched with cognitive development. I find my year 9 students (NSW Australia school system) really take to the gradebook element and get into Moodle that way. The one thing stopping me is the documentation. I'm used to writing my own - but if I can risk the wrath of users in far larger and more complex systems - the documents put people off not help. I can see the point of the documents but they're written by coders/users for similar. We need documentation for end-users. In this respect, gradebook is the least transparent. Sorry, but you did ask for my opinion!

by Stephen Overall -
Yes, I agree. I am just starting to use outcomes in my courses, and I just spent an hour trying to remove an outcome. I also found the correct page, but even after reading the various threads here I was still thrown off by the assignment icon attached to the outcome. Once I finally saw it, I had a good laugh at myself smile , but before that moment of recognition, it was like searching for a well-camouflaged rabbit in an overgrown field.

Giving Outcomes its own icon would certainly help clarify a powerful but complex Gradebook module.