powerpoint

powerpoint

by Marcy Wrege -
Number of replies: 8
I couldnt' find an appropriate forum to post this thread so I am putting it on here. Does anyone know if I could put a powerpoint presentation on Moodle as a resource link?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcy Wrege

Re: powerpoint

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, by all means. Upload in the usual way; choose 'add a resource' and select your powerpoint. However - it might also be worth putting a link to Powerpoint viewer in case your students don't have Powerpoint installed at home. Or else point them in the direction of Open Office Impress which will read Powerpoint.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marc Grober -
There is a discussion of this in the docs, btw.

One concern for me has always been the question of client apps, and for me the fewer and more open the client apps the better all are.

That being said, I think you are well served by converting the ppt file to flash or converting the ppt to web. In the former case you can simply upload and link to one file (and you are requiring that all have access to a flash viewer) and in the latter you would need to zip up all the files produced and upload them to an appropriate directory and unzip, linking to the contents html doc from you resource page, in which case you need no additional clients.

Of course you could always look at using something like S5 .

Critical issues for me have been:
  1. Whether the format deployed can be opened with an open client (ppt can not)
  2. Whether the format deployed has helper apps on all platforms (again, nix on ppt)
  3. Whether the format deployed is easily managed (ppt ranks a so-so in my book)
Having supported students using OS X, MS-Windows and a variety of linux flavors, my choice has been S5 or html first, followed by flash.
In reply to Marcy Wrege

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just going to move this discussion to the resource module forum, so people can find it easily in future.
In reply to Marcy Wrege

by Michael Penney -
Hi Marcy, I did a little tutorial on using Google Presentations (free, online powerpoint like system that imports Powerpoint, converts it to HTML/AJAX, and allows you to publish it on the web) to put a PowerPoint into Moodle:

http://michaelpenney.blogspot.com/2008/07/publishing-powerpoint-slideshow-from.htmll

A few benefits of using Google Docs for this:
  1. It doesn't require any plug-ins on the student's side
  2. You can edit the slideshow in Google Docs and re-publish it
  3. The same slideshow can be used in multiple courses (without having to re-upload it)
  4. Users can't re-distribute the file (this may also be a drawback, depending on how you want to use itsmile
Drawbacks:
  1. Google Presentations doesn't convert any PowerPoint animations
  2. Probably more drawbacks I haven't thought of yet....smile.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Art Lader -

I am so glad that you have started a blog, Michael. For me, it will has already become a "must-read." I look forward to whatever bits of wisdom I can glean from future posts.

-- Art

回复: Re: powerpoint

by Claire Fu -

Hi Marcy,

Here is a step-by-step tutorial of convert PowerPoint presentations to Flash file with animations and transitions and then upload to Moodle.

As you know, with Flash format, your students do not need to use the PowerPoint viewer to view it. Just use the IE browser to open it. No need to care about the compatibility of Windows and Mac.

Hope it helps!

Claire

by alexis alexander -

Here is a puzzle. I am teaching a class on hybrids and showing the students how to use Google Presentation. I want them to embed their presentations in the Forum, but when they try to paste in the embed code, although the presentation shows up in the HTML editor, after saving the presentation disapears.

Why is this? Can it be fixed so that students can post their Google presentations?

I also tried posting the embed code myself and had the same thing happen.