NWiki upgrade from 1.6 to 1.9 - issues to be aware of?

NWiki upgrade from 1.6 to 1.9 - issues to be aware of?

by Steve Wright -
Number of replies: 5
We've got an upgrade coming on our moodle site - one of our modules is heavily based around nWiki -

Are there any issues experienced with an upgrade from 1.6 to 1.9 (prob via 1.8.4)?

Is there any way of backing up the existing course and ensuring it can work somewhere? I've tried backing it up and then restoring on a spearate 1.6 area we have for another organisation but got this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IS_IDENTICAL in /var/www/vhosts/hrdnow-training.org/httpdocs/mod/wiki/view.php on line 4

The rest of the course has backed up fine and nWiki is enabled on this server/site but backup/restore not working makes me VERY worried for an upgrade.

FInally - is there any way of effectively exporting the content so it could be pulled back in or at least got at to rebuild from scratch if upgrade doesn't work?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Wright

Re: NWiki upgrade from 1.6 to 1.9 - issues to be aware of?

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers
We have recently completed a similar upgrade 1.6 -> 1.8 -> 1.9. At each stage, we deleted the native Moodle Wiki code and added an appropriate version of NWiki before running the upgrade script. NWiki seems to be working as well or better than on 1.6 and existing courses containing Nwiki seem to have upgraded OK. That said, we don't (yet) make extensive use of NWiki so have not rigorously tested.

However, we did take the precaution of keeping a working copy of our entire 1.6 system. i.e. copied the folders containing moodle and moodledata to a new location and used mysqldump to copy the database which was then reloaded into MySQL. If you are working on the same server (and you are backing up somwhere else, aren't you ? wink) you will have to give the copied database a new name and adjust the copied Moodle's config.php to reflect this and any changes in the the details of the /moodle and /moodledata folders. You may also need to run the /moodle/admin/replace.php script to update any hard coded links so that they still work in the new location.

In my experience, mysqldump is more reliable than using Moodle's built-in backup and restore capabilities which can have problems with 3rd-party modules.

Once you have two working 'clones' of your 1.6 system you can upgrade one of them secure in the knowledge that if it all goes 'horribly wrong' you still have a functioning version to revert to!

MoodleDocs has lots of guidance on all this, though I'll be happy to provide further technical details if required.

Good luck with the upgrade!
In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Steve Wright -
Worked fine big grin

Even the nWiki content moved across with no problems and created exact copies in new courses.

If only we could get nWiki to work reliably on our other moodle site my dislike/distrust of nWiki would start to disappear...
In reply to Steve Wright

by Steve Wright -
Or if this upgrade allowed teachers or students to save their edits...

Upgraded fine - but no-one can edit unless they use safari.

And multiple posts here have received no help sad

In reply to Steve Wright

by Jesús Martín -
Hi.
What version are you using? I installed version 2008060301 without any problem...

See you
In reply to Jesús Martín

by Steve Wright -
Any easy way to fdind out - nWiki install has been so problematic in the past I now get our hosting company (pteppic) to do it.

They took the latest stablke/released version and installed.

It doesn't work (so why was it released???)

Will try to find out...