How can I change ALL instances of role A to role B?

How can I change ALL instances of role A to role B?

by Richard Webb -
Number of replies: 0
OK, you are probably wondering why I would wish to do such a thing. When we first moved to Moodle 1.8, I left the default roles in place. However, I quickly learned that the "Teacher" role had the short name of "editingteacher" and the "Non-Editing Teacher" had the short name of "teacher."

Each enrollment period I forget to set the default role short name correctly, so this year I edited the roles to make the short name "teacher" go with the role of "Teacher" and edited the properties to match those of "editingteacher" and the short name of "editingteacher" has a name of "Default Teacher role (carryover)". It didn't take me long to realize this was the wrong solution. So, what I would like to do now is convert every "editingteacher" role to a "teacher" role and then delete the "editingteacher" role.

It seems to me this should be a trivial MySQL statement, but there may be multiple places that need to be changed and I don't want to go off half-cocked. If anyone has experience in this or can provide some guidance I would be very appreciative.

Thank you,

Richard
Average of ratings: -