change of site name

Picture of Gopan K
change of site name

what should i do to change the name of my moodle website

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Mauno Korpelainen
Re: change of site name
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you mean Full site name and Short site name (top left corner of moodle) go to

Administration -> Front Page -> Front Page settings

make changes and Save changes.

If you mean the web address change paths in config.php according to the new web address and use admin/replace.php to change the addresses in database.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Gopan K

thanks buddy

somehow i missed it , thanks once again

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Sudhakar Dayal

Thanks a lot.  Great piece of information.

Picture of Adam Scarboro

So since this thread was already necro bumped and it was the one that came up on my search I continue on with it.  Is the information in this thread still valid?   I created a new dev moodle site from a copy of our production moodledata/database but it has a different name url.  In the 2.8.2+ version of the code I don't see a replace.php among any of the files under admin, admin/cli, or anywhere on the system for that matter.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Please see the documentation Search and replace tool You won't find it in Moodle because it is "use at your own risk".

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I've used it loads without issue but - yes - a database backup is mandatory. All you need to do is to type the wrong thing in the boxes... wink

Picture of Usman Asar
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I still wonder why this tool isn't directly linked inside Moodle, but I must admit, awesome tool, as I have used it at time, not just to replace the URL, but many other things as well (like manual paths to a file on server), what it basically does it look out for string values in the database, and replace it with new values. just like you are using a find and replace tool in any word processor, but, there is no UNDO tool available, therefore making a backup copy of database is STRICTLY RECOMMENDED.

I wish, it had options to check, to look within specific area of database, for example within MOD area of Moodle, as mainly it is the section of database which is manually typed.