Defining Access By Roles? Or Groups? Or just call a Moodle Partner?

Defining Access By Roles? Or Groups? Or just call a Moodle Partner?

by Bryan Hoffman -
Number of replies: 0

I wanted to see if the following made sense for someone to help or if I need to incorporate a Moodle Partner. 

Essentially we need 3 types of Permissions/Roles in our Moodle that need some basic configuration:

Before I explain my 3 Roles, I have to explain how we intend to set up registration or access to our Moodle. We turned off email authentication and we will use Manual accounts. So we will manually set up or import our users with a default password they will need to change. We plan on using 1 Enrollment key for every Course Category. Most of our users have 12 months of access to the Courses in a Course Category  and can enroll into as many courses as they want within that Course category. One enrollment key will make remembering this easy. And since we are manually controlling access, we have tighter controls.

1. Guest Access: Guest can log in as a Guest, and take any course that requires Guest Access; like our Forums. With Guest Forum access they can view only, no posting.

a. I think this is standard with moodle

2. Forum Access: People we manually enter with Forum access can post to our Forums that have Guest Access.

a. They can also take any Guest course automatically. They can view all our other Student courses, but they cannot participate in any way. They can only participate in Forums.

b. Even if they have a Student enrollment key, I want their Role to Prevent them from gaining access to Student Courses.

3. Student Access: People we put into Student roles, have Student access to Moodle and they can use their Enrollment key to gain access to Courses within a Course Category.

a. Example: We have a Course Category called Widgets - Widgets A  …with 7 different courses under Widgets - Widgets A . We would like to enable 1 enrollment key for the entire Course Category Widgets A, and a student has access to only those courses in the category.

i. Example continued: We also might have a Course Category called Widgets - Widgets B with one enrollment key, however I do not want Students who might gain that key the ability to enter the Course Category called Widgets - B until I enable them.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -