New language font for Moodle help please

New language font for Moodle help please

by Simon Ross -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

I am creating online language courses for the Ktunaxa Nation, which is an isolate First Nations language in British Columbia. I would like to be able to develop this course with the appropriate First Nation Font. The font can be located and uploaded from www.languagegeek.com but how do I load it into Moodle so I can write curriculum with this font? Any Suggestions or guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Ross

Re: New language font for Moodle help please

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
As I understood from the website, the font is UTF8. That is necessary.

You can ask your browser to load the page with that font by changing the theme.
See http://docs.moodle.org/en/Theme_basics and http://docs.moodle.org/en/CSS_styles_fonts.css
You can replace the fonts for body, table, td, th, li to your font.

Off course, the computer used to look at the page will need to have the font installed, so this is only recommended for languages that are not included in a very large (in the sense of containing a lot of characters) font, like Arial or Verdana. I suggest to provide a downloadlink on the start page of the site.
In reply to Simon Ross

by Frans Drie -
Hi,

I have a kind of the same problem here with the Mon language,
The Mon font has been used at the basis of the Burmese language, so I can use the myanmar2.ttf font and the Keyman visual keyboard to type it. As a language directory name I now use the mj_utf8 description as there is at this moment no good Iso 639-2 code and Moodle doesn't use three letters but two for the directory names. (I like to see this change to the the Iso639-3 language codes with the utf8 extension like mnw_utf8 with the Mon language)

With the help of the Keyman software I now can type the Burmese font in Word and Open Office, but I can't vind a way to display the font. I renamed it as default.ttf and placed it in the fonts subdirectory of mj_utf8 without succes. This is my first non roman font I use with moodle, but please help me as I will need to do this a couple of more times with fonts and languages.

Frans,

Admin of asianminorities.net, a site where people of the Asian tribes will be able to learn to write their native language. (most of the time they will have to learn the language of the country event hough there can be millions of these tribes)

Btw Simon, Did you also had a look at Nikamo which is used to teach the children of the Cree to teach their language? Succes!
In reply to Frans Drie

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Frans,
Moodle can use 3 characters, try it (e.g. fil_utf8 uses 3 characters).

The fonts directory has as only purpose to give a home for fonts if Moodle has to generate text on a graph, e.g. in a survey. The display of the texts in Moodle is done client side by the browser.
You set the preferred font via the Moodle theme, as described in my previous post, but the computer of the client needs to have that font installed on it. You can't install it through a web application like Moodle.

It's great to see Moodle being used to maintain the use of languages with a very small number of speakers, but you will have to make your users install the right fonts, since there is, as far as I know, no general UTF8 font that contains all existing UTF8 characters.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)