New users?

New users?

by trish sutherland -
Number of replies: 4
Hi, How do i stop new users creating their own accounts? We have a big problem here in that if a student or staff member can't remember their password, they just immediatly go and create themselves a new account, rather than requesting an email, or asking me to help, which means i have all sorts of old, unused accounts floating around, and causes much confusion.

Also We have just upgraded to v1.9, and i notice that on the login page, if you get your username wrong, then it just assumes you are a new user and goes straight to creating a new account. how do i stop that?

thanks for any help
Average of ratings: -
In reply to trish sutherland

Re: New users?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Trish,

To prevent new users creating their own accounts, simply disable self-registration in Administration > Users > Authentication > Manage authentication.

Note: The email-based self-registration plugin should remain enabled so that existing users can continue to login to Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by John White -
Hi Helen,

For clarification, you are saying: leave the EYE open against the plugin,
But set Self-Registration to Disable.

As here?

John
Attachment self_reg.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John White

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes John, that's right. Thanks for the helpful screenshot.

It may seem confusing to have two settings relating to email-based self-registration, but it's specifically for situations such as the one Trish describes, where everyone has created an account, and you don't want any new accounts being created. Self-registration can be enabled at the start of a school year for new students to create accounts, then disabled after a short period, say a fortnight, so that no new accounts can be created for the remainder of the year.