Switching "Using Moodle" to 1-point scales

Switching "Using Moodle" to 1-point scales

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just letting you know that I'd like to standardise all the forums in this course to use 1-point scales sometime soon (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=89722#p449096 for previous context). (I'll keep a backup of the existing course for historical study).

I was planning to map the existing scores like this:

7-point scales (1-7)

* Scores 1,2,3 ---> no rating
* Scores 4,5,6,7 ---> "Useful"

5-point scales (1-5)

* Scores 1,2 ---> no rating
* Scores 3,4,5 ---> "Useful"

3-point scales (1-3)

* Score 1 ---> no rating
* Scores 2,3 ---> "Useful"

We'll need to change the calculations for the "Particularly Helpful Moodler" group membership too. Perhaps something like this? :

Members of PHM are those who:

* have more than 20 ratings by more than 15 people, and
* have a (total ratings / total post) quality ratio that is greater than 0.1 or something
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Switching "Using Moodle" to 1-point scales

by Ken Wilson -
I remember my Geography teacher telling me never to use odd numbered scales when designing questionnaires or for statistical analysis, as people would go for the "easy option" of the middle choice rather than thinking about it. Has statistics changed? Or has human nature changed?
In reply to Ken Wilson

by Gary Anderson -
Ken:

An interesting question is whether this one point scale is even or odd. Since those who are making a rating decision have the choice between null and 1, it might be called an even scale and satisfy your Geography teacher.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Interesting. Without trying to pick on Ken, most of the survey's I see are given at the end of a class. There are usually 10 to 20 questions. The "most popular" answer is always the max score, what ever that is.

I was wondering about scrambling the numbers like answers in a question, to force people to pick "the best one".

Or, if we had a standard evaluation guidelines for each question (or each post), what a lot of work and education we would have to do in moodle.org smile And of course no guarantee that every, or even most people would use it instead of basing the majority of their rating criterion on say, the poster's avatar/picture.

Faced with the classic dilemma where the group is sometimes blind to it's own multiplicity of realities, my fall back is that moodle.org is a demonstration of potentials. Some sort of numeric scale gets the point across and I think offers a wider cross cultural understanding with less work. How to change these to different icons/symbols/characters belongs in a forum and in the appropriate MoodleDoc pages.

On the other hand, I would hope we learn as a group when some things 'do not work' for some and that also has value. For example, Even and Odd now has a new meaning for me and I have learned about character sets in my browser.

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Matt Gibson -
Good points about the tendency to go for the easy option and not think. Its a well known effect in Psychology that some people enjoy saying yes to questions, so your questionnaires will end up with a 'confirmatory bias'. the solution is to alternate the questions between high-score=good and high-score=bad, so you counter-balance things.