Note: files placed here can be accessed by anyone ???

Note: files placed here can be accessed by anyone ???

by Stephen Wilkinson -
Number of replies: 11

Like many others here I would like to share resources between courses.

I realise that this is in development. However, sharing files across courses seems to be available - after all the note in the Site Files states that files placed here can be accessed by anyone.

But how do I (easily) link to these files from coursers once they are in this folder?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Wilkinson

Re: Note: files placed here can be accessed by anyone ???

by Art Lader -
Hi, Stephan,

I always just copy the link location and use that to reference the file.

-- Art
Attachment copyshortcut.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by Stephen Wilkinson -

Thanks for the quick reply.

I understand how site admins may be able to do that, but what about course teachers? They don't even seem to be able to "see" these files.

by Art Lader -
You are right, Stephan! I never even realized that before.

-- Art

by Andrea Bicciolo -
A possibility is the use of the Moodle plugin made by Teemu Sumi. Thread here. Otherwise you may want to check the use of symbolic link (i.e. pointers to folder). Hope this help.
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by N Hansen -
I've always wondered about this, when it says files can be accessed by anyone, does this mean that they are accessible to students who aren't enrolled in a particular course that uses them? Does it mean that someone browsing to the directory could access them?
In reply to N Hansen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually it just means that those site-level files have no access restrictions on them (unlike normal courses for which you need to be a member) ... you still need to know the URL for site files though.

eg

No browsing among courses is possible yet with a basic setup though as pointed out above there are hacks around.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by N Hansen -
I would like to be able to reuse files across courses, but would like them to only be accessible from within the course(s) they are used in. Is this something that the DMS will facilitate?

by Steve S. -
Does this mean that backups of the moodle site can be downloaded by anyone?
In reply to Steve S.

by Steve Hyndman -
Only if you make them available some way like displaying the directory the backups are in....this is often misunderstoon. The key here are the words "can be"...but they are not unless you make them available through some means.

Steve

by scott hallman -

Hi Martin thanks for your fix on the bulk course up loads we managed to load 900 courses in no time at all. We have been reading the comment you made in 2004 and wondered if this has changed. We have played with Learning gateway and class server and this allows a lower base site file access where course files can be loaded from. We can also see the possible solution of using my links and sharing these but it only has a 10 mb file limit. We are looking for a materials repository for each area that can be held on the moodle server and thus accessed outside on line.

Ie when a teacher clicks on add files, that it would bring up a directory on the server containing a repository of files for their area, for them to quickly and remotely load to their course.

Hope you can help. Also how far away is bulk file upload and directory loading?

Many thanks

Scott Hallman