How to remove blocks with no removal icon and add blocks without blocks block?

How to remove blocks with no removal icon and add blocks without blocks block?

by Per Olsson -
Number of replies: 3
A problem with the blocks occurred to me that made me wonder something in general.

I added the Latest News block and that caused problems! When the block was added the blocks block was completely gone. The second problem was that I couldn't get rid of the Latest News block either, since there was no heading with removal, move, hide icons at all. I tried to make the block invisible, but it didn't work. I tried to uninstall it, but it was still there. I thought I could keep it there but I never found the blocks block and then there was no point in continuing som I removed my installation and reinstalled it - no big deal since I had just started.

But the question arose:

How do you add/remove blocks without the blocks block? Is it possible to remove e.g the Latest News block some other way? Through the database, via ftp, coding? Anything?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Per Olsson

Re: How to remove blocks with no removal icon and add blocks without blocks block?

by Robert Whisnant -
I have a perhaps related problem. I can delete blocks and add blocks to the front page, but the blocks I add as well as the ones that are there have no editing capabilities so they are not particularly useful. This happened after I set the user role for the front page to be (none) as was recommended to keep just anyone from editing the page. Now, however, even administrators cannot edit the page AND no users are available when one tries to assign roles for the blocks.

Any help would be appreciated.
In reply to Robert Whisnant

Re: How to remove blocks with no removal icon and add blocks without blocks block?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Robert,

Please note that most blocks do not provide the option to edit them. In general, there is no need to assign roles to a particular block.

Regarding administrators not being able to edit a page, I suggest you check that all of the user policies settings (in Administration > Users > Permissions > User policies) are left at their default values and that your administrator role is reset to defaults (in Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles).
In reply to Per Olsson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Per,

In order to add/remove/move around blocks, you need to click the "Turn editing on" button at the top right of the course page. Sorry if this is already obvious to you.