Subject of emailed forum posting

Subject of emailed forum posting

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Number of replies: 5
I wonder if it is possible to change the way the subject line of emailed forum posts are generated. I would prefer to have the course code (Short Name), the forum name, and then topic of the post.

As it is I find it difficult to find the forum postings in my local moodle inbox. This will also allow a person to filter messages into different folders for different forums.

TIA
Riaan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

Re: Subject of emailed forum posting

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Probably a good suggestion, though the subject lines might get a bit long sometimes ...

Anyone object?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -
Sounds like a good idea to me. smile

-- Art
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Perhaps there is some clever way of shortening the Forum names.
Examples of some of my forums:
Structure of Networks, Networking Fundamentals, Static vs Dynamic IP addressing, Understanding how DNS and name resolution works.

Now, I realise that these are pretty long names (and I chose some of the shorter ones smile) Perhaps we/I can use the Forum ID as it is in the sql DB to identify the forum, (or maybe Martin or someone else can explain to me how I can hack it so that I can use the forumid for my installation). Or I should think of better Forum names mixed

The courses I am 'moodle-izing" are fairly technical and are aimed at technical people so I am sure that a number to differentiate the forums would not be a big problem.
Just a thought ...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, that would be easy but numbers would not be generally applicable for most sites.

You can hack your site in the forum_cron() function in mod/forum/lib.php

by Hans de Zwart -
I think that your idea is great! No objections from my part. The only things that may be sensible is to make this admin configurable. Just a default setting with the options of making your own subject line with the existing variables. Would that be easy or too difficult?