Windows server: New Windows 2008 X64 server

Windows server: New Windows 2008 X64 server

by Mike Grew -
Number of replies: 10
Hi all, I've just purchased a new Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition x64 server and need to set Moodle up on it. We're a tiny college and are just starting to build our infrastructure.

I have downloaded Chris's word doc with some info in it as well as Matthias Wachs's white paper but I'm still lacking some of the info I need. So I have a few Q's that I hope some of you can help with.

1. Can I use MS SQL Server 2005 dev edition permanently or will it disallow me to do that or limit features to make that impossible?
1.1 Am I better off just using the open source MySQL?

2. Should I install the x64 version of PHP? It doesn't look as though it's been updated for a while, and there's going to be limited support for it. Can I just use PHP 32 bit on Windows Server 2008 X64?

3. Has anybody used IIS7 for Moodle as yet? Any problems? Different method to set up Moodle?

Thanks folks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Grew

Re: Windows server: New Windows 2008 X64 server

by Richard Enison -
MG,

On the basis of what I have read in this forum and elsewhere, I can answer some of your questions.

1. I'm not sure what you mean by "it" in "will it disallow me". Moodle? Windows? SQL Server? The computer chip? Anyway, MS SQL Server 2005 is definitely supported by Moodle. Whether there is something different about the dev edition, or an x64 system, I don't know. But problems getting SQL Server, PHP, and web servers to get along keep coming up in these forums, which is why I answer the next question this way:
1.1. Yes.

3. Yes. The only thing different about it that I am aware of is the way settings are done in IIS 7. It uses configuration text files, more like Apache, instead of dialog boxes and menus. See http://blogs.msdn.com/dotnetinterop/archive/2007/02/06/php-on-vista-with-iis7.aspx

RLE
In reply to Mike Grew

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Mike,

Hi. Do you NEED to run PHP as 64 bit? How much will you gain from running it as 64 bit vs 32 bit, especially since you're a "small operation"? Sometimes the latest technology isn't always the best.

But at the same time, if you've got a fast car, you might aswell take full advantage of it! The only potential problem is that you're driving on new 64 bit roads and this is new territory for Moodle. So, the most important thing to do if you go the 64 bit route is to do LOTS of testing.

I believe the only difference between the SQL Server 2005 DEV edition and the ENTERPRISE edition is the license - You're not allowed to use the DEV edition for production purposes, so you could have a legal problem running your production database on it - it's meant for developers on development environments. You should check the license agreement wioth Microsoft (I could be wrong...)

I think the biggest thing you need to think about when you choose between MSSQL and MySQL is the support issue. Does your college have the skills to support MySQL? Which one are you more familiar with?

If you don't know MySQL then you have to decide whether you are prepared to quickly learn MySQL and are comfortable with all the risks that are associated with not being an 'expert' in it or if your college will be better off paying for the MSSQL license.

I haven't tried installing Moodle on Windows Server 2008 or IIS7, but it shouldn't be too different to installing it on Windows Server 2003 and IIS6. Apparently the biggest changes in IIS7 are aimed at .Net developers. There is apparently a "Classic mode" in IIS7 which functions just like IIS6. So the instructions there should also be similar - the main difference in IIS7 is apparently that all the configuration settings are now stored in XML files so you don't have to fiddle with settings in the IIS Manager to create your site.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
installing in IIS 7 is actually slightly different as you use Fastcgi (which you can now use in IIS 6 as well)

there's a great article here:
http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2006/10/31/PHP-on-IIS.aspx

smile

Dan
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Thanks Dan. Interesting reading...

Which is better for Moodle: FastCGI or ISAPI?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Thanks Dan,

Just to clear things up for my small little brain (and anybody else who reads this thread):

Can you still run PHP as ISAPI on IIS 7, or do you have to use FastCGI on IIS 7?
(I'm not implying that there's anything wrong with FastCGI, in fact, I've given into temptation and will be installing it on my dev box! I just want clarity...)

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
just saw this again...

IIS 7 is very cool! - I like a lot of the changes they've made!

afaik php/isapi/iis 7 is still a bit unreliable due to some of the extensions not supporting multi-threading properly.

I found some massive improvements running fastcgi. I don't see any reason that you wouldn't run it! - you do need to be careful with timeout values though!

smile

Dan
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Leo Dano -
I've got the same set up. 2008, IIS7. I chooese mysql in the install.php and input all the info and it thinks about it, then goes to a blank page. any suggestions?
In reply to Leo Dano

by Yves Roy -
Dear Leo,

did you try to install Moodle from a "localhost" address ? If the answer is "yes", the problem is not IIS related but is a known limitation under Vista (or W2K8) of the PHP url_fopen mecanism (open a local file with its URL in place of its OS full name). You should try to connect to "127.0.0.1" instead.

Yves
In reply to Mike Grew

by Rajesh Kumar -

Yes I have tested moodle on IIS7, we are also setting up moodle for our school. The program has successfully been instaled and seems to work properly on Windows server 2008 enterprise edition R2 64 bit.

use The Microsoft Web Platform Installer (Web PI) tool to do every thing automatically select moodle in applications and mySQL.

I have tested it on localhost