Is this Your First Time Here?

Is this Your First Time Here?

by John Walsh -
Number of replies: 28

Any idea what to edit to get change this?

It doesn't look like it can be altered via Themes.

If I'm missing something please let me know.

I've googled this and checked the forums but I haven't found any solutions.

Thanks

John Walsh

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Walsh

Re: Is this Your First Time Here?

by Dan Humpherson -
Do you mean the login screen text on the right hand side?

It can be styled using CSS and Themes but the text is changed by editing:

Users --> Authentication

Scroll down the page a little and you will find: Common settings

Add text to the Instructions text box and this will appear on the login screen.
In reply to Dan Humpherson

by John Walsh -

Thank you Dan!
I do have a follow up question because I'm still new at this.
I don't want to style it, I want to remove the Text "Is this Your First Time Here" from the page and replace it with graphics and logos.

Would this be done by editing the CSS or Theme or another way?

My html is decent so that shouldn't be so hard.

Thank you!

John Walsh

In reply to John Walsh

by Dan Humpherson -
1st Option

Ok, I've hacked something together which may do what you want to do.

Firstly, login to Moodle and put a single character into the custom 'Is this Your First Time Here?' message box. I used a '-' as its small and I can easily hide it, basically this will override Moodle's default text.

Now in the style_layout.css file add the following:

.loginbox .signuppanel h2 {
position: absolute;
top: -50000px;
}

The css takes the heading "Is this Your First Time Here?" and positions it off screen. Effectively it has now been removed from the screen.

Next...

Add these lines to style_layout.css:

.loginbox .signuppanel .subcontent P{
background: url('login.gif');
background-repeat: no-repeat;
height: 160px;
margin-left: 15%;
color: #fff;
}

background: url('login.gif'); = This is the location of my logo image

background-repeat: no-repeat; = I want the image to appear once

height: 160px; = The height of my logo image

margin-left: 15%; = This gets it centred depending on the width of your image

color: #fff; = Because the background of my image is white i set the "-" character I added to match the background effectivly it has disappeared.

What do you think?

Attachment login.jpg

by Dan Humpherson -
2nd option

Apologies don't think I read your post correctly first time, here is an alternative solution which is less of a hack:

Leave the Moodle " Is this Your First Time Here?" text as it is, or change ti where required and then edit styles_layout.css

Add this:

.loginbox.twocolumns .signuppanel h2 {
height: 100px;
background: url('logo.gif');
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

height = Height of image
color = Change color to white to make it blend into background
background: url = location of image
background-repeat = only want the logo once

Result leaves text in place but creates the illusion of it disappearing, "Is this Your First Time Here?" is a H2 tag and we just add a background to it.

Attachment login.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by John Walsh -
That looks exactly perfect!
I can't wait to try it out!
Thank you so much!

by John Walsh -

Hi Dan H,

Thanks for the advice I think I'm learning quickly.  Ultimately what I'd like is a series of images (3-5) that when clicked link to a deeper part of the site.

Would this be right to edit the styles_layout.css?

.loginbox.twocolumns .signuppanel h2 {
image1: url('image1.gif') <href="...">

image2: url('image2.gif') <href="...">

image3: url('image3.gif') <href="...">

Thanks,
John

by Maria Steinschweiger -

Hi Dan,

Thank for your advice I have used it and it works fine!

Is there a way to " remove "  new account button which remain in your example or have I done something wrong?

Adriaan

In reply to Maria Steinschweiger

by Dan Humpherson -
You need to remove the "email based self registration" authentication method, or add your own custom test in that box under the authentication settings in the admin block.

by Maria Steinschweiger -

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes I have done what you suggest, however performing this action leads to nonperforming of http://www.mydomain.com/login/signup.php?

First students have to pay before the can enrol. After payment has been carried out the student will be in the check-out proces of the order re-routed to http://www.mydomain.com/login/signup.php?

If the new account button is still there they (or anyone else) can enrol without paying. Therefore to my (novice) opinion the button has to be removed (or invisable) in order to enable the operation of the signup link.

Adriaan

In reply to John Walsh

by Marie Norman -

Hi, I was reading your response, and this is exactly what I would like to do! I would like to have a picture (my logo) on the right of the login box and have some text below it.

I would be happy to replace the words "is this your first time here" with a Welcome to message so that it is in bold and centred.

I do not know where to find the style-layout.css file, or how to put the little character into the top of the "is this your first time here" box.

I am very new to Moodle, so I would be very grateful for 'moodle for dummies' instruction.

