Major resource error with internet explorer.

Major resource error with internet explorer.

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 2

When teachers upload a .doc and link to it as a resource explorer can’t download the file and has this error message:

“Internet Explorer cannot download ….file.doc from moodle.mysite.org.

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.”

It doesn’t happen with all .doc files and it doesn’t happen in Firefox.

I can force IE to download the file sometimes by right clicking->open in new window. But that doesn’t always work.

I am running 1.8 (2007021505)

Any help would be most appreciated!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Major resource error with internet explorer.

by Dave Erisman -
Hello,

We had this same issue..sigh.

We identified this error and resolved by modifying the page where the download link is located and setting the download options by selecting "Same Window" and NOT "New Window" and it was like magic.

Hope this helps...took us a just about all day to find this. We were able to find this by clicking on the download link and when the Save As dialog box appears, the file name had no .doc extension (it was missing and replaced with _).

Regards,

Dave
In reply to Dave Erisman

Re: Major resource error with internet explorer.

by James Scully -
Hi all,

We have this same error with many courses and files. We also like to use the "Open in New window" facility for this type of file to clearly separate it from the course window as our students are not very experienced computer users.

Same problem occurs with XLS files but we get more error screens along the way

Is there a proper solution out there? Do I have to file a bug report?

James