Suppressing marks until a set date

Suppressing marks until a set date

by Bryan Dawson -
Number of replies: 10

We have academics using the Assignment activity in Moodle 1.9 to set, collect and mark coursework essays.  They are keen to use paperless marking, so want to use the gradebook to hold the class' marks and feedback comments.

However, for summative assignments, the marks should not be published until they have been moderated.  We can suppress the email notification in Moodle 1.9, but is there a way of putting an embargo on the marks until a given date, so students can't see their marks until after they are moderated?

Do we need formative and summative versions of Assignments, or a 'publish to students' flag in the gradebook?  How do other institutions get round this?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bryan Dawson

Re: Suppressing marks until a set date

by Matthew Ayling -
Hi Bryan,

We are currently evaluating the assignment module and one of the teachers questions is the same as yours.

Theirs came from the point of view that if they had 30 children's papers to mark and grade, they would take a few weeks to work through and it would be unfair for children to view their mark whilst another child might have to wait for theirs.

Although I cannot see where to suppress a set of assignment results until a required date, you can of course hide that particular assignment (using the show/ hide button) until you then manually show the assignment when you are ready.

It would be a great future feature to have the 'assignment results release date' feature at some point.

Regards,

Matthew
In reply to Bryan Dawson

by Steve Singlet -
I agree...a "publish to students" feature would be extremely valuable. Many instructors at my institution would like to store their comments/grades/feedback until they finish all of the grading.

Indeed, when grading assignments, I often change my mind about what constitutes a "good" answer after seeing several responses. If the assignment was turned in on paper, no problem...I simply re-grade the whole stack. In moodle, I'm committed to a response the instant I click the submit button.

Similarly, if it's going to take me several days to get through all of the submissions, some students get anxious when their peers have received feedback when they haven't.

Sorry if this feature is available and I'm blind to its presence.

Cheers,
SSinglet
In reply to Steve Singlet

by Markus Mostert -

Dear Steve & atw,

I was wondering about the possibility of simply hiding an assignment after all submissions have been received and then unhiding it once you've done all the marking. In hidden assignments, theoretically students should not be able to see the marks already entered while you're still busy marking. Will unhiding them then not have the same effect than "publish to students"?

My 2c

Markus

In reply to Bryan Dawson

by A. T. Wyatt -
Hi, all!

I think this is a great idea. I frequently grade difficult projects in excel and actually do a mail merge to return student feedback instead of using the moodle gradebook for this very reason. It would be wonderful to be able to hold both email and viewing capability until a large set of assignments is completely ready for release.

Please go to the tracker and vote for http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-15843

You will have to make a separate account in the tracker if you wish to vote, but it can be a duplicate of the one you use on moodle.org.

atw
In reply to Bryan Dawson

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi all

You can set a grade book item as hidden (in version 1.9) which KIND OF works well!!

Refer here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Grade_item_settings and to
the tracker item for this I've just created that has screen shots http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-15871

The issue I have is that this setting hides the grade item in the gradebook and on the assignment activity HOWEVER... students can still see the grade in the Assignment listing page (http://moodlesite/mod/assignment/index.php?id=xxx)

Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Teresa,

That looks like a bug to me. Fancy doing the honours in the Tracker?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Ray Lawrence -
Doh. Something wrong with my eyes, the tracker reference is in your post.