Moodle newbie entering mathematical equations in quiz

Moodle newbie entering mathematical equations in quiz

by prasad paramashivappa -
Number of replies: 11

Hi

I am a new user of Moodle. I have been successful in creating quiz in general using text. However, I am lost when it comes to creating quiz having Mathematic expressions.

I would like refer to step-by-step instructions on how go about doing it. What do I need to configure, download, install to enable me to eventually create Mathematical quiz questions with distractors too being Mathematical expressions.

Any leads to previous posts giving me leads would also be very helpful.

Thanks,

Prasad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to prasad paramashivappa

Re: Moodle newbie entering mathematical equations in quiz

by Ian Wild -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Prasad,

The first question is: do you have a maths filter enabled and working?

Cheers,

Ian.

In reply to Ian Wild

by Chris Swaffield -

Ian -

Is there a tutorial on how to install and enable the math filters? I would like my math teachers to be able to enter expressions and have them display correctly. Do you have to download a filter from a different site? ASCIIMath, I think, is something I'd like to use,but don't know enough about it. Many thanks.

In reply to Chris Swaffield

by Ian Wild -
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you both: it's really busy at the moment just before Christmas. Chris: we've got a page in Moodle docs giving a brief overview of Moodle's math tools. It's at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Mathematics ASCIIMathML is pretty easy to install - full instructions are on the download page here: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1695&filter=1

Note that ASCIIMathML needs a special MathML player and SVG viewer installed in Internet Explorer (they are already included in Firefox).

Hope this helps,

Ian.
In reply to Ian Wild

by Marc Grober -
There has been some confusion about using asciimathml which I have tried to address by creating a module page (which Ian referenced above) which links to a docs page at http://docs.moodle.org/en/ASCIIMathML which has links, instructions and some explanation of the issues.

I suggest that asciimathml NOT be installed as a filter AND that you consider turning other Math filters off if you are implementing asciimathml. You will find that if you install asciimathml through your theme that it is amazingly fast, robust, and that it does not run into conflicts so it will work in your quizzes, hotpots, etc all without trouble.

I am still hopeful that Moodle 2 will include asciimath and dragmath integrated in tinyMCE implemented though themes that wouold allow you to invoke asciimath by course or user, but we shall see......

by Jeff Forssell -
I haven't tried ASCII math, but have tried both the TeX and Algebra Filters that have the advantage that they are built-in Moodle.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Ian Wild -
Hi again,

Marc's right: certainly TeX filters work fine in quizzes (I've been looking at this today, in fact) but ASCIIMathML filters don't. ASCIIMathML has the benefit that it doesn't require you to learn TeX but, again, does require you to have the right plug-ins installed in IE.

It's worth mentioning that you might have problems with the TeX filter if your Moodle is installed on shared hosting: often the functions that the TeX filter needs are turned off on the shared hosting server (it's a security consideration).

Hope this helps,

Ian.
In reply to Ian Wild

by Marc Grober -
If you use the file identified in the asciimathml doc as providing fallback then if you don't install IE plugins or use a browser that doesn't support MathML yet (like Safari!) it provides you with the option of having it fallback to mathtran or mimetex (you'll need to tweak the js file for your installation).

btw, one of the reasons asciimathml.js is so large is that includes the ability to do svg, parse quite a bit of tex and convert asciimathml text expressions to tex for display via mimetex on fallback..... it also comes with a calculator and there are lots of other neat things you can do with it (for example, David Lippman who did the fallback has also created a chat app that incorporates asciimath....)

there are tracker items for including asciimathml as core technology: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-384
Vote and watch

by Ramon Eixarch -
Have a try with WIRIS Plugin if you want.

It connects your Moodle server to WIRIS editor, a WYSIWYG editor, which includes images in the edit mode and is extremly easy to use (specially for your students).

In reply to Ramon Eixarch

by Tamar Bacon -
This looks pretty neat but requires you to purchase the WIRIS Formula Image Service and WIRIS Editor...
In reply to Tamar Bacon

by Marc Grober -
There are elements of the WIRIS "system" that are "free". WIRIS does provide a path from "free" to COTS, but if COTS is not in your future, then I think asciimathML is your best bet.
In reply to Tamar Bacon

by Ramon Eixarch -
The cost for WIRIS tools are, we believe, reasonable. Currently many small Moodle installations are using WIRIS Editor and image service from the demo service for free. We are not going to shut down that service in the mid term.