DVD Region

DVD Region

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 3
Hello, Fellow Moodlers,

I bought a few DVDs while in Germany. I knew there could be some issues with DVD regions, and, indeed, there are.

I seem to be able to find various ways to reset the DVD regions, but they all seem suspicous to me. (See the attached screenshot.) I want to do this, but there must be a right way and a wrong way.

The solution does not have to be open source or free (although that would be peachy). But I really want it to be safe and legal.

I want to unlock both my PC and my Mac.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-- Art
Attachment dvdregion.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: DVD Region -- solution found?

by Art Lader -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: DVD Region -- solution found?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The business with DVD regions is about marketing rather than legal issues. It allows the "content distributors" to divide the world into regions and limit the ability of people to purchase internationally from the lowest cost source. Thus in the US DVD's are cheaper than in the UK, but by using the region system they protect the UK distributors from users buying from the US sources. In the book market the biggest competition for amazon.co.uk is amazon.com.

If you own the DVD player you are generally entitled to do what you want with it, including circumventing the region encoding. Here in the UK,  I recommend that people only by machines that have already been set to use any region DVD's. Sometimes you can get the same model at two different prices, the "fixed" one that can play any region DVD's have a very slight additional cost.