Page Not Found Error when I try to login

Page Not Found Error when I try to login

by d d -
Number of replies: 3

I installed and configured moodle 1.9 successfully. The system was up and running for about a week w/out any errors. I now get the message below when I click on the login link on the home page to login:

============

Page Not Found

We cannot locate the page you're looking for. Please check the address and make sure all letters are lowercased with no spaces. You may also move to a different page by using the links in the menu bar above.

======================

Can anyone tell me how to correct this error?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to d d

Re: Page Not Found Error when I try to login

by Richard Enison -
DD,

1. Something must have changed. Either the login page is no longer there, or the link to it is different. What changes have you made to your Moodle site since it was working? Did you or a colleague edit the home page or config.php or some other php file? Or did someone change the web server configuration? It would help to know more about that configuration. See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#System_information_needed_for_Installation_Forum
  2. When you are looking at the home page in your web browser, depending on which browser you use, you might see the URL that the login link points to appear on the screen near it when you move your mouse pointer over it; or you might see it on the status bar at the bottom of the browser window. If not, you might be able to find it by right clicking on the link and selecting Properties from the pop-up menu. If none of those methods works, you should be able to find it by looking at the Page Source. You would see something like

<a href="http://127.0.0.1/login/index.php">Login</a>

which is what it says on mine. The stuff between the quotes after href= is the URL of the login page. Look in the login subfolder (subdirectory) of the main Moodle folder and see if the file index.php is still there. If not, you might need to download or at least extract Moodle again (or at least that file). Make sure you download the same version if you want to extract on top of the existing file structure.
  3. If the URL in the link is correct and the file it points to is there, I would suspect that the web server configuration has been corrupted. What to do about it depends on where it came from. For example, if you downloaded the complete Windows package, you could do that again. If you do, you will need to run setup_xampp again.
RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by d d -

This installation is running on Linux w/ MySQL in a Network Solutions hosted environment. The "index.php" page is in the login folder. The login link for the login URL on the splash page is pointing to the index.php page. But the page doesn't come up when I click on the link. It simply displays the aforementioned error message and the browser's address bar is pointing to http://mysite.com/courses/login/outcomes . Now I don't have a page or folder called outcomes in my installation.

In reply to d d

by Richard Enison -
DD,

Neither do I. My best guess is that
  1. for some unknown reason the link to login/index.php got redirected to login/outcomes, and
  2. the error occurred because it couldn't find a page or folder named outcomes.
So I did a thorough search of my Moodle site (1.8.3) for the word outcomes. There are two occurrences. One is in a comment in question/format/blackboard_6/format.php, and the other is in the definition of a constant that is never used, in question/type/rqp/rqp.php. The constant is defined as 'http://rqp.org/outcomes/'.

Of course I am assuming that you have renamed your main Moodle folder courses, and that the web document root (the folder mysite.com points to) is the parent folder of courses. It might be of some small interest to confirm these assumptions, and to see how wwwroot and dirroot are defined in the config.php file in courses.

Well, that's all I have so far. Just thought I should pass these mad ramblings on to you as soon as possible to see if they lead anywhere.

RLE