Many thanks

Marie

by fabiana di domenico -

Hi Dan,

I need to change the layout of my login page.
Now in the center of the page there is a box divided in two part with the same width. I need to enlarge the right side because my text is very long, so I could have something like 40% width on letf and 60% width on rigth .

Can I do it only modifing my theme's css? How?

Thank you very much for help,

Fab

In reply to John Walsh

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thanks to both John and Dan for this thread. I wanted to see the "Is this your first time here" box in a new install and it was missing. Prior to reading this post, I looked in user>authentication and then scanned all the sublinks. Go to "manage authentication and SCROLL DOWN" (ie do not merely look at the top of the page) was a big help.

When I looked, I saw that in at least the 1.9.9 version of Moodle, the html tool bar has been added to this field. Thus you can add a logo that way, or embed a link behind an image.

Not sure this will resize the box, so thanks for the CSS tips Dan.

For those making a transition from 1.5, be advised that "Is this your..." used to be a language string in moodle.php and it no longer works smile

Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Tom the Teacher -
As Chris stated above, in 1.9.9 you have the option of using inserting images via the HTML tool bar but unfortunately in 2.0 we have TinyMCE with NO option of adding images, only text. I'm not sure why this is the case as in other parts of moodle 2.0 you can freely upload images and files via the filepicker. I found this to be true in a couple other pages as well. This is very disappointing as there is clearly a desire to have this option to show logos or other images. I also found it disappointing that there is no way I know of to input asian characters here as well. I'm not sure what can be done but I would love to be able to upload an image on this page. If someone can tell me how to do this in 2.0 it would be greatly appreciated. These instruction above sound wonderful but I haven't been able to make them work for 2.0.

Please help.
In reply to Tom the Teacher

Inserting images on Moodle 2, wasRe: Is this Your First Time Here?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Tom,

I just checked on the Moodle Features Demo site and tried it out and it seems we should be able to insert images in TinyMCE see below - but I got an error message when I tried to display.

Have to wait for the programmers to fix it. wink

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment 2010-09-13_19.39.33.png
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Inserting images on Moodle 2, wasRe: Is this Your First Time Here?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Tom -you say you are using Moodle 2.0. Which page in Moodle 2 can you not upload images in when using the TinyMCE editor?
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Inserting images on Moodle 2, Re: Is this Your First Time Here?

by Tom the Teacher -
Thank you Glenys and Mary for your quick replies. I've put in a lot of time trying to figure this one out, so I'm going to include some information that may help the programmers or anyone that knows how to fix the issues.

First, the page I am trying to see the final result in is the "login page", typically recognized by "Is this your first time here?".

To be clear, I am logged into Moodle 2.0 as a Manager/Admin.

In terms of the the page where I am finding the error, I am here: Site Administration - Plugins - Authentications - Manage Authentications - Scroll down to Common Settings - Instructions (TinyMCE).

A couple notes here:
1. I cannot attach any form of attachment as the filepicker is not available to give me this option (see picture attachment).

2. I know this is another issue but it's worth mentioning. I cannot insert Chinese characters into the text field of TinyMCE and publish. Debugging informs me there are several errors if I try and do so. English (UT8) publishes without any problem.

3. Normally, at the bottom of any TinyMCE box throughout the site, there is a small dropdown box that has "HTML" inside it. It is the only dropdown option in this box. It is missing in the TinyMCE on this page (see picture attachment.

4. TinyMCE has only worked for me when I use Google Chrome and Firefox. In areas of the site where TinyMCE works fine, such as uploading a course file or video, IE and Opera will display a JSON error.

5. I have found these problems exist in both the Windows and Linux versions of Moodle 2.0, current daily release.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Maybe this thread needs to be passed on to someone but I have no idea how to do that. I'm new to this only 2 weeks. I'm very happy to help the community with issues, I just don't know what the next step should be. Also, I apologize if the the issued I raised do not belong in this thread.

Thank you kindly,
Tom

Attachment login.PNG

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Tom you would be better using something like a WAMP Server or a LAMP Server, and connect to Moodle via CVS this ensures a more up-to-date version.
In reply to Mary Evans

by Tom the Teacher -
Thanks Mary. I currently run a WAMP..well XAMPP with Moodle. I update every few days when I'm not busy building but yes, CVS looks like the way to go, I just never figured it out ...yet smile

My production site is hosted using Linux and hopefully will we up soon. I'm just doing local work first to test, learn, and assemble materials for lessons.

