Multiple Submissions

Multiple Submissions

by D Maclean -
Number of replies: 7

There has been some discussion on this, but it is fairly tangential. Is it possible to get the Assignment module to support multiple submissions? In concept this would be more like a "Journal" (see the discussion "Death to Journal) in which students could "submit" work to teachers whenever and as often as they'd like to. I really think that this is a useful feature that Moodle lacks, because on the most abstract level it's an open communication channel between student and teacher (as opposed to the more structured "assignment", "survey" and "chat" channels).

I thought that this might have already been implemented under the guise of another module, but if it is, I can't find it. Either way, I think it would be a valuable addition to Moodle.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to D Maclean

Re: Multiple Submissions

by Matt Gibson -
Not as far as I know, but that could be a useful feature. I used a wiki for a while, where the students just added their latest bit of work at the top with a date, and then messaged me to say it was there. I then edited the wiki to provide comments.
In reply to Matt Gibson

by ben reynolds -
advanced uploading of files (v 1.9) allows up to 20 file submssions along with deletion of files by students.
In reply to D Maclean

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Might using the advanced upload assignment type help? I envision a student being able to upload multiple files to the teacher. If you are looking for something that is developing, I would suggest a Wiki. Peace - Anthony
In reply to D Maclean

by Sarah Barber -

I agree that it would be a valuable addition. I work in a college where students submit multiple drafts of assignments before a final mark is given. I have tried to get "advanced uploading of files" to do what we want it to but it's not great. While it does allow multiple submissions (as long as the student does not press the final submission button, and as long as the teacher writes a comment but does not physically grade the work until the final draft is handed in), it does not really allow for multiple responses from the teachers.

I am considering using one of the internal email modules so that students and s taff can discuss their work via Moodle, and then when it is finished they can just submit their final piece via the assignment module.

If anyone has any other ideas about this until this new and needed assignment module is created, please let me know.

In reply to D Maclean

by Marc Grober -
I have posted about the distinction between save and submit in this forum in the past with no response (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=98736 ) I have students who prefer to actually use the editor in assignment to edit their work.... and of course the only way to save their work (and we all know the motto about save frequently) is to click "Submit", and the assignment module knows no diff between save and submit.

Nor does the providing options for multiple submissions resolve the problem, at that just enables additional submissions....

I suppose I shouldn't ask anyone else to look at this if I don't look at this myself.... But I have to guess that it should be easy enough to add a flag (checkbox to submit on saving) and an if clause (if checkbox, then call the balance of the routine) though arguably it might be eloquent to have a more developed interface that provided a separate submit feature......
In reply to D Maclean

by Lorin Toews -
I'm looking for a variation on the Multiple Submission Dropbox concept. I'm not using the Moodle gradebook for recording marks, so all I need is a way for students to send me their files.

Our current practice is for students to send in their work as email attachments, but it would be much simpler if I could have Dropbox link somewhere in my course (as a block or an activity) where students could send me their work. As long as the file names were different, the new files would not replace the earlier submissions, and there would be no "Submit for Grading" button. And I definitely wouldn't want the "Assignment was already submitted for marking and can not be updated" message to appear when the student returns to the Dropbox to submit another file.

If I'm describing something that already exists I would appreciate help in tracking it down.

Lorin
In reply to D Maclean

by James Hayhurst -

We're working on something kindof like this. We (a development team from Anderson University) will be coding a tutoring module that will allow students to upload multiple questions (with or without questions) the tutors to grade and reply with helpful suggestions, and the student and professor and director and tutor to continue the discussion in a forum format, while allowing the professor to see the student, but neither see the tutor, etc...

It's not quite what you want (probably) but it could be very helpful.