Giving scores for forum posts

Giving scores for forum posts

by alexis alexander -
Number of replies: 2

Here is a problems with the gradebook.

I want to both rate forum posts and give credit (or really keep track of) number of posts. For example, students can earn up to 50 points for one post. They are required to post at least three times in each forum. They can post more if they like, but they cannot get more than 150 points.

I can't figure out how to keep track of the number of posts, give students their 150 points and have it all work out in the grade book. My class has a total or 7 forums. Do I need to know algebra? This sounds like a nightmare word problem. Or maybe I am just over thinking it? Can someone help?

In reply to alexis alexander

Re: Giving scores for forum posts

by Mark Drechsler -
Hi Alexis,

To be honest, it sounds like you're pushing uphill a bit trying to do this with a forum activity, for the following reasons:

• YES, you can allow multiple posts,
  • YES, you can use a summation of marks to display in the Gradebook,
  • YES, you can set each post to be worth a maximum of 50 points,
  • BUT then you start to hit up against the problem of the summation of marks blowing out the total to more than the maximum individual mark (and to be honest I'm struggling to see how anyone could use the summation of marks without this happening).

Without doing some tweaking you can't set the max mark in the activity itself to be more than 100, so maybe try the following:
  1. Set the 'grade' setting in the forum to 75
  2. Set the 'aggregate type' to 'sum of ratings'
  3. Mark each post out of 25
  4. Bingo - you've got a summed total which truncates at 75
  5. In the Gradebook, use a multiplier of 2 for that gradebook item (assuming you are using Moodle v1.9.x) which will then translate it to 150.

Clunky, but it should work I think...

Note that this won't 'guarantee' that students will make three posts, if you want to do that then you might be better off considering a Database activity, where you can set more things like that than in a forum.

Hope this helps,

Mark.

Mark Drechsler
NetSpot Pty Ltd
Australian Moodle Partner

In reply to Mark Drechsler

Re: Giving scores for forum posts

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Mark - Thanks for the spot on reply. In addition, Alexis may be interested in MDL-15851 which allows her to view all the posts by a particular user. Peace - Anthony