I hope they can fix this issue soon. I really appreciate the tip.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Tom,

CVS is a doddle, Just follow the instructions for CVS for Administrators (you will need to download a little bit of software called Tortoise which is simple enough to do. Then you use this to login to Moodle and download the main Moodle folder which you can then place inside your XAMPP server. To update this folder you only have to right click it and select Update CVS from the pop-up menu. easy-peasy! If I figured it out I am sure you can. Also the latest update of yesterday, I also had to activate a PHP extension called "inti" apparently something to do with languages.

Also the problem you are having with Tiny Editor is not as problematic as you imagine. Sure the File picker is not there but that doesn't stop you from adding an image if you know what the URL associated with it is. If you know some HTML & CSS enough to add an image and style it, the jobs a good-un! If you have an image you want to use, upload it first to site files. I made a folder for mine so I know which are which. Then in the Login page you want to customise, just click on add image icon and put in the url of the image you just loaded, it will show up in the Editor page so that you can resize it (better using Firefox for this as it gives you dimensions as you 'drag-it diagonally' to re-size so you can keep to the proper height:width ratio).

This will enable you to do what you want, at least, without having to wait for the developers to fix the problem.

Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Tom the Teacher -
Mary, thank you, thank you!

I've been busy working on your suggested methods and I have a couple more questions.

First, I have the CVS going great, so thanks for the explanation of quick and easy setup.

As for the second part, I am a bit familiar with CSS and HTML now but I guess I'm a bit confused about this new file structure. When you say you upload your images to a folder you have made, where exactly to you place this folder? At first I thought it was in moodledata but I see nothing in there of any of the items I have uploaded so far. Ideally, I'd like to organize all my uploads into an uploads folder with subfolders, as you have done, but I'm not sure where I should create ite. Should it be in the root, inside moodledata or inside moodle itself? Maybe I'm totally off and it's none of the above smile

Second, you mention that I should "just click and add image icon and put in the url of the image just loaded." This is a bit confusing to me as I have mentioned above, in this very particular page (login - where it reads "Is this your first time here", TinyMCE gives no ability to click and select any image. I'm not sure how to select the image I uploaded. I was thinking that maybe I can just upload a CSS file to a directory and then edit the text via the HTML button in TinyMCE and add in HTML that points the CSS, images etc, but again I'm not sure how to set up the CSS and HTML yet as I'm not sure where the location of the image folder should be. Could you please simplify this for me? Hope this isn't too confusing...sorry

Thanks so much for all the help.
Tom

by Mary Evans -
Sorry Tom I am confusing you. Although I have done this in Moodle 2.0 I was in fact referring to the method of uploading site files in Site Administration in Moodle 1.9. Of course this option is not available in Moodle 2.0. That's what comes with working on 2 systems side by side!

OK I'll try and explain how I got to do this...see uploaded image of a new theme I'm designing for Moodle 2.0. I'll write up some easy instructions for you, and upload it later...hope this is OK?

Attachment screenshot.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

by Tom the Teacher -
Great! thanks. I did figure out how to get the image in. I created a directory inside moodle to hold all my files and simply linked to the file as you mentioned.

Now the CSS part is a bit trickier. Really all i need is to center the image. I've wondered however if a background color is possible.

Also, I want to remove the "Is this your first time here" as this is already in the image. I think there is a topic on it..I'll have to look around.

Thank you very much!

by Mary Evans -
Sorry Tom...I've been away and didn't get back to you as promised! But since you have figured it out..

The only thing left then is that bit of text...and how to get rid of it....right?

OK...this CSS code should fix it...

.signuppanel h2 { display: none}

this will hide the <h2> </h2> tag from being displayed.
The h2 tag is the tag enclosing that sentence.

Hope this helps?

Cheers
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Tom the Teacher -
Just wanted to add something back on this. In moodle 2.0, the fline Mary so kindly provided: .signuppanel h2 { display: none} is found in the theme folder of your moodle directory. From there, simply select the theme you are currently using and find the core.css file. Open and add the line mentioned to this file and save. Presto... "Is this your first time here?" is gone! For me it was necessary as our site is a in chinese and we used .png files to convey our signup message, thus this text was repetitive. Thanks again Mary.

by Mary Evans -

Thanks for that Tom.

I should have mentioned the bit about adding this line to your theme's CSS file. So thanks for that too Tom. Glad it worked for you.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Joel Solon Farias de Azevedo -

Sorry Mary,

how I fix it on Moodlebook theme (based on DECAF)?

What the place to insert the code?

.signuppanel h2 { display: none}

Thanks

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mathew Varghese -

Hello All,

Can anyone teach me how to show the login screen on the right side and the welcome message on the left side ?

Thanks,

Mathew