Integrating a Highlighting and Tagging System into Moodle

Integrating a Highlighting and Tagging System into Moodle

by Iyad Doush -
Number of replies: 10
Hi,

I have developed a web highlighting and tagging system with semantic web capabilities. I need to integrate my system with Moodle (enable students to highlight online course pages).
The system is built using Servlets on the server side and Javascript on the client side. I used Tomcat as the server for my work.

Anybody can tell me what is the best way to integrate my work into moodle.

Thanks in advance.

Iyad
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Iyad Doush

Re: Integrating a Highlighting and Tagging System into Moodle

by Zoran Jeremic -
Hi Iyad,

I work on similar thing as you. I'm trying to integrate Moodle with several other tools based on the common ontology framework. I'm developing educational services in Moodle based on the SW. One of those things is annotation, highlighting and tagging, which I have not started yet, but I thought about using existing tools (i.e. OATS).

If I have understood your question well, your problem is how to connect Moodle with Semantic Web technology?
If so, there are several possible ways how you can do this, depending on the technologies you want to use or you are familiar with.
In my work I'm using Sesame API. I have developed Java library that works with Sesame directly and I'm using PHP/Java bridge to connect Moodle with Java.

Other possible solution, if you are using Sesame is to use Phesame (http://semweb.weblog.ub.rug.nl/node/117) to connect PHP with Sesame. I can't remember the reason why I have decided not to use this.

If you are not limited to some specific RDF repository such as Sesame or Jena, you can use RDF API for PHP (http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bizer/rdfapi/tutorial/netapi.html). It is not compatible with Sesame or Jena, so you can't for example share common repository with some other java-based application.

I hope this will help you.

BTW: Which ontology are you using?

Zoran
In reply to Zoran Jeremic

by Iyad Doush -
The problem I have is how to integrate my work which is built using servlets and JavaScript into Moodle?

I know that I have to do the following :
a.Have Moodle and Tomcat on different ports
b.Write in a proxy that receives all requests from javascript (the client)
c.Forward requests to the address of the tomcat server .

But I still don't know how to start (where to put my javascript code in Moodle, what is the best (and also easy) way to build the forwarding proxy to send requests fro Moodle server to my code in Tomcat server).

In Moodle I want the highlighting to be available to different web pages in the course (Lesson, Activity, forums,.....).

The ontology I'm working on is E-learning ontology I built specifically for Moodle using Protege. The programming part of the semantic web is done using Jena API.

I just need any ideas on how to do the integration, if anybody did a similar thing (integrating a work done in Tomcat server into Moodle) and can give me a simple example on where to put my files in moodle and where and how to build the proxy that will forward requests from Javascript into Tomcat server that would be very helpful.

Iyad

In reply to Iyad Doush

by Zoran Jeremic -
>I just need any ideas on how to do the integration, if anybody did a similar >thing (integrating a work done in Tomcat server into Moodle) and can give me a >simple example on where to put my files in moodle and where and how to >build the proxy that will forward requests from Javascript into Tomcat server >that would be very helpful.

I'm not sure which kind of files you want to put in moodle? Do you mean a JavaScript code or servlets? It is possible to add JavaScript that will send requests to Tomcat server and add information to the ontology. But I think it is not a good solution to use client called WebServices. SW technologies itself have performance issue, so you have to take care about that. WebServices can make thinks become even worse.

by Iyad Doush -
Ok, the files that I need to put into Moodle are JavaScript files (the client part in my code). The server part (servlets) will be in Tomcat server waiting for requests from the clients files which resides somewhere in Moodle. the server side will be the part that will handle the semantic web side using Jena API.

In reply to Iyad Doush

by Zoran Jeremic -
Ok, it's clear now. You can make it that way, but the answer on your question where to integrate JavaScript in Moodle depends on that what should that script do in Moodle. You should put JavaScript on each page where you want to have that functionalities, or even better if you use the same functionalities from many pages, to create a separate files of JavaScript files and reference it from Moodle pages you want to use it (Course page, lesson page, ...)

I suggest you to take a look at this system (http://ihelp.usask.ca/OATS/). It is designed on the same way as you have described, and it is available for download. I have tried it several months ago, and I remember that it was very easy to integrate in any application, and there were some instructions how to integrate it. There are also some papers available about this on the author's site (http://www.cs.usask.ca/~ssb609/).

I hope this will help you in your work.

Zoran
In reply to Iyad Doush

by Iyad Doush -
I added the javascipt code (the client side) into lib/javascript.php which works.
Now the problem is with the server, I added a perl proxy script into cgi-bin directory in order to forward all requests from my system in Apache server (Moodle) into Tomcat server. But still not working.
If anybody have solved same problem, or have any idea how to add scripts in cgi-bin and make them work with Moodle?

In reply to Iyad Doush

by Zoran Jeremic -

نظر در مورد: Re: Integrating a Highlighting and Tagging System into Moodle

by لیلا حسینی -

Dear Zoran,

You said that you have good experience with OATS. Can you integrate OATS with Moodle? I want to integrate OATS with Moodle but I don't know how I can do that.

Please help me if you have a successful experience.

Regards,

leila

In reply to Iyad Doush

by Neda Shafiee -

hi, can i have some information about your developed system? is it free on the internet for other people to use it or not? i,m developing a note annotation system and i need such a system you deveolped. so i wanna to know if it is possible foryou to share it with others or not?

Regards

Neda

In reply to Neda Shafiee

by Thomas Fuhr -
Hello,

I'm trying to find out, what activities exist to integrate Semantic Web technologies with moodle. In the discussions I found that there are some people around having ideas, but there don't seem to be plugins etc. Is this right?

Some students of mine did a little project regarding the learner-driven construction of ontologies within moodle. That's why I'm interested in related activities.

Regards
- Thomas