Moodle Chat is Horrible.. is there an alternative?!

Moodle Chat is Horrible.. is there an alternative?!

by Julie Carothers -
Number of replies: 15
Is anyone using something else in place of chat? If so please share any info you have. thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julie Carothers

Re: Moodle Chat is Horrible.. is there an alternative?!

by Debora Weber-Wulff -
*All* chats in LMS are horrible, because the developers think this is just a fine, easy way to "communicate" and this is an exercise they did in CS 201 smile

I don't know of any good integrations in Moodle, I sometimes just use Skype or IRC. But I have gotten rather good at using the Moodle chat:

* Open the chat in a separate tab - and never browse away from the base page, the one you called the chat from. This confuses Moodle.

* Keep the browser as large as possible so the nasty scroll-ups
are kept to a minimum.

* Discipline the people: no me-toos! No off-topic side discussions. Stay focussed on the topic.

* I type up the questions I want to ask before class - with a simple copy & paste I look like a champ at typing, and have everything spell-checked.

* I alway have the protocoll enabled so that people with browser problems can at least read what was discussed.

At least following links works, and the pictures are nice. Since we upgraded to 1.8.4 we have the problem of Moodle logging people out in the middle of working, so they type but are actually out of the chat...

by Marc Grober -
First off, I should mention that as you are on DH you are not using chat in daemon mode, which is a non-starter (though granted even with daemon mode chat is a dog)

I set up students with a jabber account on DH. This approach is not integrated into moodle and is at present manually intensive ( I am sure there is a way to bulk create jabber accounts, but I just have never taken the time to figure it out....), but it works well, works with virtually all IM clients, etc. In fact there may be a way to set jabber IDs via bulk user upload since there are table entries that could arguably be used for this that already exist

Another option is to set up a google domain, use the google domain to authenticate into Moodle and use google talk (though I don't know if google has staighten out the conference room issues they were having yet.)
In reply to Marc Grober

by Julie Carothers -

marc-

I am interested in the last option you suggested... google domain and use google talk. I think i will give it a go. I'll let you know how it works.

-J

by Azhar ul Islam Qureshi -

Hi,

You can always use third-party plugins with moodle. The best place to find them is http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?id=6009 just find the plugin of your choice, install it and enjoy. For a more refined and drilled-down query just click on http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&perpage=10&search=chat&sort=44&order=ASC&advanced=0&f_44=&f_45=&f_46=0&f_47=&f_48=&f_49=&f_51=&f_96=&f_97=&f_98=0&f_99=0&f_100=&f_101=&f_195=&f_213=&f_214=&f_215=&f_216=&u_fn=&u_ln=

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Saying Moodle Chat is horrible is fairly close to meaningless. Horrible compared to what?, MSN, Yahoo , Gmail web chat. If you can be more specific the responses can be more meaningful.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Julie Carothers -

It's slow. Very slow, which causes users to get confused and conversation is out of order and hard to follow.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Assuming the reference in previous posts to DH are Dream Host then I strongly suspect the issue is the limitations on the shared hosting of your ISP. Such accounts are generaly configured on the assumption of delivering discreet web pages rather than sustaining a constant refresh. Also you would get far better performance from configuration as a daemon but that would require a different type of hosting account.

I used to use the moodle.org chat regularly a couple of years ago and I did not experience performance problems.

Gmail chat is very nice in that it can be done via plain HTML (and of course Google has very nice chunky servers), but you would not get the control and centralised logging you would get from a system under your own control. And of course it would be nice if the system you used was integrated with everything else.
In reply to Marcus Green

Jabber+Presence to replace Chat with Dreamhost jabber integration

by Marc Grober -
Chat on DH "works" for 2 or 3 persons. DH can support quicker responses if you put chat in daemon mode, but on DH that requires a recompile of php as the default compile includes neither sockets nor xmlrpc and chat apparently does not make use of PEAR. Recompiling does not require a different kind of account.

However, my experiments suggest that there is no way moodle chat, even in daemon mode with lots of cpu time can compete with what we have come to expect out of IM. DH offers free jabber and as I mentioned, Jabber using DH is VERY snappy.

I create jabber classrooms and while we regularly experience issues with joining the confroom because of the various diffs in clients, it works well and provides transcripts, etc.

I have looked at MSG/WIldfire but that iincludes a complete messaging server and may be overkill when you already have free access to jabber as with DH

However, you might want to look at Jabber+Presence Server here:
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1037
This is maintained by Eloy so it is likely you can get help with it and that it is relatively current ;=}

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to this as it is a ways down on my todo list
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: Jabber+Presence to replace Chat with Dreamhost jabber integration

by Marcus Green -
Julie, its worth being aware that Jabber is the protocol that Google use so it is a mainstream technology with a good deal of support. (Sorry if I am telling grandma how to suck eggs here).

Free access to jabber sounds like a very nice option, though there may still be an issue of integrating it with Moodle.

by Carlos Alexandre Fonseca -
Picture of Plugin developers
I think a flash chat client could be better then that wbe-chat

i see some web-chat server, that could be integraded with moodle
like dimdim, and 123flashchat

The 123flashchat i think thats be easy to integrade, for small chats groups could be a solution
Dimdim, i don´t know if is easy to integrade.

But all it´s a third party product, it´s be better if moodle offer a better support for that
In reply to Carlos Alexandre Fonseca

by Marcus Green -
One of the issues with discussion performance is to work out where is the bottleneck. Moodle chat is slow if you run the non daemon version but very nice indeed if you run the daaemon(ised) version.

To get performance from chat based on other technologies you will probably need the level of access required for the PHP/daemon approach so it might be worth looking more closely at that version of the Moodle chat. Plus it is already integrated with Moodle. By contrast those alternatives are external to Moodle.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Matthew Ivaliotes -
Even using the daemon, we get chronic and repeated disconnects for users when we have more than 8 or 9 in a chat at a time. So far, no matter what troubleshooting we've attempted, moodle chat is far too unreliable to be even borderline usable. I'm glad to read about the alternatives posted here. Thanks.

by Sandy Warner -

I am a newbie with one click Dream Host installation.  My chatroom screen is blank and so I am going to use my main website chat room, which is the most awesome, simple and very lovely and cool chatroom I have seen.  it is only $5.00.  You wont believe how many amazing things people can do to their personal chat space.  It is so lovely an environment and it has all the Admin prefs for setting up a very safe room(s).

http://www.tufat.com/s_flash_chat_chatroom.htm

Within Moodle, all you have to do is wherever you want your outside chat room to show up, simply Add a Resource of either composing a webpage or a link, and when you do, have it open its own screen so that when they are done chatting they are still with your Moodle.

I have mine set up so that the webpage is simply a nice looking graphic that links to the outside chatroom.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Ang: Moodle Chat is Horrible.. is there an alternative?!

by Anders Both -

Hello Julie, and others.

I am developing a commercial web-based chat system, and would like to make integration with Moodle.

The system is fast, stable, and works on almost any platform.

If you or someone else still have problems, you are welcome to contact me. You can off cause use my solution for free. More info and demo chat-room on http://www.basechat.com .

Best regards

Anders Both, Denmark.

anbo@basechat.com , tlf +4541411001