Course format demo/proposal - TopicsTree format

Course format demo/proposal - TopicsTree format

by Jonas Nyström -
Number of replies: 18
Hi!

I've been looking for a way to organize topics like a tree structure, but I haven't found any... So I've created a simple solution that fills my needs. I lets me add subtopics inside topics, keeping (almost all) of the standard topic functions.

There's a simple demo at http://didaktika.se/public/moodle
Have a look and let me know if you find it interesting.

There's a lot of admin stuff to sort out to make it work really well (It's easy to add subtopics right now, but deleting or reorganizing them needs db hacking...)

Maybe this could be something for Moodle 2.0?

Regards / Jonas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonas Nyström

Re: Course format demo/proposal - TopicsTree format

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Jonas!

I like this idea very much. I will be looking forward to following the development of this course format. Keep up the good work!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Giulia Pirani -

Hi Jonas,

I like your demo very much!! I installed the experimental version in my moodle and it works well. But I have a problem: How can I delete a sub-topic?

Thank you! Bye,

Giulia

by Travis Burrell -
Wow... this is the type of functionality that should have been built-in from the get-go. Great stuff. Wish I could implement it now...

by Art Lader -

Very nice, Jonas! I hope that you will add this to the tracker at http://tracker.moodle.org. If you do, I will vote for it. I am sure that others will, too. smile

-- Art

Svar: Course format demo/proposal - TopicsTree format

by Jonas Nyström -
Wow, happy for the positive response. guys! smile

I haven't been into the community development territories before (tracker), but I will check it out. Maybe I'll be back for questions...

As soon as possible I will try put together a zip with the needed files and installations, if you want to try (this very experimental) version.

Regards / Jonas

Re: Svar: Course format demo/proposal - TopicsTree format

by Vincent Short -
hi Jonas

i know lots of people here who be very happy to try it

cu
V

Svar: Course format demo/proposal - TopicsTree format

by Jonas Nyström -
Experimental downloadable version attached here.

Requires some light db and code hacking on your moodle installation to work!
I develop on Moodle 1.9, no idea if it works on other versions.

Don't expect fancy admin - adding subtopics is easy, but deleting them or reorganizing them requires db hacking, for ex using PhpMyAdmin, editing the table.

Regards / Jonas

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

was looking for "topicstree" when I arrived to this discussion. Completely unrelated with the cool work from Jonas, I've been spending some hours in one simple approach to the tree visualization and I've ended with one course format that, simply, follows the "indentation rules" to display course activities in a nested tree format.

With some JS here and there and a bit of CSS it seems to be working more or less ok. You can find it in the Plugins Database. It's free. wink I think it can serve, at least, as basic implementation (or some ideas) for something more serious or definitive.

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Khari Kambon -

Hope to spur resurrection of this course format for 2.x versions. We could really use this. for our 2.6 and 2.7 versions. Has progress on this totally stalled?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Khari Kambon

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Khari and John,

If I'm not mistaken, what's being referred to by Eloy and Jonas, is built into all the current versions of Moodle. You have to be in edit mode in a course. Click the edit button for any assignment or resource, then click Move Right. Once you have moved something to the right, you will then also see a Move Left become available.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Khari Kambon -

thanks for the response AL. It helps keep the convo going on this!  What version Moodle do you use this on? I'm aware that in order to see this you have to first set the indentation to see the effect, but there doesn't seem to be a compatible version of this plug-in for Moodle versions 2.0 and up.  It was a  brilliant thing for our courses and none of the other formats come even close to the beauty of this one. I sure hope they bring it back

In reply to Khari Kambon

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Khari,

I have used this capability in all versions of Moodle 2.x. It is NOT a separate plugin anymore, that you have to add. It is now built in to Moodle core from Moodle 2.0 to Moodle 2.7.2.

You need to have your course in Editing mode, then the indent controls are listed in the Edit drop down list. These photos are from my current Moodle 2.7.2+ without any extra installed plugin.

Indent controls

Once you move something, this is what students will see:

Indent items

In reply to AL Rachels

by Khari Kambon -

thanks for the reply AL.  Here's what I am able  to see in 1.9.19.

clicking on those plus/minus icons collapses/expands the subheading content.  In order to get this in this version the course format has to be changed to this (in Course Settings) :

I can see in your img that the content is indented, but what I am trying to do is get the collapsible functionality which greatly reduces vertical scrolling.

when not expanded and editing is off, it would look like this:

It greatly reduces the initially visible content on the page and so loads faster.

any ideas about this ?

In reply to Khari Kambon

by Khari Kambon -

hmm. my images are not showing in the previous post so will try again here:

capture1 is what I am able  to see in 1.9.19.

capture2 is how to set the topics tree format in course settings.

collapse3 is what  I can see when collapsed  and editing turned off.

Attachment Capture1.PNG
Attachment Capture2.PNG
Attachment collapse3.PNG
In reply to Khari Kambon

by AL Rachels -

Hi Khari,

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were wanting. I haven't tried it out for a couple of years, but I think what you want can be found at: https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=format_topcoll

Except for topic 0, it lets you collapse each topic to a single bar unless you toggle it open.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Khari Kambon -

thanks for you willingness to help AL, yes, i did find that collapse topic plugin  in my searches and might have to settle for that for the time being. that one is probably 2nd best of them all that i have seen and it also seems to have consistent dev support. thanks again for helping