Email based self registration is still on by default - 1.9.2

Email based self registration is still on by default - 1.9.2

by Ian Wild -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of installing a number of Moodle sites here in the UK and have found that when I'm running through the 1.9.2 install it tells me that email self registration is turned off but when I actually check it is still turned on.

I couldn't find anyone else with the same problem so I've just posted a bug.

Has anyone else had this issue, or is it just me sad ?

Thanks,

Ian.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Wild

Re: Email based self registration is still on by default - 1.9.2

by Ian Wild -
Ok, it's just me blush

Although the self registration module is enabled that doesn't mean to say that you can actually register yourself.
MDL-15898" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-15898

Sorry everyone,

Ian.
In reply to Ian Wild

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Ian,

The issue of two settings relating to email-based self-registration actually came up in another discussion today - New users?

Selecting email-based self-registration as the self registration method allows potential users to self register.

Enabling the email-based self-registration plugin allows users who previously self-registered to continue to login to the site.

I assume you found the email-based self-registration plugin enabled and self registration disabled in your 1.9.2 install?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ian Wild -
Hi Helen,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Yes, you're right. I saw the plugin enabled and just assumed that email-based self registration was turned on. It was only when the bug was immediately closed and I actually checked the log-in page to find the option wasn't there (which I probably should have done in the first place blush ) that I realised that it was indeed disabled.

So am I right in thinking that if you self registered on the site and then I turn email-based self registration off you can no longer log in?

Cheers,

Ian.

In reply to Ian Wild

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
So am I right in thinking that if you self registered on the site and then I turn email-based self registration off you can no longer log in?

Yes, if you turn off/disable the email-based self-registration plugin then you can no longer login. Is it clear in the email-based self-registration documentation?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ian Wild -
Is it clear in the email-based self-registration documentation?

Erm... possibly not mixed

The documentation says that you should enable e-mail self registration for a short time and then disable it when they have all registered - to stop spammers. But if I disable it then surely the people who self registered won't be able to log in anymore?

If I've got that right then you'll suddenly be stopped from logging in?

Surely that's not going to work...thoughtful

...or maybe I've got completely the wrong end of the stick?

I'll test this in a minute and come back to you...

Cheers,

Ian.
In reply to Ian Wild

by Ian Wild -
Hi again Helen,

Sorry that my minute took a couple of days shy. It's always the way when I make promises like that smile !

Right: I think I understand what's going on... but please do correct me if I'm wrong. Here goes smile:

» For a clean install: If I have the e-mail based self-registration plug in enabled then that doesn't matter. I need to make sure that Users > Authentication > Manage authentication | Common settings | Self registration is set to Disable so that I don't get spammed.

» If I want to let students from my establishment enrol themselves then I need to set Self registration to Email-based self-registration. Also very good idea to specify the Allowed email domains setting to my domain. When you have everyone enrolled then switch Self registration back to Disable, but *don't* simply disable the plug-in - because people who self-enrolled then won't be able to log in.

» If you are upgrading: don't disable the plug-in if you've users who self-registered. Simply set Common settings | Self registration to Disable.

I think I was getting confused between disabling the self registration setting (in Common settings) and disabling the plug-in.

Hope all this makes sense. I've been writing a document on user management and I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about big grin.

Thanks Helen,

Ian.

In reply to Ian Wild

by Helen Foster -
Ian, it seems like you understand things perfectly now! approve

I'm going to add a link to this discussion in the email-based self-registration documentation, though if you have chance it would be great if you could edit the page and make the information clearer. wink

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Email based self registration is OFF. and I can't get it on! - 1.9.2

by Arlo Speer -

I seem to have the opposite problem.

I WANT email-based self-registration to happen but the log-in screen doesn't display that option ..... it's either log-in with a password, join as a guest, or retrieve a lost password.  The "create a new account" options isn't there at all.

When I work through Administration

Users Authentication Manage authentication

I see the wide open eye next to "Email-based self-registration" in the "Enable" column.  When I select "Settings", I'm taken to the "Email-based self-registration" where all of the list of items are shown as "Unlocked".  I've tried enabling and disabling the "reCAPTCHA element" with no change in the results.

Is there somewhere else that I should be trying to turn on Email-based self-registration?  Any ideas out there?

Arlo

In reply to Arlo Speer

I've managed to solve my own self registration problem

by Arlo Speer -

I was transferring my Moodle course from one server to another.  That was when I lost the e-mail self registration capability.  I'm not sure which of the following factors contributed to the problem or to the solution, but in case others come across similar problems, perhaps this might spark a solution....

My former Moodle site was a little over a year old. --- I suspect NOT 1.9.2, but perhaps.  My new Moodle site IS 1.9.2

I uploaded my old-site backup files to my new site and restored them there.  Although I was rolling the course over for a new group of September starts, I didn't reset on the old course while it was on the old server -- I left that to do on the new site.  So, I still had a number of students, already enrolled in the course when it was restored on the new site.  Finally, I reset the course on the new server.  Still, I could not get e-mail self registration to work.

I'm not sure if any of the above was a factor, but that's the context in which I was working.

I deleted all of the students from the list.  Still, I could not get e-mail self registration to work.

Then, I disabled e-mail self registration and enabled as many of the other options as I could and saved the course and logged out of Moodle with those other options enabled.  Then, I opened Moodle anew and enabled e-mail self registration.  For the first time, I could see the e-mail self registration was enabled.

To make a short story tedious .... at last the e-mail self registration is working for me.  I'm not positive what action actually made it start working, but right now I feel like my final action was one that I took a number of times earlier ... only, this time it worked!

Cheers, 

Arlo

In reply to Arlo Speer

Re: I've managed to solve my own self registration problem

by Patricia Koefoed -

I have the same problem.  My NINEHUB server was re-created, and the students self-registration does not appear, even though I think I have done everything right.  Did you solve the problem?

Thanks,   Pat Koefoed, Easton, PA, USA

In reply to Patricia Koefoed

by charlie ddm -
Same problem here.

Students enrolled thru "enabled" self-registration.

After they have all enrolled, i disabled it.

After doing that, they couldn't log-in anymore.

Now that i want to enable it again, the drop-down option to "Enable" self registration isn't there anymore.

When you click the drop-down button, the only option is "disable".

Please help. Is this a bug?

In reply to Arlo Speer

by Donna Stanley -
Well darn, I was hoping someone would know what step it was that enabled it because I need this by 1 PM US Central time tomorrow!  I'll keep digging!