Desktop Quiz Maker

Desktop Quiz Maker

by Chris Kenniburg -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Can anyone recommend a desktop quiz making software? I was looking a eXe and Qedoc. I was wondering if there is something else out there specifically designed to create moodle XML formats for importing.

Thanks,
Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Kenniburg

Re: Desktop Quiz Maker

by Peter Poznyakov -
Hi Chris
As I know, Respondus works with most of CMS, and I did meet in the forum some extention?/plugin? for Moodle.
In reply to Peter Poznyakov

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Chris,

Have you looked at Hot Potatoes? It's already integrated with Moodle.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Peter Poznyakov -
As I remeber, Hot Potatoes had no import options. It means no advantages.

by John Isner -
Peter,
What do you mean by "no import options?" If you mean that you don't see a way to upload the Hot Potatoes file into Moodle, it is because Hot Potatoes is hidden by default. To Unhide it, go to Site administration -> Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities and open the "eye." Then go to a course. Turn editing on. In the Add an activity... menu you will see Hot Potatoes Quiz. If you select it, Moodle will ask you for a file to upload.

by Don Hinkelman -
Hot Potatoes is the most integrated quiz authoring platform for Moodle. As John says, just turn it on in Admin >> Modules, and read the extensive documentation if you have questions. Furthermore, the Hot Potatoes developer for Moodle, Gordon Bateson, told me many exciting improvements he is working on. Elearningforce and other SCORM-type/Flash-type quiz makers are also possible, but I have not tried these.

If the Moodle quiz authoring interface is too daunting, you might also consider making a GIFT format template in a text file to hand to teachers or students to insert the quiz content.

by William Peterson -
Hot potatoes is funny but really useful anyway. however, authentic SCORM compliant package seems more flexible on moodle. As desktop apps, Articulate QuizMaker or Question Writer can do a good job on this feature. Respondus is powerful, yet Wondershare QuizCreator has a great performance/price ratio. Those above are all my trials. All are not bad way for moodle. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chris Kenniburg -
Thanks for your responses. I was looking for a simple way for a teacher to create quiz questions and I think I found my answer. Along with some of your suggestions here, I found a new activity which will allow teachers to make the students create the questions as an assignment.

This seems, by far, the easiest way for a teacher to generate quiz questions: have the students do it!

Thanks Again.
Chris

by John Isner -
HI Chris,
Your original discussion topic was " Can anyone recommend a desktop quiz making software?" Now that you'll be having students make questions, I assume you're happy having them use Moodle's quiz creation interface, and you're no longer looking for desktop quiz-making software.

IMO given a topic like the one you posted, it would probably have been better for us (forum participants) to try to find out your underlying requirement by asking "What exactly are you trying to do?" instead of jumping on the technology-as-a-solution-to-everything bandwagon. We might have discovered quickly that you were simply looking for an easy way for students to create questions for Moodle. Then someone surely would have suggested the solution you eventually found (which is a very good one smile ).
In reply to John Isner

by Chris Kenniburg -
Hello John,
Sorry if you felt misled by me jumping on the technology-as-a-solution-to-everything bandwagon.smile Sometimes it's through these forums that you can work your way through an issue. Some of the non-tech teachers find it overwhelming to create quiz questions with moodle online with all the options and boxes to fill in. They want something more simple.

I think some of the suggestions posted here such as hotpotatoes and the like were very helpful and we are exploring them. Also, finding that Quiz Question Activity plugin really helped as well. It fits in perfectly with a student-centered learning environment.

I thought all the responses were very helpful as we move to explore other methods of creating quizzes.

Also, I was unaware of the GIFT format. That seems simple enough for teachers using notepad!!!big grin

Thanks Again to all,
Chris

by John Isner -
Sorry if you felt misled by me

Chris,
If you reread my post you will see that I did not criticize you. I was critical of the widespread tendancy to reply to posts like yours by immdiately offering technical solutions, rather than asking questions in an attempt to discover the underlying requirements. Since I was one of the people who replied with a "technical solution," I was actually being critical of myself!

GIFT is easy enough with Notepad, but there are also tools (like Excel templates) that make it even easier. Check it the documentation here.