Can someone explain scoring on multianswer questions?

Can someone explain scoring on multianswer questions?

by Lynn Hadfield -
Number of replies: 1
My first try at creating a lesson and I'm having trouble understanding how the 'score' is determined for multianswer multiple choice questions.

If I have 2 right answers (both have a score of 1) and 2 wrong answers and the student chooses one of the right answers, it will say
"Your score is 1 (out of 1). "

If the student chooses both right answers, it will say

If the student chooses 1 right and 1 wrong it will say

If the student chooses 1 right and 2 wrong it will say
"Your score is 0 (out of 1). "

If the student chooses 2 right and 1 wrong it will say

It looks like they get a mark by choosing ANY one correct answer unless they choose more wrong answers than right answers. Am i on the right track here?

What I would like is for them to get 2 marks for getting both correct answers (and perhaps a penalty for wrong) similar to the multiple choice questions in a quiz.

I'm using 1.8.3 with the lesson NOT in practice mode.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lynn Hadfield

Re: Can someone explain scoring on multianswer questions?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Lynn,
I have not played around with the scoring functions of multianswer type in a while. I just responded to Tom's post which sort of related.

Thanks for your post, I will see if I can reword MoodleDocs about Lesson pages to make a better explanation.

In a multianswer question type, the student either answers the entire question correctly, or does not. There is no partial credit. That is the way it works smile. And all the correct answers should have the same jump, same score and same response. And all the wrong answers should have the same jump, same score and same response. And that is the way that works big grin.

So a student who only picks 1 of 2 correct answers, misses the question. The score (remember it is identical for every wrong answer) the teacher has selected for a wrong answer is recorded. When the student picks both the correct answers, they receive credit. When the student picks both the correct answers and one of the wrong answers, they missed the question.

I turned on custom scoring, displayed score, allowed review and 5 attempts in demo.moodle.org. As teacher I gave 2 points for the correct answer and -1 for a wrong answer. The student only got 2 points when they selected just the two correct answers. Any other combination, they received -1 .

Hope this helps. Best Chris

Average of ratings: Useful (1)