Instructor Showcase Role? View student data? Don't view student data?

Instructor Showcase Role? View student data? Don't view student data?

by Mary Parke -
Number of replies: 3
Hi there!

I'm trying to figure out how to create a role that we could use to show-off courses to other faculty. We would use this in training and to demonstrate courses to faculty curious about Moodle - so that instructors could preview existing faculty courses - but only those courses they've been given permission to view. I would want faculty to be able to add other instructors to this role in their course. I know there is the "non-editing teacher" role, is this the role I'd want? Hmmm...seems like I'm asking for two things though, and the non-editing instructor role wasn't quite what I had in mind.

I really am looking for a way to "show off" faculty courses to other faculty members. Has anyone figured out how to do this? I'm wondering if there's a way to do this so that Student Information is still kept private - so that the "previewing" faculty don't have access to all the user data in the course. This might be a separate role though - for visiting faculty and not faculty at our institution per se.

I'm thinking out-loud here and looking for any ideas.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

- Mary
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Parke

Re: Instructor Showcase Role? View student data? Don't view student data?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mary,

The simplest way of enabling users to view a course without giving them access to student profiles is to enable guest access to the course. Access can be restricted with an enrolment key. Please see the guest role documentation for further details.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
...only the guest role will not prevent the holder seeing (say) student's forum posts. I do this a lot, and I copied the non-editing teacher role and then disabled all the (remaining) capabilities that pertained to viewing student material.

I would recommend always taking a copy - don't modify the "standard" roles. I generally keep guest logins turned off too as it strips a layer of security from your site.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Parke -

Thank you Helen.  That makes sense.

Hmmm...I'm reading on to Howard's points...and it's true - allowing guest access does present some security issues but then thinking on the issue of an enrollment key might handle that....and I think I will test out copying the guest role or the non-editing teacher role and changing permissions to see if it achieves my goal...thank you!

Just thinking out loud here....

I guess I was thinking on a greater scale without a lot of instructor intervention - meaning, if there was such a role that allowed instructors in their course to assign other instructors to it that just showed off the initial instructors course content and structure, that would be awesome.  Setting up an enrollment key presents problems because some instructors may actually be using that enrollment key for students, and it would require an extra step - of managing which course has which enrollment key (because they couldn't all be the same)....

I guess I was brainstorming along the lines of an inspector role - but the inspector only being allowed to view the courses they are assigned to (and this can be voluntarily done by individual faculty)....hmmm....not sure if this is making sense yet....

I'll keep plugging away and post if I figure it out!

I did come up with another role, successfully, that allowed a student worker access only to the site calendar so they could key in the academic year calendar dates.  Is there a place to contribute roles and permission settings to - is it in the forums or is it elsewhere?

Many thanks to both you, Helen, and Howard.

- Mary